nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): FPID/Pistol Permit

2. Police Department where you applied: Bridgewater PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Robert Hanlon

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit :28 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): No other document requirements. Signed for receipt of documents when I picked them up.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). I needed to extend a pistol permit and it took 24 hours to have it extended for another 90 days.

Application type: Initial FID w/ permits

2. Morristown Bureau of Police (Morris County)

3. Sgt. Matt Edwards

4. 15 days start to finish

5. Nothing was required other than the standard forms, although you need to make an appointment with Morpho Corp. for fingerprinting

6. From the time I filled out my applications to fingerprinting to issuance of my FID and permits it took 15 days. I am an EMS officer in town so I know the sgt personally, but still, 15 days is hard to beat. He kept in contact with me and called me to let me know he was in. The only thing that held it up alittle was the fact that one of my references didnt hand in his form until 3 days ago.

All in all, great experiance and I cant wait to get my gun!

1. Application type: FID w/ 1 permit

2. Police Department where you applied: Union Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Det Baird

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: about 51 days (I did not chase at all and I had to wait 3 weeks to schedule a date to get fingerprinted by MorphoTrak)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Criminal History Record Information form and Signed Purchase Restriction (1 handgun per person/month). All of this conveniently located in the Union Township website.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process: The Detective was really helpful. He even accommodated my schedule to come in early for me to get fingerprinted as I start work very early and end the day very late. He called home and told my wife when I could pick up the permits.

I now want to get additional permits but this seems to be a pain in the arse if they need to contact my references each time I would like to get additional permits. I had no clue that you would not be able to have just 1 handgun. I was thinking of just getting a permits every three months (or extending an existing one) so I have them just in case I find a great deal.

1. initial fid card and 3 pistol permits

2. pennsville police department

3. lt. allen cummings

4. dropped off completed forms 1/9/12...fingerprinted by morphotrak 1/10/12....was called on 1/20 that my id card and 3 permits were ready to be picked up....so 10 from fingerprinting to picking up permits...counting weekends and mlk bday...

5. 5 pages ...1.fid application 2. mental health/hipaa form 3.employment verification form 4&5. 2 personal reference forms all included in application packet and i filled out/got filled out by references/employer and turned in together

6. no problems or calls from pd aside from the one letting me know they were ready.....all the officers i came into contact with were friendly, courteous, helpful....very positive experience

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): FPID/Pistol Permit

2. Police Department where you applied: North Haledon

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Captain Todd Darby

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit :42 days from application submission

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): I had to get fingerprinted by a independent company before I could submit my application(not sure if this is standard, but thought I would mention).

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). I contacted Capt Darby approx a week before my permit was ready to check on the status and make sure my reference and employer letters were received. Not sure if it helped or not, but I received my call to pick them up a week later after he was going to "send a tracking request" to the state and feds.

1. Application type - New FID + 2 ppp

2. Police Department where you applied. Hoboken

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Primarily Officer Roofe, also Officer Gonzalez

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 6 weeks including xmas and new year's

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Secondary form with a little more info plus an employer contact they verify employment with.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). The two officers were very responsive and professional. I made two follow-up calls to see if they had any questions, found my one ref hadn't sent the form back so I followed up with him and the second call they returned the next day to tell me permits were ready.

1. Application type: FID and hangun purchase permit

2. Police Department where you applied: Ringwood

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Dunno - the girl at the counter

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: FID - 3+ months... handgun purchase permit - 3 months and counting...

5. Documents required by the PD: Just the standard forms

6. Notes: nothing special, it just takes forever. I submitted my handgun purchase permit app at the end of November and my references just received their letters last weekend. I would complain, but I'm afraid they would just bury my paperwork.

EDIT: Just received my handgun permit this morning - took about 4 months. The officer in charge of the approval process was on hand to check my ID and actually hand it over. Nice guy and I sincerely like and appreciate the Ringwood PD, just wish the approval process was a bit more efficient.

1. Application type: Initial FID and 3 handgun puchase permits

2. Police Department where you applied - Fair Lawn

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Detective Ferreira, Detective Roskowsky

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 52 Days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - Notarized document stating that you are not a convict/alcoholic/drug dependent etc.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) - They quoted me a 6-8 week time frame, and it took 7.5 weeks, so pretty accurate. They do these in batches as another forum member applied about 10d after me and got his FID/permits the same day I got mine. Additional permits also take 6-8 weeks, or so I was told. Don't bother calling until at least 6 weeks have passed - they usually don't pick up anyway.

