tblant

Shooting Gangsta Style

I was poking around Youtube for some tactical handgun training and I noticed some schools/courses, which seemed legitimate, were showing how to shoot one handed with the handgun slanted at about 45 degrees (not quite horizantal like a gangsta). I realize it is Youtube, but they seemed like real schools.

Anyway, I was surprised. Admittingly, I know the least about firearms compared to anyone else on this board but that technique surprised me...I always made fun of the "grip". So, any true benfits to holding it on that angle? Just curious. thx

Having a gun canted at an angle is not "gangsta" style. that would be full 90 degrees.

Yes, when you shoot one handed, strong or weak hand only, having the gun canted helps with the recoil. Not as accurate, at least for me, but controls recoil.

the other school of thought is to bring it closer, and aligning your elbow straight up down, it will recall more, but you want it to come back quicker.

Point at something - is your hand vertical or at a slight angle? The idea behind slightly turning the hand when shooting one handed is that it's similar to how most point their hand. It's a pretty common technique taught by quite a few schools.

Whether or not it's the best way for you to shoot one handed is something you need to practice to figure out.

Thanks for the replies. I can't shoot well with two hands, no way am I attempting one hand yet. If you rob my house, the best thing to do is put an apple on your head and stand 5 yards in front of me. As long as you don't move you will be alright.

Seriously, I will try it out of curiosity. At my level I don't think it will make a difference. Thx

Having a gun canted at an angle is not "gangsta" style. that would be full 90 degrees.

Yes, when you shoot one handed, strong or weak hand only, having the gun canted helps with the recoil. Not as accurate, at least for me, but controls recoil.

the other school of thought is to bring it closer, and aligning your elbow straight up down, it will recall more, but you want it to come back quicker.

Point at something - is your hand vertical or at a slight angle? The idea behind slightly turning the hand when shooting one handed is that it's similar to how most point their hand. It's a pretty common technique taught by quite a few schools.

Whether or not it's the best way for you to shoot one handed is something you need to practice to figure out.

This is not a new technique. I learned to cant my gun when shooting weak handed from Jim Cirillo back in the 80s. Jim explained several reasons this usually works and things it has to do with the eyes and the muscles. I've taught this technique since I learned it and it does work for most people aiding accuracy and recoil control.

So was going to respond more, but then found videos. I can shoot faster with a slight cant, but shoot more accurately with a different hold, elbow bent, slightly closer to body.

skip to 3:00 mark. Here you can see I can get all the shots off, and all on paper, however accuracy goes down a bit.

Second video, slightly bent arm. Better accuracy.

Once I was talking to an LEO who told me that that homicide rate in places like Newark would SKYROCKET if the thugs actually fired their weapons with any sort of skill whatsoever. It's not uncommon for them to roll up on a crime scene with dozens of empty shell casings all over the place and maybe one round actually hit someone.

Once I was talking to an LEO who told me that that homicide rate in places like Newark would SKYROCKET if the thugs actually fired their weapons with any sort of skill whatsoever. It's not uncommon for them to roll up on a crime scene with dozens of empty shell casings all over the place and maybe one round actually hit someone.

This is the case in most firefights, including LEO and military.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I can't shoot well with two hands, no way am I attempting one hand yet. If you rob my house, the best thing to do is put an apple on your head and stand 5 yards in front of me. As long as you don't move you will be alright.

Seriously, I will try it out of curiosity. At my level I don't think it will make a difference. Thx

You will find out, at least it's that way for me strong hand I will keep it with a very slight cant, when using my weak hand I'll cant it a little more.

Another thing is in a defensive situation, you have no idea what shooting position you will be in, so practicing other shooting positions and holds is very good practice.

The science of martial arts tells us that the human arms work better when exerting force "inward" (toward the body's center-line) than outward or up/down. Large pectoral muscle group sees to that. It makes sense, therefore, that by slightly rotating your gun inward you're distributing some of the recoil toward the cebter-line, where you'd be more comfortable controlling it.

It's not canting the gun 90 degrees that helps, it's that grabbing your genitals while canting the gun does, in fact, help accuracy and recoil control.

This is a typical novice mistake!

It's not the grabbing of the genitals that helps, it's the simultaneous pelvic thrust that counteracts the recoil! :D