Cemeterys Gun Blob

Handgun Microstamping bill - Not Ammo related

Any time I've heard about microstamping it's been about ammo.

All handguns already have serial numbers. I guess you could scratch it off, but couldn't you just scratch off a microstamp too?

Did some NJ politician just hear the word "microstamp" and misunderstand what was meant?

• Like 1

This bill is about handguns needing to be able to stamp some sort of serial number on the cartridge casing.

Think about the bill in CA that requires this on semi auto's, starting either in 2010, or 2011.

New York State has the same bill in their Senate right now.

Much like the .50 cal ban which was SUPPOSED to be specific to BMG and other cartridge firearms, but exmepting BP and non-fixed ammunition..until it went to the Assembly, in it's original, Complete ban on anything .50 or over form.

firearms owned prior to this law are exempt? :|

firearms owned prior to this law are exempt? :|

I hope so. I'm loving my Bushmaster M4. :mrgreen:

well its JUST handguns? so that wouldnt matter.. but still i dont want to lose OR have to jump through hoops for ANY firearms i own..

Like I've stated elsewhere Micro-Stamping is a wasted effort and serves only as a smoke & mirrors tactic for Corzine to add to a list of accomplishments for when re-election time rolls around.

For it to work a lot has to be done. Everywhere in the country has to be in on it otherwise the micro-stamped firing ping can be replaced with one that isn't or a non-stamped gun can be stolen or illegally purchased then brought into NJ. Plus reloading spent casings would have to be made illegal as well because enough stamps would make the serial number illegible and anyone could pick up a spent shell from a range, reload it, and shoot someone causing either multiple serials ending up on it or simply being used to frame someone. On top of that the public shouldn't be aware of this, period. Knowledge that it exists means actual criminals will be smarter about where they get their guns from or will end up picking up their spent casings thus defeating the purpose of this requirement.

Wouldn't the firing pin stamp identify the primer only, rather than the actual case? If so, when a case is reloaded, a new primer would be clear and able to take an identification stamp?

I guess they will make reloading illegal in NJ. I bet they will include something about it being illegal to alter the micro stamping function of any pistol. What if the firing pin breaks ? Will you need to have the gun re-registered after a new firing pin is installed ?

I guess they will make reloading illegal in NJ. I bet they will include something about it being illegal to alter the micro stamping function of any pistol. What if the firing pin breaks ? Will you need to have the gun re-registered after a new firing pin is installed ?

you are just hitting on some of the many reasons this is all just a bunch of bullshit.. someone was just arrested in upper township NJ with an illegal gun.. hmm where did it come from? NJ? NO PA? NO NY maybe? NO GEORGIA! laws like this are completely useless..

was just arrested in upper township NJ with an illegal gun

See, we do it too. Should be "arrested for the illegal possession of a gun. The gun is just a thing and committed no crime. The person did. Punish the criminal, not the tool.

I had heard some talk about the micro-stamp being placed on the breech face, bolt, etc, so that the imprint goes on the cartridge case instead of the primer. If it passes the bill states that it would become effective when the technology becomes available and NJ dealers would only be able to sell firearms with the new feature. This whole idea is just ridiculous.

Nightmare scenario: Bryco, Jennings, and Raven Arms make a comeback with microstamping. Those are all we can buy in NJ.

I think I just hurled.

P.S. No offense to readers who may own the above mentioned pistols. I have a Davis Derringer .32ACP in the safe. That's what happens when you have (1) about to expire pistol permit left and $69.99 in your pocket. :lol:

I was at the range last week and I was explaining how stupid microstamping is. What would stop a criminal (and yes they would be this smart) from shooting off a few rounds and picking up all the casings on the floor, go commit a crime and then scatter 30 different ones all over the crime scene and pick his own up. The cops would probably be able to figure out which range and hope for a security tape, but what if the perp was smart enough to wait a few months. Also, the stamp can easily be filed off on his weapon leaving a blank at the scene.

Its bad law designed to increase the price of shooting and an incremental step to banning. Just like Barney Frank said that the govt option plan is a step to single payer govt healthcare.

Then its time to get into revolvers.

That's covered also. The microstamp goes on the firing pin bushing in the frame. When fired, the cartridge case slams back against it and rebounds back.

yeah, but a revolver doesnt eject the spent cases...They could have your name, address, SSN, place of birth and favorite color on it....if you dont leave spent cases behind, its useless.

If it passes the bill states that it would become effective when the technology becomes available and NJ dealers would only be able to sell firearms with the new feature. This whole idea is just ridiculous.

Yup, and there's precedent for it with the silly "personalized" handgun law that's already on the books. Once one makes it to market, everything else becomes illegal. It's the worst kind of do-nothing, pandering legislation imagineable. Kinda like saying "Once we find a unicorn, all horses will be outlawed." No existing manufacturer will want to make such a thing knowing that the rest of it's catalog becomes obsolete in this market.

If it passes the bill states that it would become effective when the technology becomes available and NJ dealers would only be able to sell firearms with the new feature. This whole idea is just ridiculous.

Yup, and there's precedent for it with the silly "personalized" handgun law that's already on the books. Once one makes it to market, everything else becomes illegal. It's the worst kind of do-nothing, pandering legislation imagineable. Kinda like saying "Once we find a unicorn, all horses will be outlawed." No existing manufacturer will want to make such a thing knowing that the rest of it's catalog becomes obsolete in this market.

Imagine the uproar the 1st time a woman gets raped/murdered because she pointed her husbands gun in her home and it didnt go boom. Actually this is NJ, there wont be any uproar from the sheep.

That program's already ate up 5 million in taxpayer money. In 2003, they said it was 2 years away. Last year they asked for 2 million more in funding and said they were....2 years away. Don't expect it to come out ever.

Imagine the uproar the 1st time a woman gets raped/murdered because she pointed her husbands gun in her home and it didnt go boom. Actually this is NJ, there wont be any uproar from the sheep.

You know there will be an uproar.

Too bad it'll be about her handling an illegal gun, since it won't be hers.

You know there will be an uproar.

Too bad it'll be about her handling an illegal gun, since it won't be hers.

Ayup the County Prosecutor will be going after the Husband for Improper Transfer of a firearm or "Lending" a Firearm or some other stupidity...not to mention charging the vic for Agg Assault.

Apparently this one is back!  From an email from assemblymen Houghtaling & Downey:

From the State House: Legislative Updates

A-3934: Responsible, Common-Sense Gun Control Legislation
Houghtaling and Downey have introduced an original bill to require that all newly manufactured handguns sold in New Jersey be micro-stamped, and directs the Superintendent of Police to establish a database of gun sales in New Jersey. This combination of micro-stamping and reporting of gun sales will empower law enforcement to trace the origins of bullets used in criminal acts, and help eliminate unsolved gun crimes.

Won't happen. Their orig idea where the serial number would be on the firing pin and be stamped into each primer was proven to be not possible if I recall. But of course, those arse holes wont believe that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk