usnmars

Possible Business Idea, Would You Be Interested?

Well I went shooting with a friend of mine who is an FFL on Friday and he brought out a Mosin to play with. The thing had the typical rough action and horrid trigger and wasn't shooting the greatest groups. I said when we were done I was going to his shop and work some of my magic on it. I slicked the action, did my 5 minute trigger job and did some of the stuff I know for accurizing a Mosin. This all took a matter of maybe 20 minutes. We went to shoot later that day and he swore it wasn't even his gun, I mysteriously replaced it with a slick accurate gun. :laugh: His groups shrunk by 50% using the same ammo and his action was smooth as silk and I got the trigger down to about 3lbs with a crisp break. He was so impressed that he threw out the idea that I should start writing little books or pamphlets that are rifle specific on everything on how to pick a good one, decosmoing, general maintenance and even go through some accurizing tweaks and a basic trigger job. He said if I write one up and print a couple he'd sell them with the Mosins in his store for an extra 10 bucks. If there was a little guide like this would you be willing to pay maybe $10 for one? I know it sounds goofy but I figured WTF do I have to lose. Everyone that shoots my Mosins asks "how the fugg did you do that?" So maybe print something that explains how to do it and make a little extra money in the process.

Actually a very good idea. Once you finish the write up you can convert it in PDF and sell a digital version on Ebay for like $5.00

This way you wouldn't even need to bother with printing and other logistics. I bought a manual for Mosin some time ago that was just a bad scan of the one Century sends with their rifles.

Given your level of expertise in this stuff this is definitely a winner. I would buy one!

I'd buy one too! Your outlay for a digital book is time only and the printed ones could be minimal with laser printing. I think it is a good idea and you should do it. Damn, if I was still teaching Graphics, I would have printed them for you on my offset press for nothing.

As far as I'm concerned Mosins on the evolutionary scale are next to clubs but, that being said....

Eric I have MS Publisher and if you just send me MS word text and pictures I could lay it out for you in a small book or pamphlet and turn it into a pdf for you.

I agree Eric,

It sounds like a great idea and I would buy it just to have the knowledge. I am not really into mosin"s that much. The $5 digital idea is even better. I do believe pics are a must and would need to show the process your going through. Some people visualize better then reading things.

after you write it...copyright, copyright, copyright. If not, next thing you know it'll be free to download somewhere.

Unfortunately it will be a free download somewhere because of scum. There are ways to protect it (Locklizard) but I have no idea of the cost to encrypt it then you deal with distributing license files.

well after a bunch of good responses I am going to go for it. Like I said before what do I have to lose, and it may be some extra gun money. It is going to take a while because there is soooo much I want to put into it without overdoing it but when its done I am going to send it to a couple of people to get a honest opinion. I figure choose some people that are knowledgeable in Mosins and choose someone that just got one and has no clue. That way I get a full spectrum review of what people think.

Eric, offer it here to the NJGF members as a download and get your Paypal account ready to except money for a PDF version. See what the cost fifference would be on the printed version and see if that's worth it, and the idea of some sort of safety feature to keep an electronic version from being bootlegged might be an option depending on cost.

Now if you need an example Cozmo covered Hex Mosin to take picture from start to finish, well then, we need to talk... ;)

1) Watch your liability. Anything dealing with creating a light trigger has the possibility for douchebaggery.

2) Cover your bases and copyright the hell out of it and then defend that copyright since you own it.

3) If it does well, create a corporation, a separate one for each book. This way, in the event of douchebaggery and lawsuits, you are still ok.

Dan, I got this response:

douchebaggery- no dictionary results

:icon_mrgreen:

First, It's a COMPOUND word. You should start with this:

douche bag

noun

1. a small syringe having detachable nozzles for fluid injections, used chiefly for vaginal lavage and for enemas.

2. Also called douche . Slang: Vulgar . a contemptible or despicable person.

I don't think it's a good idea. I think a better idea would be to get a gunsmith license. It's a very low overhead operation with very low expecatations. Because of all the douchebags out there. Do nice trigger jobs and deliver on time and people will love you. Then, figure out the next thing to do.

I'd pay for that. Perhaps offer it to be mailed out or something for folks who don't patronize his shop. I'm about to take my VZ24 out in a week or two to fire for the first time, I'd love to see stuff for my gun too (if it needs it.) Perhaps, if you know enough, you could start a series on this stuff.

An oldtimer gunsmith,Iowegen, on the Ruger forum actually did thison Ruger HG's and printed a series of nice simple booklets and sold(sells) them. I got the one on DA for my GP100. If you want to see how a well done finished format in black/white text, pics can be done let me know and i can find it and lend it to you. Starts with intro info, to field level maint and even higher level smithing skills. Was $15 + for the forum members.

I like the idea. I woul like the idea better if I hadn't spent hours scouring differet forums for information on accurizing mosins. I am interested in the trigger work info. I'm also a cheap SOB, I don't know if i'd pay 1/10 the price of the rifle for the book, but the $5 download is something I'd pay for.

An oldtimer gunsmith,Iowegen, on the Ruger forum actually did thison Ruger HG's and printed a series of nice simple booklets and sold(sells) them. I got the one on DA for my GP100. If you want to see how a well done finished format in black/white text, pics can be done let me know and i can find it and lend it to you. Starts with intro info, to field level maint and even higher level smithing skills. Was $15 + for the forum members.

Actually he doesn't any longer. I was on the ruger forum the other day and he's no longer printing and selling them.

Eric, Do it, I think I have a Glock disk coming to me from a Karma thread.

Being I will have pay that forward, I will put 50 bucks towards the first edition when it comes out, so if they are 5 bucks for a PDF version and 10 for a printed, I would be paying forward 9 PDF's or 4 Hard copies being I want one for myself.

So your up to 50 bucks in pre-sales already..