NJdiverTony

M193 55gr vs XM855 62gr?

Hey guys, which is best to use in an M4 carbine with a 16" barrel that has a 1:9 twist? I'm currently using XM855, but been reading a bunch of stuff that indicates that the 55gr M193 round would be better and more accurate to use? Any thoughts?

I know that it stabilizes it just fine, but wondering if the 55gr would be a better round to use over the 62gr?

The 55 gr projectile is more accurate due to how it is manufactured compared to the 62 gr penetrator rounds. The 62gr round was put into action for the ar platform in shorter barrels, but primarily to improve wound ballistics with a lower muzzle velocity and improved barrier penetration.

Hey guys, which is best to use in an M4 carbine with a 16" barrel that has a 1:9 twist? I'm currently using XM855, but been reading a bunch of stuff that indicates that the 55gr M193 round would be better and more accurate to use? Any thoughts?

Unless you're shooting at armored Soviet troopers crossing the Fulda Gap, the M193 is the better round. Higher velocity, better wounding effects.

I think the answer is either "they both suck" or "use whats cheapest". M193 has been effectively phased out, and M855 is not far behind it, with new ammo types coming online. If you are bound to Geneva conventions the new stuff you can't find like the M855A1 is the cool stuff or the heavy OTM mk262 type ammo which you can buy but costs a pile. As someone not bound by the Geneva conventions the new expanding bonded ammo stuff is probably the "best".

Of course all these options are quite expensive so purchase whatever for practice ammo.

Check this out: http://ammo.ar15.com.../index.htm#.223

I think the answer is either "they both suck" or "use whats cheapest". M193 has been effectively phased out, and M855 is not far behind it, with new ammo types coming online. If you are bound to Geneva conventions the new stuff you can't find like the M855A1 is the cool stuff or the heavy OTM mk262 type ammo which you can buy but costs a pile. As someone not bound by the Geneva conventions the new expanding bonded ammo stuff is probably the "best".

Of course all these options are quite expensive so purchase whatever for practice ammo.

Check this out: http://ammo.ar15.com.../index.htm#.223

M193 was never really used officially, hence the XM193 designation. But it was the first ammunition type developed for the AR-15 platform, and produced the nasty wounding effects that made the new 5.56mm famous. Out of a 16" barrel, it has a wider range of effective ballistics and better wounding than an M855. So the shorter the barrel, the more useful the faster bullet is.

I'm pretty sure the M193 was issued in the older slower twist barrels (as in the A1 type, 1/12?) and was only phased out around the '80s.

True, but the M193 was phased out along with the M16A1...

Here is a good link on the subject: http://ammo.ar15.com/

Thanks for all the information, guys... much appreciated. Once I used up the XM855 ammo I have, I'll go with XM193 ball ammo...

Makes sense. It's a lot cheaper. I keep like 800 so rounds of XM855 around, but usually shoot XM193...

It all depends on what you would like to do. Punching holes in paper? XM193. SHTF Combat? I'd take XM855 but any ammo should do :)

THIS^^^^^^^^^

I have xm855 stocked, will not shoot it, 2 cans of 480 in sealed ammo cans. I have plenty of xm193 that i blast away with. No point in using the 855 on paper.... and 193 can be found pretty cheap... I keep the brass and will probably end up using hornady vmax bullets to reload.

Where does it say that 855 and 193 is no longer used?

M855 is currently used, but will be replaced by M855A1. M193 was used briefly in Vietnam and a few years after, but was phased out. The DoD only buys 855/855A1.

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/hist_curammo.html

It all depends on what you would like to do. Punching holes in paper? XM193. SHTF Combat? I'd take XM855 but any ammo should do :)

Disagree. What good is a 62gr armor piercing round with inferior ballistics to a 55gr FMJ ball? If anything, the loss of velocity propelling the 62gr is the reason it sucks at wounding unarmored enemy soldiers beyond a certain range. It just punches through them. The higher velocity 55gr retains it's speed long enough to retain it's catastrophic wounding effects.

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_fragrange.html

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_m855vm193.html

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_m193orm855.html

Like I said: if you're planning on gunning down folks wearing body armor, then 855 is worth the extra cents per round. If your looking an unarmored folks, the 193 is much better.

M855 is currently used, but will be replaced by M855A1. M193 was used briefly in Vietnam and a few years after, but was phased out. The DoD only buys 855/855A1.

http://ammo.ar15.com...st_curammo.html

But it say's both rounds are still used which is what caught my attention, i do get the standard issued argument which is what your referring to. 855 can punch through 1/4in of steel ;) thats why i have some stock piled, and i want to load the v-max bullets for ballistics. There just too damn expensive unless you reload them.

But it say's both rounds are still used which is what caught my attention, i do get the standard issued argument which is what your referring to. 855 can punch through 1/4in of steel ;) thats why i have some stock piled, and i want to load the v-max bullets for ballistics. There just too damn expensive unless you reload them.

If by 'still used' you mean some remaining USAF M16A1s and a few cans here or there, then yeah. But all in all, it's 855/855A1 all the way.

As for 1/4 inch of steel, how often do you need to do that when shooting at someone? Like I said, if your plan is to take on the Soviet Army crossing the Fulda, then you're fine. Most of us don't have expectations of fighting heavily body-armored foes.

The nice thing about 193 is that it's cheap and better terminal ballistics. Especially if shooting out of a 14.5" bbl. Out of that, the effective range is 95m-100m... using 855, that drops to 45m-50m...

If by 'still used' you mean some remaining USAF M16A1s and a few cans here or there, then yeah. But all in all, it's 855/855A1 all the way.

As for 1/4 inch of steel, how often do you need to do that when shooting at someone? Like I said, if your plan is to take on the Soviet Army crossing the Fulda, then you're fine. Most of us don't have expectations of fighting heavily body-armored foes.

The nice thing about 193 is that it's cheap and better terminal ballistics. Especially if shooting out of a 14.5" bbl. Out of that, the effective range is 95m-100m... using 855, that drops to 45m-50m...

It would be nice to know i can hit a "hiding" target, some one in a vehicle or something of that nature with out worrying about penetration. i dont expect many people to be wearing body armor.

IMO for plinking, either one. Personally I get what I feel is equivalent performance out of 55 or 62 gr Silver/Golden Bear Russian stuff.

For HD or SHTF, we have far better options than milspec ammo for the 5.56/.223 platform such as Hornady vmax 55gr as one example. For precision... Sierra 69gr HPBT as an example. Both are affordable especially if you are reloading your own.