1. Application type Initial FID Request + Permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Manchester

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Unknown Clerk at Records

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 24 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).Notarized document stating I am not a drug/alcohol abuser. Fingerprinted at a third party location for the background check ($60)

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Shocked at the admittance of the clerk it should take 3 months for the request to be approved, and even more shocked that the approval notice came in 24 days. Way to go Manchester!

1. Application type Pistol Permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Scotch Plains

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Unknown Clerk at Records

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 36 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Needed to sign a "receipt form" where they just document that I actually picked up my permit

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Minor annoying thing is that they don't tell me exactly what they're waiting for after I know they received my references back. Not sure if it's mental health check or whatever from the state. They also don't just call you to tell you it's ready, or mail it to you...they mail you a letter saying to come get it and they have you sign that receipt form. Not the worst process in the world, but adds a few days.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).FID 3 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. North arlington

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Sgt Reilly

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. almost 8 weeks from date of fingerprints

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). 2 forms of ID , proof of residence

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) It is possible the permits were ready sooner..we kept missing each other on the phone for 3 weeks. Unless he was calling to tell me to stop calling . :) They were nice to deal with. Sure could have been faster , but they were polite . Also of note - they got my references out ASAP . My people had the references in their hands within 3 days of the application.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID Change of Address plus 3 P2P permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Ocean Twp (Waretown)

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Det. Rogalski

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 35 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Smooth transaction, detective was very nice and helpful

Hey folks. I picked up my NJFPID and permit on Tuesday Feb 14. Original application went in Novermber 23rd. I was assured by Connie that the long wait was a fluke because of some internal issues in the PD. So, I decided to apply for 5 more permits right then. She seemed a little exasperated and gave me a double take since I had just gotten my permit and now was going to make her type 5 more that I may or may not use. *shrugs*

But, I got a text from my buddy who is NYPD that I use as my reference that he has received the form from Woodbridge PD for my next round of permits. That is three days from app. I guess we'll see how long it takes. I can only assume that NJSP got their stuff by now.

5 permits in the pipe. Original App date Feb 14, 2012. Tick Tock!

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID with one pistol permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Woodbridge

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Can't remember her name White lady with dark curly hair very knowledgeable and nice

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 29 days applied January 11 2012 and received February 9

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Had me sign a juvenile records form.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). None surprisingly

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 Pistol Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. East Windsor

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Brian Gorsky

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 15 days. applied 1-31-12 received 2-14-12

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Brian Gorsky likes to stay on top of this stuff and not let it sit around. I, fortunatly, live in a very good town for FID an PP needs

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID

2. Police Department where you applied. Roselle Park

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Woman who runs the Records Room (Don't remember her name, very pleasant)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 21 days from start to finish

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Employment verification and 2 personal references.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). I never spoke to anyone during the entire process. Very fast, very easy to complete. All-in-all, extremely easy.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). - Initial FID & 2 Purchase Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. - Asbury Park

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - Detective ( very friendly and polite )

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - applied Feb. 21 - still waiting

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - 2 reference letters

6. Notes. - I was already told up front that I will be waiting "a pretty long time". he said that it used to take forever and then there was a while when it was super quick, but now it takes awhile again. Go figure

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): FPID

2. Police Department where you applied: Bound Brook PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Lt. Stephen Spolarich

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit :Ongoing, started 2/17/12

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). I waited 2 weeks to get the fingerprints done due to convenience for myself. Also one of my references lost her questionnaire due to personal reasons and I had to resubmit my standard form with a new reference (they kept my previously received reference). Lt. Spolarich also had to call me for more info because my previous PD wouldn't release my records without me providing the date my previous FPID was issues.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). permit for pistol

2. Police Department where you applied. berkeley hgts

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. dective patrick moran

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. put it in today 4/11 - to b updated

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). std stuff

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

1. FID Change of Address + 4 Handgun Permits

2. NJSP Hamilton

3. Sgt. Dority

4. Put in on 4/17/12 to 8/24/12 = 4months 7days

5. Standard forms. Nothing extra

6. Was surprised I didn't need to be reprinted for the permits.

1. Application type : INITIAL FPID AND 1 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied: HOBOKEN PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: LIEUTENANT JAMES ROOFE

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 27 DAYS ALL IN

5. Documents required by the PD: AN ADDITIONAL QUESTIONAIRE AND A FORM CONFIRMING I'VE NEVER HAD ANY RESTRAINING ORDERS OR VIOLENT OFFENSES.

