nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

1. Application type. Initial Firearms I.D. + 1 Pistol Purchase Permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Bergenfield Police Department

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Robert Boria

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 6 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard application form and mental health release form.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process. Detective Boria, returned my calls straight forward and helpful. Clerk at the Police records was also nice and helpful. Thank you!

1. Application type - Initial Firearms I.D.

2. Police Department where you applied - West Orange Police Department

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Detective Lopez

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 4 months

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - Standard application form and mental health release form.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process - FID card showed it was issued 2 months before I was made aware that it was ready, and that's only because I called to check on the status. It took me about 2 weeks just to get a hold of the detective.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID) -Initial FID and 1 Pistol Permit

2. Police Department where you applied - Mount Laurel PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - I don't remember his name, but he was a Detective and very nice

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - Applied on 7/14, *edit* received the letter yesterday, 8/3. Will be picking up the FID and P2P today. So total of 20 days!

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - Nothing additional

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) - The whole process has been pretty easy so far, references received their letters 3 days after I applied, fingerprinting was done last week, and all the forms have been filled out. So just waiting on the SP now. Mt. Laurel PD was pretty nice to deal with, everybody was plesant and friendly, had me in and out in only a few mins.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID + 3 permits

2. Police Department where you applied. : North Arlington

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. : Sergeant Reilly

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Initial Application - 26 May 2011, Finger Prints - 11 Jun 2011, Finished - 08 Aug 2011, Total Time ~ 2 months

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Nothing extra

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

Sergeant Reilly is fine to deal with in a 'No Frills' kind of way. When picking up the forms, The Police guy at the desk said he was going through gun applications from a year ago, after expressing dismay, he assured me these were from people who had not followed up.

When dropping off the completed forms, Sergeant Reilly informed me it could take up to 3 mths.

However I rang up first time to check on 26 July and was told the paper work was all back and just needed the time to fill in the FID + p2p, probably that thursday - all fairly congenial. I followed up with a call on 2 August and was given a much more brusque 'its not done yet' and 'you will be called'

It took me a week of phoning to try and actually get him at his desk first time and about 2 days worth the second time.

But its finally there so woohoo

+

-

1. Initial FID and one handgun permit.

2. Guttenberg, NJ

3. Delores with the Department of Public Safety

4. Thirty five days (the five additional days after the statute are me giving the city time and my work schedule).

5. No additional documents. Standard finger

6. No additional notes.

Initial experience:

1) Initial App for FID and 1 PP

2) Lakewood PD

3) Few people in the records department

4) About 2 1/2 months

5) Not that i can remember

6) This was almost 5 yrs ago. I followed up with them about a month after submitting and they actually LOST my application. The detective i spoke with was VERY helpful and really went out of his way to "find" the app. I then pretty much followed up every-other week and I believe this really expedited the issuance of the FID/permit.

Most recent:

1) Address change on FID/ 1 PP

2) Neptune PD

3) Det. Gamble

4) 3 1/2 months

5) Employment verification and 2 written referrals

6) Neptune says it will take a minimum of 3 months so i didnt follow up until exactly 90 days. They said they never received the emplyment verification (i work in a small office and i am the manager, THEY never actually sent the document at all) so i asked them to "re-send" it, they did, my boss filled it out and mailed it back. FID/Permit was issued about 2 weeks later. Also Det. Gamble had no problem fingerprinting me for the Florida CCW FBI background check.

Thought I'd post this little story I heard while handing in my permits on Wednesday. The officer said they don't have any more cards and permits to give out! They've contacted the state police to re-order a few times but to no avail. Way to go state police and Bayonne PD!

I call bullcrap on that one, Ray. It's become apparent that a couple of the detectives there are no fans of the 2A; absolutely HATE giving out permits, and have lied to more than a few applicants about losing paperwork, missing references, etc. It may be time for Chief Kubert to hear from a lawyer on this subject...

Regards,

Scott Y

I call bullcrap on that one, Ray. It's become apparent that a couple of the detectives there are no fans of the 2A; absolutely HATE giving out permits, and have lied to more than a few applicants about losing paperwork, missing references, etc. It may be time for Chief Kubert to hear from a lawyer on this subject...

Regards,

Scott Y

Took me over 2 months to finally get my permits. June 22nd applied, August 31st received. What used to take less than a month has turned into over 2 months.

2. Jefferson Twp PD

3. No particular contact, just whatever Detective was on FID duty that night (scheduled hours are only 3hrs one night a week).

