9thMarines

Henry Repeating Arms Co.

Just want to pass on my experiences with a great American Co., namely, Henry Repeating Arms Co., located in beautiful downtown Bayonne, New Jersey.

About a dozen years ago I bought a Henry model 003, pump 22 rifle. Several months later I saw a video with someone who had this neat orange,Henry riflebag. It wasn't listed in the Henry catalog at that time so I sent them an e-mail to find out where I could buy one. Several days later a package arrived at my door. Yup! It was the orange Henry riflebag along with a very nice letter from Mr. Imperato, the president of Henry, thanking me for buying their rifle

. Wow!!

Fast foward to two weeks ago. Was shooting up at RTSP when a cartridge got really jammed in the bottom of the receiver. pulled the bullet and powder but the case was firmly wedged. . E-mailed Henry explaining the problem and requesting assistance. I received a response stating that they would like to take a look at the rifle and sent me a prepaid UPS lable. That was a little over a week ago. Today, the UPS driver droppedoff a brand new H003T Henry pump along with a note stating that they regretted that I had a problem and thanking me for buying their product!!!!

Not only do they make an exceptional product, which they proudly state that every part

is American made, but their customer service is truly exceptional.

So, if anyone is considering purchasing a good lever gun, I would recommend that you

check them out. Buy American...

• Like 1

Wow that nice to hear. I was excited when they moved to my town. I still want to check the place out if they ever open to the public. A Henry lever action 44mag lever action is on my short list. Not all things fall under " if its from Bayonne, leave it alone"

Wow that nice to hear. I was excited when they moved to my town. I still want to check the place out if they ever open to the public. A Henry lever action 44mag lever action is on my short list. Not all things fall under " if its from Bayonne, leave it alone"

"If she's from Bayonne, leave it alone"

.22, .38/357, and .44 are not popular calibers? Whats popular to you, .68 paintballs? I will admit, 9mm might be tempting, but I would much rather have a .357 with the ability to shoot cheap ammo too.

From what I understand, doing a tube magazine in 9mm is scary to most companies because the ogive or nose of the bullet is hard/pointed. There is a very real possibility of the primer of a round in front contacting the rearward nose and discharging, which would be a problem. Hence, no 9mm tubular fed lever action rifles.

And yes, I want one in .38spcl/.357mag. Badly.

C

From what I understand, doing a tube magazine in 9mm is scary to most companies because the ogive or nose of the bullet is hard/pointed. There is a very real possibility of the primer of a round in front contacting the rearward nose and discharging, which would be a problem. Hence, no 9mm tubular fed lever action rifles.

And yes, I want one in .38spcl/.357mag. Badly.

C

Might be a silly question, but what about rifles like my Marlin 336 in 30/30, it's a tube with centerfire ammo???

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think tubular magazines and rimless cartridges mix very well. Also, you want a bullet profile where the meplat is wider than the primer of the bullet in front of it. The only exception to this are the honady leverrevolution ammo because the polymer tip is squishy and deforms to a shape wider than the primer or provides sufficient buffer to impact.

I bought a Henry .22 Lever for my son several Christmas's ago. Great performer! Then I bought a .44 Mag Big Boy for me. Nice rifle! Shoots mags & specials too! Jacketed SP or jacketed HP works well in all of the .357 & .44 lever guns, as well as the traditional .45 LC which is the original chambering from way back in the mid-1800's.

I also have a Marlin 336-C in .30-30, and it eats all of the 150 & 170 gr. SP ammo I feed her--for the last three decades! So Harry--no problems--no worries!

They seem very rigid at retaining their traditions. i.e. not wanting to produce in stainless, not really wanting to make models in popular calibers, & the loading is just crazy in today's standards. It's really like a collector's item or a range toy. They do look beautiful.

Anthony & his company make a lot of nice "Range Toys"!

Henry isn't going to change to Wiz-Bang calibers like .40 Short & Weak. Their target market (myself included) is strongly interested in maintaining the genre and the history of these (thanks for the compliment) beautiful battle-proven performers, and that includes how they load and the tubular magazines that they employ. In short, today's standards don't even apply! And that's just fine for Henry and its' loyal customer base. Henry isn't interested in knocking-off copies of Beretta Storms and Beretta isn't interested in Henry's niche market, so it's a win-win!

More deer have been harvested with lever-action rifles than any other firearm in the lower 48. And I'm proud to say that includes pistol caliber carbines utilizing tubular feeding magazines since approx. 1870, as well as .30-30's from makers such as Marlin & Winchester.

When you shoulder a saddle-gun and the sights fall right into proper alignment and everything just "feels" right, the rifle becomes an extension of your hands & eyes. In all types of weather, a man & his rifle........

Try one sometime. You might just put one on your "short list"! If you want a test-ride, just send me an email!

Dave

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think tubular magazines and rimless cartridges mix very well. Also, you want a bullet profile where the meplat is wider than the primer of the bullet in front of it. The only exception to this are the honady leverrevolution ammo because the polymer tip is squishy and deforms to a shape wider than the primer or provides sufficient buffer to impact.

The .25 Remington and .35 Remington are both rimless cartridges that were chambered in rifles with tubular magazines. Loaded with round nose or flat-nose bullets, they were safe.

Has anyone compared the fit/finish and handling of a Henry and Marlin side by side? I have shot a Marlin 1894 and found in uncomfortable to shoot. Did not fit me well, the lever banged my finger. This was a .44 Magnum. I liked the looks of the gun, but I wouldn't buy one because of the way it fit me. I'd like to see/shoot a Henry to see/feel the difference.

Yes, I have a Beretta CX4 and it reminds me why I never bought a Glock, I don't like all the plastic! It does shoot great though.

Has anyone compared the fit/finish and handling of a Henry and Marlin side by side? I have shot a Marlin 1894 and found in uncomfortable to shoot. Did not fit me well, the lever banged my finger. This was a .44 Magnum. I liked the looks of the gun, but I wouldn't buy one because of the way it fit me. I'd like to see/shoot a Henry to see/feel the difference.

Yes, I have a Beretta CX4 and it reminds me why I never bought a Glock, I don't like all the plastic! It does shoot great though.

If you want to check out a Marlin 336 in 30-30, let me know, let me know when to bring it, just bring a box of ammo and shoot it if you want. I only say bring ammo, I just keep a box or 2 and that's it.. If I want to shoot something like that I can shoot the Mosin for next to nothing.

I picked up a Henry trapper style .22 (H001L) to practice with and save ammo cost before I went back to my larger caliber Marlins.

The action and the fit and finish are on a par with the older Marlins I have. Its swing weight is a lot lighter and forend grip is smaller than the larger Marlin but it if fine for my purpose.

The .44 Magnum can be a handful in a lever action. Was it a straight stock or a pistol grip stock? If you like to try one sometime with a large loop lever that could solve the banged finger problem let me know. (depends on which finger I guess)

Harry, I'll get a box of 30-30 just for the heck of it. I have two Mosins too, but always willing to try something different.

Blueskybob, my buds Marlin is a straight stock. I didn't know they made a pistol grip stock. I bought a bunch of .44 Specials to try in his gun. We'll take the Marlin and my 629 out for some fun again soon. The 629 hits my palm pretty hard also. Not a pleasant gun to shoot with .44 Magnums, but .44 Specials were. Gotta see if it's something I will get used to or not.