Radek

.45 vs .40 vs 9mm vs 380, etc ...

40 caliber pistols do this...

IMG_2039.JPG

I love the versatility of a 9mm. Enjoy 45 ACP... and love playing around with 45 Gap.

Not to biased because I know the owner, but this CAN happen to ANYONE regardless of the caliber and gun.

I have loaded and shot roughly over 20,000 rounds of 40s&w and I have not run into a problem.(yet) TonyS, the owner of that fine looking Glock has reloaded just about the same amount of 40s&w as well, but he ran into a problem. There were some tell tale signs of a squib, but the shooter and RO did not react in the correct manor. And we have seen the result. (side note it appears that the only damage was to the KKM barrel only, further testing will let us know more)

That being said, the recoil felt can be influenced by several things.

Factory or reload? Factory ammo will have more recoil than reloaded.

Power factor? Loading hot or softball loads?

Gun? The ammo being shot will "feel" differently through different guns. Shoot the same ammo through a Glock 27 and full length dustcover STI or SVI and you will notice the difference. Try shooting 9mm ammo traveling at around 1500 fps through a gun that is not set-up to run it.

Shooter? An improper grip can influence the recoil felt compared to a proper grip.

40S&W and 380ACP just suck. Never made any sense to me.

The 40s&w is probably my favorite round. Granted I reload and don't shoot factory ammo. But I can customize the load to whatever I want. Hot, soft, plinking, etc. Works great in the guns I own, and have access to. Plenty of stopping power. I have no comment on the .380. Never shot it.

Theres no such thing as plenty of stopping power for a pistol!!! :icon_eek:

All you need is one well placed shot and you have all the stopping power you'll need. If not you have several more shots to make them count.

Hate to burst your bubble but...no. And especially not with a .40. Mil and FBI tests never released for public consumption showed that HP rounds fired at cadavers exibited a tendancy to deflect EVEN if they were a perfect shot placement. Only calibers, like the 45, with rounds above 200 grains seemed to reliably track straight at its point of entry. I really dont feel like going and digging up all the cases of people that actually had their hydraulic pump (heart) actually hit and lived long enough to kill the good guys. Make no mistake, a pistol is not a light saber or magic wand, its a proven fact it is an unreliable stopper. A good CM shot helps your odds but I wouldnt rely on it. My pistol is for fighting my way back to my rifle!

• Like 2

My pistol is for fighting my way back to my rifle!

I see this sentiment often. The reality you will never get a chance to get to your rifle unless it's a standoff situation like the Koreans during the Rodney King riots.

I recently finished "Surviving the Economic collapse" by Fernando Ferfal Aguirre and it been useful for clarification on these subjects. The book is about the collapse of the economy in Argentina in 2001 and the lessons Ferfal learned. He makes a point that all guns are useful and you should always carry a pistol. Furthermore, almost all gun fights are completely unexpected and very short term in duration. In a civil break your rifles will be useful but generally as a visible deterrent more so than actual gun fighting. You won't be drawing your pistol, shooting, then retreating for a protracted fight.

These things don't apply to full out military conflict but at that point, you're going to have your rifle on you 100% of the time.

I also understand that the above quote is just something that is said to reflect that you understand that a pistol is quite inferior to a rifle. In "uncivil" society as opposed to warfare, handguns make all the difference despite their inferior ballistics performance.

"I also understand that the above quote is just something that is said to reflect that you understand that a pistol is quite inferior to a rifle. In "uncivil" society as opposed to warfare, handguns make all the difference despite their inferior ballistics performance."

Exactly! Id much rather have a 45 on my belt than a rifle at home!

MOSSBERGS 500/590s will cycle Minishells pretty well once the shooter acquires a "feeling" as to how to pump the action; however, this will not prevent the occasional jam. To further solve the problem, we have lengthened and widened the little short metal bar (shell elevator), which catches the round to be subsequently fed to the ramp and chamber. This modification will not prevent you from firing regular size shot shells. The other modification that would decisively help in the proper cycling, would be to install the ejector in a more forward position to catch the spent shorter shell and eject it, before it may flip and cause jams. However, we DO NOT recommend you to do this, because you will most likely no longer be able to fire regular size shells.

Any competent gunsmith should be able to perform the modification to the elevator described above