YankeeFan

Christie responds to a question about Brian Aitken

Guest megaman

NJ politicians are slowly starting to realize they are at the helm of illegal laws. Its fun to watch!!!

Seems pretty genuine. Here's to Brian getting out by Christmas!

one thing about Christie (like him or not) is he is not afraid to get in your face and get loud (as I am sure we all have seen) his demeanor in that clip appears at least to be pretty sincere.. but only time will really tell.. I to hope he gets out soon...

i suspect that if christies DOES have national aspirations(and I REALLY do hope so) the gun laws in NJ are gonna become or start to become similar to other states in the USA

Unfortunately we're still at the whim of the AG. I'm not counting on any Legislative reform with her in power.

Gov. Christie, please find that the laws in this particular instance lead to an unjust/ridiculous result and send this poor guy home for Christmas!

I'm not as interested in this guy getting a full pardon as i am in him getting a real and fair trial. He may have broken a law and maybe he didn't, the whole point here is the fair trial part, not the just get the guy out of jail cause he got railroaded.

On a side note: the judges past trials should be heavily scrutinized for professionalism. He was forced out of position based on a different case, and it proved the judges lack of understanding the law. I don't understand how they can just get rid of him and not clean up the mess he created. I'm sure plenty of other people got unfair trials from this SOB.

• Like 2

Christie being a former United States Attorney for the State knows what the laws are and unfortunatly the law is the law and i think he is gonna side with the law even though we all know they are unconstitutional , hopefully he will get a reduced sentence or better yet a pardon but i dont see it .

I am glad the Governor is looking into this matter, hopefully once he see's the details of it he can come to a decision that appeases everyone. It will take careful consideration, because their are a lot of hearts keeping an eye on the situation. I don't know man, being Governor is a hard job with a lot of hard calls, reading all the articles I've read about this seems like an injustice especially regarding a long sentence. The gray area of the searched vehicle is also drawing some suspicion, and he had no criminal intent considering all his weapons were inoperable. I think if I'm not mistaken, the law says that any firearm rendered inoperable isn't a weapon in the state of NJ? The magazine is considered high capacity, but 7 years for a high capacity magazine, man that's insane.

i suspect that if christies DOES have national aspirations(and I REALLY do hope so) the gun laws in NJ are gonna become or start to become similar to other states in the USA

The governor does not write the laws the legislature does and they are still a democratic majority.

I Posted this already on the NJCSD but...

For just one second here imagine Christie has the ability to see the political opportunity he has with Brian Aitken.

He could say that this case which had drawn national outcries of injustice has made him take a close look at NJ firearms laws.

He could say NJ has a reputation for being the strictest state in the union when it comes to guns. And follow that up with but at what cost.

He could even say that how can being the strictest state with respect to restricting a Constitutional rights of citizens be a good thing? What has the cost been to the state of NJ in terms of culture, talent and wealth as people that felt their rights were being denied have fled to states where that right was not so heavily burdened.

He could go as far as to tie Heller, McDonald, and the current SAF suits into this and say what has been and what will be the financial cost to NJ for continuing to restrict the Constitutional rights of its citizens in light of these recent Supreme Court decisions that have clearly invalidated NJ's core precedents that support our current laws.

And lastly, the coup de gras, he could call on the NJ legislature to completely over hall the NJ firearms laws to bring them in line with the recent Supreme Court precedents respecting the Second Amendment to the US Constitution and how the law is applied to the good citizens of the state of NJ.

On that note he could commute Brian's sentence in time for Christmas and let the appeal process proceed. Not likely to happen but imagine where this guy would be on the national stage if he did just that...

• Like 1

Didn't he support the AWB?

When asked about CCW in NJ, didn't he say "Not in a million years"?

Didn't he appoint a liberal, anti gun AG?

Didn't he opine that current NJ gun laws are just fine?

Outside of the shooting community, Brian has been painted as a gun-running, suicidal psychopath with a grudge against his ex-wife. Furthermore, he was caught in the act of breaking laws that protect New Jersey's innocent children and brave Law Enforcement Officers from the savagery of the free world that exists outside of the safe and secure borders of Fortress New Jersey.

Christie is in a bad spot. I don't see him tying his political future to this incident. If he does anything positive, I think it's going to be a grudging admission of judicial misconduct to which he has no legal choice but to release Brian pending a new trial. Period. No mention of absurd laws. No mention of anything but his act of removing said judge from the bench, and his hope that justice will be properly served at Brian's next trial.

• Like 1

Didn't he support the AWB?

When asked about CCW in NJ, didn't he say "Not in million years"?

Didn't he appoint a liberal, anti gun AG?

Didn't he opine that current NJ gun laws are just fine?

Outside of the shooting community, Brian has been painted as a gun-running, suicidal psychopath with a grudge against his ex-wife. Furthermore, he was caught in the act of breaking laws that protect New Jersey's innocent children and brave Law Enforcement Officers from the savagery of the free world that exists outside of the safe and secure borders of Fortress New Jersey.

Christie is in a bad spot. I don't see him tying his political future to this incident. If he does anything positive, I think it's going to a grudging admission of judicial misconduct to which he has no legal choice but to release Brian pending a new trial. Period. No mention of absurd laws. No mention of anything but his act of removing said judge from the bench, and his hope that justice will be properly served at Brian's next trial.

+1 I think that you are DEAD on..

I think that what we miss is that we see the logic in what is wrong with the system... where as your average person just doesn't care as much.. to the average person it is more like "he broke the law.. what is the problem?" WE understand that it is ridiculous.. but to your average non-gun enthusiast I think it is a slightly harder sell...

This is where Mr. Aitken's documented attempts to comply with the law help. He *did* his "due diligence" to try and be inside the law. And Bryan Miller trumpeting that "guns are illegal, people shouldn't touch them" is not helping Miller's cause either. Most people believe that guns should be legal, with some restrictions. Add in police and judicial misconduct, and the perception of injustice is there. This went viral and national because Mr. Aitken's situation *is* sympathetic to the public. He tried to follow the law and ended up in jail.

And, if Gov. Christie wants to keep the law, he had better defuse this case pronto. Otherwise, in 2 years it'll be at SCOTUS... And that will be the end of "illegal with exceptions"

It's his anti-gun gut vs his political instincts. My bet is on his political instincts.

Why do you believe that the two are mutually exclusive? His anti-gun political instincts have already gotten him this far. What makes you think that's gonna change?

Why do you believe that the two are mutually exclusive? His anti-gun political instincts have already gotten him this far. What makes you think that's gonna change?

I agree, it is absolutely by no means a given that there will be any sort of positive outcome to Christie's review. However that said, he being a fairly sensible human being there may be a glimmer of hope.

Surely it would not only be justice but also a fantastic precedent that could be used to highlight the pitfalls of such stringent laws.

Christie being a former United States Attorney for the State knows what the laws are and unfortunatly the law is the law and i think he is gonna side with the law even though we all know they are unconstitutional , hopefully he will get a reduced sentence or better yet a pardon but i dont see it .

:facepalm: so the law is the law unless it is the Constitution? I seriously think that even native born citizens need to take the same test that immigrants need to get their citizenship. Here I'll give you an actual question that is on the test, the questions are posted on the INS site http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

"Q: What is the supreme law of the land?"

"A: The Constitution"

• Like 1

I agree, it is absolutely by no means a given that there will be any sort of positive outcome to Christie's review. However that said, he being a fairly sensible human being there may be a glimmer of hope.

Surely it would not only be justice but also a fantastic legal precedent.

Governors decisions such as pardons do not set legal precedent.