5. No extra forms

1. FID Only (Late Summer, 2008)

4. 6 weeks

1. 1x PPP

4. Nov 20 - Dec 23 2008 (just over 30 days)

6. I e-mailed the detective on 12/23 for a status update, was told they were waiting for my mental health check to come back. That afternoon I got a call that it was ready.

1. 1x PPP

4. Nov 2 - Dec 14, 2010 (6 weeks)

6. I e-mailed the detective on 12/10 for a status update, was told the paperwork "just came back, should be issued within a week". Got a call it was ready the following Tuesday (their scheduled FID day).

1. FID Only (for Wife)

4. Early Spring 2011, about 12 weeks

6. This was my experiment. I let them go unprovoked (no e-mails/calls for status) to see how long they would take. When it finally did come back, we went in one night to pick it up and it just so happened that the detective on duty for FIDs had to make a prisoner transfer. They're open from 6-9pm, we waited from 6:15-8:30 before we finally left when they said "We don't know when he'll be back". Went back the following week and got it.

The detectives are plenty nice when you can actually get to meet with them. Most of the time we wind up chatting about gun related topics while processing paperwork. We have never had any passive aggressive statements or anything from them (like "What do you need a gun for anyway?"), they've even asked what I was planning on buying, or said things along the lines of "Make sure you buy something good with that". I think they might take a while because of the volume of FID related things, the police chief probably only signing for 3 minutes a month, and them needing to perform their other detective duties. Regardless though, it should be quicker, but it could be far worse from the sound of it in other towns.

1. Application type. Initial FID with 2 permits.

2. Police Department where you applied. Pemberton Twp PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Two different people at the records counter.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 36 Days (8/2/11 - 9/7/11)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Nothing Additional

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). No issues and no hassle to the references or employer.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID with 1x PPP

2. Police Department where you applied. Marlboro

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. LEO Murphy

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. TBA (applied 09-22-11)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Township "questionnaire" with 2 references to list. Form/letter req for employment verification.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). The LEO was friendly; didn't ask any questions re:firearms/etc whatsoever (I think my not-so-thrilled at the begging 1+ year old daughter helped to divert a lot of the attention). Was told that the usual time frame is 30 days. We'll see how it goes.

From what I see, Bayville holds the distinction of longest wait. 5 months. I know the last time I applied was 4 months which is TOOOOOO long. Lacey was 2 weeks for PP after about 50 PP in the file.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID & 3 permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Secaucus, Hudson County, NJ

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective DeGennaro

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Applied 18 Aug 2011; Approved 29 Sep 2011 (6 weeks - this would have been quicker except I was overseas which delayed the finger printing)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). none

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). My wife also applied and received at the same time. We received our Green Cards in August 2011 and have been residing in the USA for < 2 years, hence we were expecting our applications to be more challenging. Also expected additional complexities as we have both moved countries a number of times in the last 10 years. However Dt DeGennaro and the Secaucus PD were professional, courteous and helpful. If only every applicant had our positive experience!

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID & 1 permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Cliffside Park

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective McKay

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Applied: beginning of Sept 2010; Approved:sometime in december 2010 (Took few phone calls to remind him i am still waiting)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). N/A

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

Nothing really. Pretty easy process.

For the other 2 permits i just got the wait was about a month and without any problem.

Geno.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 2 permits, already had FID from 5 years ago which took just over 3 months originally.

2. Police Department where you applied. Woodbridge PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Can't recall

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Applied: applied August 17 received permits August 30 2 weeks later ( it was awesome )

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). N/A

all went well, just had to step out to quick check for a money order... if u want to save a few buck go to your bank..

The best part was I applied for 2 then when signing for em I complained that I should of got more and explained why then on the spot I was asked if I would like more and I obviously said yes they offered 2 more but I just went with 1, and now I regret only getting 1 more.. .. so long story short I applied for 2 and left with 3.. Woodbridge PD awesome turn around time.. took my sisters bf 4weeks for fid and permit.

