Maksim

"Legality" of flying out of JFK as a NJ resident with a handgun

Ok. So here is the situation.

New Jersey resident flying out of JFK with a HANDGUN. (not a rifle/shotgun, makes a difference).

Now, while I have flown out with a handgun before with no issues, and many have from PHL, EWR, etc, you can get some very competitive rates flying to Vegas out of JFK. Now, while I know there is no TSA issue as long as you declare it, there is no definite answer as it comes to if you are breaking NYC law by having a handgun while traveling to the airport.

NYC law makes exemptions for long guns, however not for handguns. Even though it is all legal with the federal law, is there an issue with nyc local law?

While I am sure it would be cleared for in courts, dont want to spend the night in jail when Port Authority cops arrest me for transporting a handgun in NYC without a NYC permit.

Yeah..... I wouldnt push my luck that far....

I flew JFK to LAS in Feb for $200.02 round trip on Virgin America. Next cheapest was $300 plus out of PHL. EWR was around $400.

If the difference was $50 or less, I wouldnt bother and just fly EWR, PHL, or ACY. But right now, looks like at least $150 difference. I figure it is worth a look/investigation.

I flew JFK to LAS in Feb for $200.02 round trip on Virgin America. Next cheapest was $300 plus out of PHL. EWR was around $400.

If the difference was $50 or less, I wouldnt bother and just fly EWR, PHL, or ACY. But right now, looks like at least $150 difference. I figure it is worth a look/investigation.

we going to Vegas again Maks?

Can you ship the guns?

I'm shipping my ammo.

Apparently you can ship the gun to yourself, your name, just about finding the carrier who will take it.

I will probably be flying out of PHL, EWR, or ACY and bringing it with me, shipping the ammo.

Tony, Luis and I are flying to Vegas in Nov for USPSA Nationals.

call the airport speak to someone of authority get a name and ID number and just do it how you are told to do it...

I mean I am sure as others said there are other issues.. but I hate to see legal law abiding citizens bullied into doing things that are inconvenient... I would just call and find out the exact policies for what you are trying to do.. you are traveling from one state where the gun is legal.. to another state where the gun is legal..

that is as long as no crazy hotel type situations occur similar to those that caused that other guy to get locked up.. lol

good luck with it!

100 or 200 dollars extra are worth it for your peace of mind. I wouldn't try to fly out of JFK

Not to mention the hassles of getting to/from JFK.

Don't know how FOPA would work. Technically, your destination, by car, is JFK. You're not passing through and not going to a NRA sponsored event in NY, with NYC being worse than just the state of NY.

Not worth it.

I see why you would want to fly out of JFK. Kristen and I flew out of JFK for Shot and it was a good amount cheaper, especially for two people.

Not sure it will work with the guns though.

I know this is an old post but did not want to start a new one..

I just spent the morning researching for myself the risks of a NJ resident flying out of JFK airport. I spoke with the airline, the tsa and port authority Police. All told me it will not be an issue as long as I followed the rules for locked case, unloaded ect.

I went a step further and got in touch with the Port Authority Police desk sgt at JFK. The guy who would be responsible for arresting me if it came time to do so... In addition to regurdgitating the rules we had a candid conversation about past issues and the present status of Traveling with handguns thru JFK and explained the process. He said it is routine and would not be an issue.

He said most likely when I declare the firearm at the airline counter PA Police will be called over.. ( this is not something I have read about happening at other airports).They will verify I legally possess the handgun in NJ AND that I traveled DIRECTLY to the airport. He mentioned people coming to NY with a Handgun staying a few days and then attempting to fly out as the ones who have an issue...

I ask how they verify the directly to part and he said that coming from NJ with a NJ Drivers Lic they would take my word for it. I mentioned getting a Toll receipt and he said that was a good idea.

If anyone else from NJ has flown out of JFK or LGA recently I would be curious to here about your experience.

I am Traveling alone this trip... No wife, kids or colleagues so if the whole plan goes south so be it... I don't wan to be intimidated out of my right to keep and bear arms....

Don't do it . A lot of people are getting jammed up because of it. There was a whole article done about this not to long ago in either the post or news. If you want info pm me. Don't want details in public on how I know.

^^^^This, from a Port Authority cop. ^^^^

PM BLF before you do it.

See, this is the problem... with JFK, you are guilty until proven innocent.

The TSA does not care one way or the other, as long as gun is unloaded and checked. The issue is PANY cops and ticket counter people.

