Sign in to follow this  
diamondd817

Red Dot / Reflex Sight - In Question

I was just at the range sighting my Burris XTS-135 red dot scope on my AR-15. Is the red dot really only useable from one position? It seems if I use the same head position/cheek weld I use for my irons I can hit a 50 yds consistently. The red dot sits right on top of my front sight post. But if I move my head slightly in any direction the red dot moves as well and shots get off target fast. I thought the red dot was supposed to be used from all angles to give you some kind of advantage? At this point I dont see an advantage over my irons in the fact that the red dot is less consistent and I basically need to line up the dot with my front sight anyway. Am I missing something here? Are the only real advantage of dot scopes in low light situations?

you are likely experiencing the difference between a $100 optic and a $300+ optic..

most higher end optics are "parallax free".. parallax is the phenomenon you are noticing.. what that means is exactly as you described.. as you move your head where the dot is changes.. that does NOT happen on my Aimpoint optics unless I move my head to some insane angle....

the real point of these optics is military LEO use.. center of mass hit quickly.. keep in mind those individuals for the most part are using quality optics that greatly reduce parallax.. so if you want something good.. sell what you have.. and hold out for a used aimpoint maybe? but even with some levels of parallax it should consistently hit center mass quickly.. as in.. gun down.. sight on.. someone yells shoot.. and you pull up the gun and make center mass hits.. even with a little bit of parallax that SHOULD be faster than irons because you are aiming ONE dot.. not lining up irons.. reflex sights (red dots) are IMO more about speed than pin point accuracy.. but even with that said.. there is a fairly substantial difference between a $100 and $300 optic..

just my experience at least..

hope that helps..

The dot moving when you move your head is actually the red dot staying on target. Hold your rifle still, hopefully rested on something like a bipod or a rest. Aim it at a specific target. Move your head, and notice the dot isn't at the top of the post, but still on target.

The dot moving when you move your head is actually the red dot staying on target. Hold your rifle still, hopefully rested on something like a bipod or a rest. Aim it at a specific target. Move your head, and notice the dot isn't at the top of the post, but still on target.

while that may be the case.. he sounds like he is saying he is taking his time.. just inconsistent cheek weld is leading to shots that are "off" if that is the case.. then he can counter it by having a more consistent cheek weld.. or upgrade to something effected by parallax less..

OK. Just set up a target on the basement wall at about 30'. Your right that the dot stays on target as I move my head a few inches this way or that way (I didn't notice this yesterday). I moved the gun when the dot moved. But the dot does move off target if I move my head to more extreme angles which I assume is parallax. So you are both right. Thanks for the info.

BTW. The Burris XTS-135 is about $200-$250. I just couldnt bring myself to go $500-$600+ on a Aimpoint or Eotech. I spent all my optic money on a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x Z-1000 Reticle for my AR 10 .308. I will look at the higher end stuff next year.

OK. Just set up a target on the basement wall at about 30'. Your right that the dot stays on target as I move my head a few inches this way or that way (I didn't notice this yesterday). I moved the gun when the dot moved. But the dot does move off target if I move my head to more extreme angles which I assume is parallax. So you are both right. Thanks for the info.

BTW. The Burris XTS-135 is about $200-$250. I just couldnt bring myself to go $500-$600+ on a Aimpoint or Eotech. I spent all my optic money on a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x Z-1000 Reticle for my AR 10 .308. I will look at the higher end stuff next year.

lol you got it..

as stated.. there are varying degrees of parallax..

One other thing I wanted to mention. This is the 4th time I had this AR out, about 400rds now. It's a DPMS 5.56 and not sure if they are usually this accurate, but I can punch out a 3/8" bullseye on 2" diameter shoot-n-c sticky target at 50yds with the irons 0-1 apperature.

And thanks for the MI Flip up rear sight. Works great.

One other thing I wanted to mention. This is the 4th time I had this AR out, about 400rds now. It's a DPMS 5.56 and not sure if they are usually this accurate, but I can punch out a 3/8" bullseye on 2" diameter shoot-n-c sticky target at 50yds with the irons 0-1 apperature.

my DPMS in 308 is a great gun.. SOME complain about the 223 DPMS so maybe you just made out ok?

my DPMS in 308 is a great gun.. SOME complain about the 223 DPMS so maybe you just made out ok?

I bought the .308 DPMS 24" bull barrel too. I think they are just awesome. I spent so much time sighting the 5.56 yesterday, I didn't really get to sight the 308 in properly. I got tired and that 308 really has some kick. My shoulder is sore as ****.

Here is a pic of them together:

aau1au.jpg