1. Application type- 2PP

2. Police Department where you applied. -Toms River

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. varied

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 50 days 2 more just applied for last week- still waiting

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). references, prior addresses, other persons living in home

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process No problems, but the woman who used to do it was awesome. When she retired, permits because hit or miss. When I mentioned the 30 day limit set by the Attorney General, they replied, "Oh well---"

1. Application type - (FID & 2 pistol permit)

2. Police Department where you applied. - Allendale, NJ

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - Sgt. Carey

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 6 weeks - would have been 4 if neighbor would look at his mail and if I could have gotten finger prints faster.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - None

Great guys to deal with.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID + 2 Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Mahwah PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Officer Horn

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Fingerprinted on the 10th, called this morning (27th) to notify me that I can pick up my FID+Permits

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Previous residence

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). When I went to originally pick up my paperwork the desk officer forgot to give me the case number for Morpho-trak. Went back to get the number and scheduled my fingerprinting for the following week in Ridgewood. Before I even got fingerprinted Officer Horn had already sent my references their letters! Was originally quoted at 3 months or so for wait time and it took less than the 31 max required by law so I am ecstatic. Not sure if it helped that one of my buddies is now a LEO in Manhattan though. Everyone I spoke to at the station was extremely helpful as well.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).

New FID Application with 1 PPP

2. Police Department where you applied.

Old Bridge Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

N/A - A secretary or someone who filed the paperwork.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.

Time after submitting paperwork and Sagem Morpho Finger Printing: A little over 5 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

N/A

N/A

1. Application type: New FID with 1 x pistol permit

2. Police Department: Bernards Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: dont recall, Records dept.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: References contacted within 2 weeks of submission, Fingerprinted 7/18, Issued on 8/17. (Sagem Morpho appt was 3.5 wks out, no fault of BTPD)

5. Documents required by the PD: Standard Docs + BTPD basic personal information form

6. Notes - Smooth as could be.

1. Application type: FID change of address and 3 PPP's

2.Police Department: Monroe Township.

3.Name of person you dealt with at the PD: Dispatcher. Did not get her name but was quite pleasant,however had to remind her that I was to sign the mental health release in front of her as a witness.

4.Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 42 days. Submitted paperwork on 9/23/2011, prints done on 10/11/2011,references received and mailed back on/about 10/4/2011 pick up on 11/4/2011.

5.Documents required by PD:Standard documents, no additional requests.

6.Notes. Received a call this morning stating that my replacement FID and PPP's were ready for pick up Tomorrow 11/4/2011 and I was to put $11.00 in cash in an envelope along with my old FID and address it to Dominic. And to remember the one gun every thirty days rule.

All in all quite a surprisingly short and hassle free process thus far but why only $11.00?

Everything was waiting at the records office and I was in and out in 2 minutes.

Thank you Monroe Township PD.

I'm starting this thread hoping to gather enough data about the FID/permit application process across NJ to compile a reference for new gun owners. If you already have your FID, please consider making a post in the following format:

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID + 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Manchester Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Do not recall

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.About 5 months. I waitied about 60 days before calling because I was out of town for an extended time. They told me they received everything except one reference. I talked to the reference, and he had sent it in. He sent it again, they did not get it. I finally hand carried the signed reference to the PD and got the permit within one month. One of my P2P expired, and that took about 5 days to renew.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Just the standard stuff

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)

Must move to other state...A friend in TX just went through the same basic procedure that we have for FID (May have been a proficiency test, but not difficult)--but thier process is much faster, and that was for a CCW permit!

Quick update to post 161:

Applied on 09-22-11, picking up today (11-09-11).

Somewhat unamused by 6 week process, but I honestly don't blame anyone.

1 week was lost due to my employer forgetting to fax the [illegal] employment verification form, but it wasn't till I called the PD to ask if they need anything that I found that out. Had HR fax the form - PD still didn't get it. Refaxed it myself in the office. Got a phone call 2 days later from the PD - where's the form (the firearms officer said "yeah, they didn't give it to me" alluding to non-importance of this stuff, from the say she said it)? Grrr. I took that fax confirmation page and drove there to hand it in.

From there i was told by the end of the week. Come Friday I call 'em, only to find out that "yeah, your stuff's been ready for the last 2 days, but the girl is off today (can't blame people either-just doing their jobs) - so it will have to be next week." Sunday 1 of the officers calls me (9AM too), and says everything's ready-just has to be typed up and signed by the chief.

Great-I think to myself; now I'm gonna wait another 2 weeks for chief to actually get these in his hands. But then, yesterday, my wife says both of our stuff is ready to be picked up. Going today.

Side note:

I know a couple of LEOs in town (very well), and my next door neighbor (good friends) is a good friend of the chief.

I DID NOT ask for any special treatment or ask anyone to "give my case a nudge."

Wasn't in a rush, and wanted to see how long it would take if I was treated as an "average Joe."

