deni

NJ Legal Muzzle Brakes?

Can you guys list NJ legal muzzle devices?

Like I see some muzzle brakes that allow suppressors- does that make them illegal?

or is it as long as they're not flash hiders- it's ok, even if a suppressor can be attached to them(like surefire devices)

as long as its not a flash hider, its ok. If its on a threaded muzzle, the threaded muzzle itself is an evil feature therfore the device must be permenently attached (Silver soldered, welded, blind pinned etc)

FYI, flash hiders just like the threaded muzzles are not illegal in NJ. they are just one of the evil features that 2 or more will make a rifle illegal. For example, an SKS can have a flash hider, and so can an AR-15 style rifle as long as it doesnt have any other features (no pistol grip, bayo lug, collapsible stock etc).

Tell ya what, go pick the one ya like and Ill tell ya if I think its ok or not....

something like this

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?tabid=9&categoryid=17032&categorystring=10636***10560***8807***11619***&sortBy=RetailPrice%20desc&pageNum=2

trying to stay around this pricepoint.

Tin foil hat time, but I think I'd be careful about brakes/comps that can have a suppressor installed over them (usually by means of an Acme thread). Since the brake/comp is permanently pinned, it is considered part of the barrel (which is why you can take a 14.5" barrel and permanently install a 1.5" brake/comp and be NFA legal) - so you are now back to having a "threaded barrel". Just my usual paranoia.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Tin foil hat time, but I think I'd be careful about brakes/comps that can have a suppressor installed over them (usually by means of an Acme thread). Since the brake/comp is permanently pinned, it is considered part of the barrel (which is why you can take a 14.5" barrel and permanently install a 1.5" brake/comp and be NFA legal) - so you are now back to having a "threaded barrel". Just my usual paranoia.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

that's one of my concerns

Yeah but I dont know of a flash hider that has threads that big to fit over the brake :D.

Deni, which one specifically because those stoners on that link even though being sold as comps would in my opinion be considered flash hiders here.

that's the one i was actually trying to link to

the stoner heli-port

it doesn't specifically say it's a flash hider so how would one know

I wish we had a comprehensive list of sound and air blast per brake model.

Some brakes are horrendous, others not so much.

I have the Branson from PK.

1st time out with my M&P 15 with Mike at Old Bridge a gy came over afterwards and asked what we were shooting. He said it sounded like we were launching mortars ;)

I have yet to hear a quite brake on an AR when standing off to the side of it.

If you can stick your pinky in the front the state will make a stinky! The face of the muzzle needs to be close in size to the round passing through it. Those look completely open in the front the same as a flash hider. Look at the PRI on the same page, see how its closed in the front?

so would that mean battlecomp 1.0 would be legal but battlecomp 1.5 would be no good?

mikey, I have not stood to the side of my own rifle. However, at the last couple of matches many comented that my 308 didnt seem any louder than the 5.56's I was shooting with giving me the impression it does well with side blast.

Deni, its dancing on the edge even though its shallow so I in fact would not go with the 1.5 UNLESS I spoke with Nick at Battlecomp. They have been in contact with NJ directly as to the legality of their comps.

mikey, I have not stood to the side of my own rifle. However, at the last couple of matches many comented that my 308 didnt seem any louder than the 5.56's I was shooting with giving me the impression it does well qith side blast.

Deni, its dancing on the edge even though its shallow so I in fact would not go with the 1.5 UNLESS I spoke with Nick at Battlecomp. They have been in contact with NJ directly as to the legality of their comps.

I traded e-mails with Nick last month about the 1.5 and he said they are GTG in NJ as they are classified as compensators. I saw no documentation to back that up for NJ, but that is what Nick said.

There is no definition of what constitutes a flash-hider vs. a muzzle-brake / compensator in NJ law or the Admin Code. The BATFE won't weigh in on this since the Federal AWB is no longer in force, so the issue is moot.