Keep in mind... as per NYC laws, you cannot transport a gun through NYC without a NYC permit. In clear violation of FOPA. So while in the end you will be right, at first, they will jam you up.

Unless I HAD TO, I would not travel out of JFK, especially when you can travel from EWR, PHL, or ACY with 0 issues.

PANY / NYC is engaging in steps #5 and #6 of the "steps to fascism"

#5 Harass citizens’ groups (gun owners)

#6 Engage in arbitrary detention and release (arrest and lock up people traveling with firearms under FOPA protection, even though they know they will have to release them)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/apr/24/usa.comment

Don't blame the cops..in NYC officers have to speak to an ADA. Assistant district attorney and tell them all the details of arrest. The ADA draws up the charges. If they don't want to prosecute they don't have to. They fill out an affidavit to charge that we just sign.

Don't blame the cops..in NYC officers have to speak to an ADA. Assistant district attorney and tell them all the details of arrest. The ADA draws up the charges. If they don't want to prosecute they don't have to. They fill out an affidavit to charge that we just sign.

I get it, they are doing their jobs. I'm not referring to the cops on the ground specifically, more like the overall system. I'm not sure why the cops on the ground are instructed to call the ADA whenever someone is lawfully traveling with a firearm. The ADA and whoever is responsible for that operating procedure are to blame. So I agree with you on that.

I am so glad I am out of the airports now. Where I am if you have a gun it's illegal..either state. Makes it easier and I don't have to worry about jamming some innocent person up because my bosses and the legal system want to err on the side of caution.

my bosses and the legal system want to err on the side of caution

This is the fundamental problem. Nobody got fired/in trouble for locking up/jamming up innocent folks traveling with firearms. So they will keep doing it until otherwise.

I know this is an old post but did not want to start a new one..

I just spent the morning researching for myself the risks of a NJ resident flying out of JFK airport. I spoke with the airline, the tsa and port authority Police. All told me it will not be an issue as long as I followed the rules for locked case, unloaded ect.

I went a step further and got in touch with the Port Authority Police desk sgt at JFK. The guy who would be responsible for arresting me if it came time to do so... In addition to regurdgitating the rules we had a candid conversation about past issues and the present status of Traveling with handguns thru JFK and explained the process. He said it is routine and would not be an issue.

He said most likely when I declare the firearm at the airline counter PA Police will be called over.. ( this is not something I have read about happening at other airports).They will verify I legally possess the handgun in NJ AND that I traveled DIRECTLY to the airport. He mentioned people coming to NY with a Handgun staying a few days and then attempting to fly out as the ones who have an issue...

I ask how they verify the directly to part and he said that coming from NJ with a NJ Drivers Lic they would take my word for it. I mentioned getting a Toll receipt and he said that was a good idea.

If anyone else from NJ has flown out of JFK or LGA recently I would be curious to here about your experience.

I am Traveling alone this trip... No wife, kids or colleagues so if the whole plan goes south so be it... I don't wan to be intimidated out of my right to keep and bear arms....

Whoever came up with this policy needs to go back to high school civics class... We aren't supposed to prove we didn't break the law, the government is supposed to prove we did.

Last I heard, you can't legally traverse NYC without a NYC carry permit. I met a guy at a firearm training class in PA and had to rent a range gun because according to his attorney, there was only travel exemptions in NYC for home to range/FFL/gunsmith unless you have a carry permit. He would have had to ship from his FFL to range FFL. I couldn't believe that even the federal travel law was his protection and he said, according to his attorney who did the research, NYC doesn't recognise the federal law.

JFK is in a NYC borough so you aren't even passing though to Nassau or Suffolk. I believe NYC is well within it's stupid laws to arrest you even if you cite your travel plans and can legally have a handgun at your destination. You may never get caught on the Belt Parkway but the second you declare at the counter, the agent has to tell TSA and somehow Port Authority police may get involved. Their SOP is to arrest first and let a judge or prosecutor figure it out.

The main problem is that NYC doesn't recognize the federal law so in effect police hands are tied. Since an airport is not an exempted place in the eyes of NYC law you are breaking the laws of handgun transport. It sucks but those are the laws right now. Again I am glad I don't work there

NYC has arrested numerous non residents that were flying with their handguns. As soon as you cross the bridge or tunnel into NYC you are breaking the law!

Correction : Breaking illegal local laws