Sign in to follow this  
Chad

New (to me) little .22 revolver. RG14?

I picked up this tiny (phone is in pic for size reference) .22lr revolver today. Any idea what it is? RG14 .22lr miami, FL. Seems cheaply made, with simulated wood plastic grips. As seen in the pic in order to load / unload you must unscrew the rod to open the wheel. lol!

[attachment=1]RG.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]RG2.jpg[/attachment]

RG=Rotten Gun. A friend of mine has that in .38. It shoots 18" low at 15', has what feels like a 40lb. trigger pull and spits bits of bullet all over. Generally, not a great gun. I think an RG was used in one of the recent political assassination attempts, but I may just be repeating urban myth.

No wonder it was free! :roll: I can't be picky tho for the price I paid ;)

Yeah, but you burned a permit that you could have used for a gun instead of a paperweight. :D

Oof.

Reading that thread Ken linked...You'd best wear some leather gloves when you shoot that thing. Also seriously consider a full face shield and breastplate armor.

It'd probably be safer to make yourself a .22 caliber pipe pistol from the army's improvised munitions handbook.

tony357 + chad , it would still be a weapon in n.j. -

My computer could be considered a weapon in NJ if I use it as such. Did you mean firearm?

Even if it is not capable of firing a projectile?

And, FWIW, I would not do that to a gun regardless. I was just using a hypothetical. It is still a firearm, I don't care if it isn't the most reliable one in the world, or unsafe. I may not fire it, but I would certainly not destroy it. I will treat it as all my others are treated. ;)

IMO, although the RG may not be capable of being fired, but it is still a firearm by Federal law.

I find it interesting that NJ does not classify a frame or a receiver as a firearm, unless I am missing something here. This may be why criminals are found not guilty from the charge of "unlawful possession of a firearm" when their POS handgun is incapable of being fired.

Federal definition of a firearm:

1. any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive

2. the frame or receiver of any such weapon

3. any firearm muffler or firearm silencer

4. any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

New Jersey definition of a firearm:

"Firearm" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semi-automatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectable ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.

It is capable of being fired as of now, and it will stay that way. But hypothetically, if someone was to file down or remove the firing pin, or weld the wheel to the frame, etc rendering the gun unfireable, is that still considered a firearm? Unless I'm reading something right, if it is not be capable of firing / ejecting a projectile, slug, ball....etc. nj would not see it as a firearm?

It is capable of being fired as of now, and it will stay that way. But hypothetically, if someone was to file down or remove the firing pin, or weld the wheel to the frame, etc rendering the gun unfireable, is that still considered a firearm? Unless I'm reading something right, if it is not be capable of firing / ejecting a projectile, slug, ball....etc. nj would not see it as a firearm?
Not a NJ firearm, BUT a federal firearm, SO still a firearm.

state laws can be more strict than federal laws but can not conflict with them -