6. Notes - LT ROOFE WAS OVERALL PRETTY DILLIGENT AND HELPFUL, BUT I FEEL IT COULD HAVE BEEN LONGER HAD I NOT FOLLOWED UP A FEW TIMES (VERY POLITELY).

1. Application type : INITIAL FID AND 3 P2Ps

2. Police Department where you applied: MATAWAN

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: MRS. SALVATORE IN RECORDS

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 32 DAYS FROM DROPPING OFF APPLICATION; 21 DAYS FROM THE DATE MY SECOND REFERENCE RETURNED LETTER

5. Documents required by the PD: JUST THE NORMAL STUFF

6. Notes - MRS. SALVATORE WAS EXCELLENT TO WORK WITH, VERY PROFESSIONAL AND HELPFUL. OFFICER SIKOWSKI WAS THERE WHEN I PICKED UP MY ID CARD AND WAS ALSO EXCELLENT, ASKED ME WHAT I WAS GOING TO BUY AND TOLD ME ABOUT HIS CARRY AND OFF DUTY GUNS, REAL COOL GUY. ALL IN ALL GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH THE FOLKS AT MATAWAN PD.

Rich

1. Application type : 3 P2Ps

2. Police Department where you applied: cherry hill

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: det vitarelli

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: approx 30 DAYS FROM

DROPPING OFF APPLICATION;

5. Documents required by the PD: this township sends a custom written cherry hill township

police firearm form to your 2 listed references. under the previous poice chief it had to be signed;

new chief has decided it must be notarized. they also send a form to your closest living relative

and your employer. both of these must be signed and notarized too.

6. Notes - the notarized form caused me a lot of problems with my references, like one who could

not get to a notary. also- what do you do if your type of employment (i.e. teacher or museum or nurse)

would indirectly label you as a rambo for wanting a firearm? det vitarelli was good with returning calls.

1. Application type: 1 Handgun permit

2. Police Department where you applied: Runnemede

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Chief

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: submitted 4/13

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): 2 references and employment verification

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process: all references and employment verification were returned by 4/19

I'm starting this thread hoping to gather enough data about the FID/permit application process across NJ to compile a reference for new gun owners. If you already have your FID, please consider making a post in the following format:

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID); Standard State Police

2. Police Department where you applied; Ewing

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Jack Bryden

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 30 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Standard

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

1. Application type: 2 Handgun permit

2. Police Department where you applied: Lindenwold

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Bonnie

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: submitted 2/1/12

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): None

6. Notes - Picked them up 4/23/12 and was required to have a photo taken "for their records".

1. Application type: initial FID and 1 pp

2. Police Department where you applied: union pd

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: DET. Baird,

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: submitted March 26, 2012- (April 4th morpho trak) - 64 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): PD sent out letters to be filled out by references within the first week, very good.

6. Notes- the DET. Is very hard to get a hold of, but the whole PD was pretty friendly Overall?

50 days and still counting..... Finally got a hold of the DT after 3 Tries, actually I left a voicemail and he called back. This time he sounded really polite but gave me a really shady answer, saying that the township of union is actually doing their own investigation on me if I had any priors or domestic violence, which doesn't make sense because isn't that the detectives job? He said it was out of his now and doesn't know how long it takes.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). New FID w/ 2 pp

2. Police Department where you applied. Piscataway PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 57 Days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). 2 reference letters from friends

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)

Det. and PD were very polite and professional.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). New FID w/ 2 pp

2. Police Department where you applied. East Brunswick PD 08816

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. The ladies in the "second door on the right" (Police records dept)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. +- 7 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). some sort of permission to access juvenile records

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)

Seems like the Captain is always "out today", or on vacation...