.....and I certainly don't like to be in a position to have to "repay any favors" regardless of their nature (I like to manage on my own, if I can of course).

Final reflection:

Like I said at the beginning-I don't blame anyone. I don't consider these types of things (FIDs/etc) to be priorities for any one PD, and don't blame them for not being ready to process everything for us in a "drive though window" style. Some are understaffed (when it comes to this type of administrative work/etc), some have "better things to do," etc.

Everyone I dealt with was pleasant or cordial and helpful; not once did I feel rushed, bullied, ignored, etc.

I'll bet there are PDs and people who will treat you otherwise, and I can only hope these will be far and few in between.

As long as it takes them a "reasonable amount of time" (within, or just a bit more that 30 days) I'm fine with it; when it takes them 2,3 or more months.........that's when it simply isn't right.

Sorry for the long post - figured some may be interested.

1. Application type: 2 pistol permits

2. Police Department where you applied: East Rutherford

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Officer Abboud

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: Filed 12/8/11 - will update when received.

5. Documents required by the PD: Standard permit form + $2 per pistol permit. Also, mental health form + $18 payable to State Police SBI.

6. Notes: I had no idea I was going to be asked for an additional $18 for another mental health check, considering I did my full application for FID only 14 months ago. Is that standard when requesting additional pistol permits?

Two separate instances, one for just my FID and then one for pistol permits:

Instance 1:

1. FID

2. Mahwah PD

3. not sure, whomever was sitting at the desk

4. 3 weeks and 2 days

5. standard forms (i.e. are you a drug user, felon, alcoholic, etc...)

6. completely hassle-free and professional.

Being new to firearms in Jersey I asked how long it would take and he replied "a few weeks." When I mentioned, I had read stories of 3+ month waits, his reaction was one of disbelief "what? no".

Instance 2 (about 3 months later):

1. 2 handgun permits plus dropped off FFL C&R

2. Mahwah PD

3. not sure, whomever was sitting at the desk (different person from instance 1)

4. about 3 to 4 weeks (mostly due to "waiting on State Police")

5. same paperwork as instance 1 (they make you fill out the exact same form twice)

6. again, professional and hassle-free. Desk officer made me wait while he read the C&R since they've never seen one before.

Overall experience:

My experience with Mahwah PD has been excellent. There's no hassle, no BS, nothing. They do their job in a professional manner. (They also have really good programs they do with kids, but that's another discussion). I couldn't be happier with them.

1. Application type: Initial FID and 1 P2P

2. Police Department: Hawthorne

3. Name of the person you dealt with: Not sure. 2 different guys. Didn't get names.

4. Time taken to issue: 51 days for both

5. Documents required: Standard

6. Notes: Morpho (for fingerprints) took 2 weeks to get an appointment from my date of submitting application. The rest of the process was painless. Picked up the FID and P2P yesterday, brought home my Christmas present this morning!

1. Application type. Initial Firearms I.D. + 2 Pistol Purchase Permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Pennsauken Police Department

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Audrey R.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 10 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard application form and mental health release form.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process. Finger prints were done by morpho; cost was around $60. The lady that handled the FID was only there from 10-12 and 1-3 Tuesday - Thursday, this made it difficult to get there with a normal job,

1. Application type - FID with 2 PPs
    2. Police Department where you applied. West Windsor Township PD
    3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective
    4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 4 mnth and 1 week; additional permits - around 8 weeks each time
    5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None, but called my wife and my boss
    6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). 3 years ago.

1. Application type: Initial FID and 3 P2P

2. Police Department: Lawrence Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with: Detective Burns

4. Time taken to issue: 12 days from dropping off all forms

5. Documents required: Standard application + Mental Release Form + a handgun experience questionnaire (nothing really that involved)

6. Notes: Det. had me collect all the forms for him (ie personal reference forms) and get a letter from work saying I work where I said I worked on the forms. I didn't mind doing the legwork as I ensured everything was done quickly. Longest part was waiting on Morpho appointment.

1. FID application, 1 Permit w/ initial FID

2. Little Egg Harbor NJ PD

3. Current contact: Detective Malega (pleasant to deal with when I did speak with him)

4. Time taken to issue the FID: 14 Weeks (clerk said 14 weeks at time of application)

5. Additional documents required by the PD: Nothing Non-standard.

6. Notes: None, although it took a long time in my opinion, PD was polite and got the FID and permit no problem.