9milninja

Ruger SR22 vs Sig/GSG 1911-22 vs Colt 1911-22 -- WHICH ONE TO GET ??

All -

In the market for a .22 cal plinker / target / range gun. I've narrowed it down to three:

1. Ruger SR22

2. Sig / GSG 1911-22

3. Colt 1911-22

So far, I've heard some good reports about each. The Rugar is the newest (Jan 2012), and I really like the features and quality components. Ruger also probably has the best name when it comes to .22 rimfire !

I held the Colt and Sig yesterday at Shore Shot range .... both very nice. They both felt terrific. I wish I could find out who has the Ruger SR22 so that I could see how it feels.

I have no interest in going for one of the older Buckmarks or Ruger MKs either...they just seem very outdated to me and are very clunky looking. I'm sure they are deadly accurate, but I'm willing to give up a bit of accuracy for something not so old-fashioned looking.

I certainly like the $300-$375 price range I can get these for too !!

Please tell me your thoughts, and hopefully experiences, regarding each of the above three (3) pistols.

thanks in advance !

Dbl E GT

btw i would add the Smith Wesson M&P 22 to that list.

Oops .... just realized I posted under my son's username ..... oh well.

Thanks Maksim .... I did see the M&P 22 yesterday at the range and was able to hold it. I liked it too, and yes, you are correct, I should have added to the list above.

What are your thoughts on that one too?

I like the SIG 1911-22 as well (same as the GSG), but the The Browning 1911-22 might also be an option in that direction. For me, though, I prefer the steel Ruger Mark III (or really the better Mark II) any day w/ a 5.5" bull barrel. As you have said, It's been around, and probably will be for some time. It isn't modern, but it is a classic. It is heavy, though, and quite fun to clean. And, if that isn't the ticket, then the 22/45 which is a little lighter would be quite nice.

I would have liked it if Ruger had made basically an SR9 in 22LR, but that didn't happen with this new gun. And, I hope Ruger doesn't abandon the Marks for these polymer pieces, as the Marks are probably more costly to make. Another option would be the amazing CZ 75 Kadet.

However, I think you should consider the ancient 22LR revolver. If you consider a revolver, I would get a double action with a 4-6" barrel and the ability to swap out the sights, especially If you haven't experienced the joy of holding a nice revolver. It is easy to load, easier than a magazine, anyway, and it doesn't throw the spent cartridge cases all over creation for you to clean up. It can be quite accurate and its quite durable. For the value, there is the awesome S&W Model 617 and then there is the new Ruger SP101 8-shot. Put a Hogue grip on the Ruger and break in that gun and you have your plinker. I probably wouldn't get it, as there are other things I would rather have, but the new Ruger .22LR LCR might be fun, too. And, I haven't tried it, but the new S&W 22LR kit gun Model 317? might also be a very nice option.

If you really want a plinker and the SR-22 feels good in your hand, then get it for the newness factor. If you have a Glock or an M&P already, then consider the M&P 22, or consider an Advantage Arms conversion kit.

Held the Ruger SR22 today at a gun shop, and I must say, I was rather disappointed. As another person said earlier, it was very small and thin. I have semi-large hands, and this thing felt unfortunately like a toy. I wanted to like it, but just can't get past the dimunitive size. The gun's components looked like very high quality.

OK, strike the ruger off the list !

Now its the Sig/GSG 1911-22, Colt 1911-22, or the SW M&P 22, and I CAN'T DECIDE !!!! :-)

For those that own a Sig or GSC, any issues or problems?

Don't rule out the Colt-Umarex 1911 .22LR Rail or Gold Cup Trophy versions.

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=colt-1911

I own the Rail version, but wish I would have held out for the Gold Cup to be available. I'd prefer the fully adjustable rear sight of the Gold Cup.

OK, I'm going against my inital thought.... Now, I like the Ruger SR22 ! I know, "this guy can't make up his mind". Yes, you are correct, though, just like the Presidential primary season, the one you may like today, you might not like tomorrow.

Anyway, been reading a TON of GREAT things about the Ruger SR22, and so I believe THATS the one I will purchase. My one complaint was that I was amazed how small the grip is, although I was thinking I could always do grip tape if necessary. Hey, who knows, maybe it won't even be necessary.

I think it was also such a big difference in size compared to my BEAUTIFUL, WORK-OF-ART Beretta 92A1, that it surprised me. Then I thought more and came to the conclusion that its only a .22 and why not. Also, the quality of this gun is absolutely stunning, and surprising for a $300 gun !

Anyway, back on the Ruger SR22 .....for now at least :-)

DblEGT

I am still fond of purchasing a 1911 in 45acp, then getting a 22lr conversion kit. You get a better weighted and balanced frame with a better grip. Even if you rarely put the large lead through it, I feel you still come out ahead. Can any of the 9mm 1911's run the 22lr kits? Another option.

For the Ruger MK series, sure maybe not the best looks but my 7" mk1 never jams on any ammo with very minimal maintenance, and very accurate hand held easily at 25yards, you just cant find fault with them!

How does the grip on the SR22 compare to that of the Walther P22?

And where did you find an SR22 in stock? I haven't been able to find any yet.

Saw the SR22 at a gun shop in PA. They actually had it sold and the person was going to pick it up that evening, but they opened up and let me check it out. I don't have any experience with a Walther P22, but its supposed to be almost the exact same size. I know you would be MORE impressed with the Ruger's quality of materials and workmanship once you see it....its awesome !

I will be picking up my Colt 1911 22LR Gold Cup on Monday (1/24) as my purchase permit is finally available for pick up - nearly 7 weeks after I had submitted the request! I'll report on it later.

Appreciate the early feedback regarding the Ruger SR22 - I am thinking of getting one. Did anyone try it with the larger grip and the mag extension that comes with the pistol? I have a fairly large hand and like the idea that it comes with a bigger size grip. I was hoping tha the larger grip and mag extension would work for me......

As for which pistol to pick - First trim you list down to the one of two that feel the most comfortable in you hand, since holding it will be the thing you do most frquently. Next, consider the ease with which one can field strip and clean the pistol. That's probably the next most frquent thing you will be doing. If you can't decide based on grip comfort, then decide base on stripping & cleaning.

Everything I've read/watched about the SR22 seems to say that its one of the best 22 handguns out there. For the past month or so I've been shooting a Walther P22, since that is the only 22 handgun the range has to rent and 22 ammo is all I can afford, and for the most part is pretty good. If the SR22 is the same size and is comfortable when I finally get my hands on one I'll probably be getting that as my first gun, whenever CHPD gets my FID/P2P issued...

I think I would really prefer a full caliber with a 22 conversion, since then I could have something for home defense and range time, but that would cost 3x what the SR22 does.

Or you get a Sig 226-22 which is a full-framed pistol for about $450-500, comes as a .22, and can be upgraded later to a 9mm or .40 cal.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-classic-22.aspx

So it'll be less than double the cost, but might suit your specific needs. Good gun too !