Commonly accepted differences between the two would be, as was pointed out earlier, a closed end - that is an end with a hole only large enough to alow the projectile to pass through - denoted a brake/comp, while an open end denotes a flash hider, or something other than a comp/brake.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Ever stood to the side of it when someone else was shooting?

The battlecomp was specifically designed to minimize side blast compared to most brakes. That's not to say it doesn't have any.. I'm sure it does. But supposedly it is no where near as obnoxious as most brakes.

I like the PWS FSC556, which is what I use. It certainly has a noticeable amount of side blast, but, to the shooter, it's barely noticeable.

That said, if I do another AR, it will probably have a battlecomp.

I just had Adco install a EGW Gen II post ban comp on my Colt MT6400. The factory brake on the Colt was effective, but obnoxiously loud. I almost hated shooting that rifle because of it.

Tried it out last weekend, and I was very pleased with the performance of the comp, and found that the new comp is pleasant to shoot for me, and the people around me.

Muzzle flip is almost non-existent, and staying on target on rapid fire strings is easy.

The comp is very similar in appearance to a stock A2 flash supressor.

There are 2 versions of this comp, one for 20" rifle, and on for 16" carbine. The carbine version has 4 additional ports drilled at 4 and 7 o'clock, so that the muzzle is not pushed DOWN. It is a very effective design.

I WILL be getting another one for my 20" rifle.

Additionally, it goes without saying that Adco did an OUTSTANDING job installing the brake. Turnaround time was 24 hours from when they received my upper....I must have hit them just right.

Here's a link to the comp: http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=93

Jeff

I like the PWS FSC556, which is what I use. It certainly has a noticeable amount of side blast, but, to the shooter, it's barely noticeable.

I have two. They work great. One on a 20" that only gets two mags in FA, maybe a third with some semi mixed in or a couple minutes of a break. Or unless I just need to dump a few more mags. Another on an 11.5" that gets Beta dumps and sometimes uses suppressor. The latter has serious errosion on the front baffel. The former is fine. Not sure if it's the Beta dumps, short barrel, or suppressor. But I have checked several times and there is no loss of bullet stability from 2 to 7 to 100 yards and no frag on the paper. Also, with the 11.5", forget about the modest flash suppression (not a flash hider, of course). At 11.5", it's a flash enhancer. It's an F'ing volcano of sparks. Not flame, sparks. It's like a roman candle. It's actually very cool :D

$100 down the drain on that one, but keeping the one on the 20". They are good. Recently shot a friend's 16" middy with the standard A2. That actually works pretty good in 16" middy. I would guess it has more recoil (didn't notice) but no noticable muzzle climb in that configuration with the A2. I'm about to buy a 14.5", can't decide whether to go PWS or just start out with A2. Since it will be suppressed from time to time, I need to use peel washers so I hate to switch around. Maybe I just get a crush washer just to compare them.

I'm about to buy a 14.5", can't decide whether to go PWS or just start out with A2. Since it will be suppressed from time to time

Have you considered the BattleComp 2.0? It's certainly pricey, but my understanding is that it is designed to work with suppressors that will fit an A2.

http://174.36.133.117/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=19&zenid=flt1uvq0oeu0lu3f559g052oo3

how is the troy midieval brake?

Very sharp! If I remember correctly, DirtyDigz has one on his AR... but I've only seen his gun fired and haven't shot it myself to have an opinion on how effective it is as a comp/brake.

Have you considered the BattleComp 2.0? It's certainly pricey, but my understanding is that it is designed to work with suppressors that will fit an A2.

http://174.36.133.117/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=19&zenid=flt1uvq0oeu0lu3f559g052oo3

Wow, I'm not spending that much money on a comp. I think the PWS price of nearly $100 is rediculous. I appreciate the suggestion, I'm just way too cheap for that.

Only problem with that is the BC 2.0 is the same length as an A2 which means its not long enough to bring a 14.5" barrel to 16"+