fliks

Russian Nagant Revolver

Hey Guys!

I've been curious about the Russian Nagant Revolver lately, the M1895 Nagant, in 7.62x38R. Purely for the historical/nostalgic factor. The ammo would cost an arm and a leg and it takes long to reload, but I wonder how it would feel in the hand. Anyone have one? What are your thoughts on it?

If you want it for the historical value, buy one, they are reasonably well made and cheap to buy (and they're only going to go up in value when they dry up). These guns are pea shooters, low recoil and easy to control, with reasonable accuracy at close distance, not a bad gun to start someone on handgun shooting. The ammo can be had for a $20 - $25 a box of 50, not cheap, but not much more than a box of .45 ACP, and being a revolver, you aren't going to blow through ammo like in a semiauto.

Feliks,

The Nagant is a must have for every Russian, for all of the historic/nostalgic value. I have one (took me a while to locate a pre-revolution 1916 one).

It will never become a gun you would shoot often, but it is one of the must have's you just have to have :)

So the price of ammo is pretty much irrelevant here - $25 for 50 rounds is about as much as you would spend a year anyway :)

Bottom line - they've already risen in price somewhat, so get one now, I'm sure you won't regret it tovarish!

And as far as shooting goes - it has a horrible trigger pull, especially in DA. Pretty uncomfortable grip for anyone with a large hand, and is a PITA to reload. (those old movies where they shot a tons of bad guys with Nagant were all lies - it is mechanically impossible to reload the damn thing in any reasonable amont of time)

@Aleshka - Well, I just re-watched "Неуловимые Мстители" recently and it just brought back memories and made the gun seem cool to have .... and yah, it just seemed like it never ran out of bullets, especially that train chase scene. My pops, uncles and grand uncles would think it's super cool, if they ever got to see it... I have small hands, so I guess the grips would be better for me. Would I be able to check it out someday? Maybe meet up somewhere? I'm in no rush, I have 3 permits coming (any day now, grrrrr) and the first 2 are already spoken for...

So you think they'll be coming up in price, eh? I guess most .357s or 9s that I'd consider aren't as "volatile" in price, so maybe grab a good deal while they are still to be had... and I'd want a Tula one, not Izhevsk .... on that note, a "Тульский Токерев" like in "Брат 2" would be sweeter, but that's another thread ....

@RedBowTies88 - I've read about those replacement cylinders that make it shoot .32, but I thought they were nearly impossible to find and required some gunsmithing to install. It would also reduce that historical/nostalgic value, by taking out the funky ammunition that the gun shoots, which is different from.... basically all other kinds of ammunition...

hahaha, I gotta Torrent that one. It's funny how we never paid attention to any of that when we were younger, or before we got into firearms ourselves... I remember watching these in "Pioneer Camp"...

Hey Guys!

I've been curious about the Russian Nagant Revolver lately, the M1895 Nagant, in 7.62x38R. Purely for the historical/nostalgic factor. The ammo would cost an arm and a leg and it takes long to reload, but I wonder how it would feel in the hand. Anyone have one? What are your thoughts on it?

If you want revolver get S&W,if you want crappy made pies of nostalgia......................

Any way,what posesed you to watch "Приключения Неуловимых Мстителей"?

There are many more better soviet movies,then this beliberda."Beg" or "Dni Turbinyx"

for example.

If you want revolver get S&W,if you want crappy made pies of nostalgia......................

Any way,what posesed you to watch "Приключения Неуловимых Мстителей"?

There are many more better soviet movies,then this beliberda."Beg" or "Dni Turbinyx"

for example.

XAXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXA!!! Hilarious! So we have one opinion in favor of S&W and against "crappy piece of nostalgia".... I just saw "Приключения Неуловимых Мстителей" on this site of Russian Torrents where I download cartoons for the kids sometimes. Haven't seen it in over 20 years and wondered how it would look like to me now, in another country, all grown up and with some more firearms knowledge. What are those movies you'd mentioned? I haven't heard of them and can't really tell the names, would you mind retyping them in our native language?

Don't need the replacement cylinder to shoot .32 longs. Just load 'er up and go. 7.62x38r has only been made lately by PPU or Fiocchi, and those are light loads, from what I have been told.

I thought the pressure of .32 longs is higher or something like that? You know anyone that did that? I read somewhere that it's not recommended, but you know.... not everything on the interwebs can be trusted...

XAXAXAXAXAXAXAXAXA!!! Hilarious! So we have one opinion in favor of S&W and against "crappy piece of nostalgia".... I just saw "Приключения Неуловимых Мстителей" on this site of Russian Torrents where I download cartoons for the kids sometimes. Haven't seen it in over 20 years and wondered how it would look like to me now, in another country, all grown up and with some more firearms knowledge. What are those movies you'd mentioned? I haven't heard of them and can't really tell the names, would you mind retyping them in our native language.

Бег: http://www.russkieknigi.com/details-en.asp?ItemID=201113

Дни Турбиных: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsDlmXJ4N74&feature=related

@Aleshka - Well, I just re-watched "Неуловимые Мстители" recently and it just brought back memories and made the gun seem cool to have .... and yah, it just seemed like it never ran out of bullets, especially that train chase scene. My pops, uncles and grand uncles would think it's super cool, if they ever got to see it... I have small hands, so I guess the grips would be better for me. Would I be able to check it out someday? Maybe meet up somewhere? I'm in no rush, I have 3 permits coming (any day now, grrrrr) and the first 2 are already spoken for...

So you think they'll be coming up in price, eh? I guess most .357s or 9s that I'd consider aren't as "volatile" in price, so maybe grab a good deal while they are still to be had... and I'd want a Tula one, not Izhevsk .... on that note, a "Тульский Токерев" like in "Брат 2" would be sweeter, but that's another thread ....

@RedBowTies88 - I've read about those replacement cylinders that make it shoot .32, but I thought they were nearly impossible to find and required some gunsmithing to install. It would also reduce that historical/nostalgic value, by taking out the funky ammunition that the gun shoots, which is different from.... basically all other kinds of ammunition...

The replacement cylinders are for .32acp and thats just silly. However they will fire .32sw and .32h&r just fine from the factory clinder. however there will be no gas seal so expect them to run dirtier.

I like how this turned into the "Russian movies thread" - I'll try to find those. I think I've seen "Джек Восьмеркин, Американец" , while we're at it, any recommendations for WWII movies? I just watched the first 2 episodes of "Семнадцать Мгновений Весны" ... I'm almost tempted to just switch the whole thread to Russian. :russian:

I like how this turned into the "Russian movies thread" - I'll try to find those. I think I've seen "Джек Восьмеркин, Американец" , while we're at it, any recommendations for WWII movies? I just watched the first 2 episodes of "Семнадцать Мгновений Весны" ... I'm almost tempted to just switch the whole thread to Russian. :russian:

А зори здесь тихие.

Аты баты,шли солдаты.

В бой идут одни старики.

Они сражались за родину.

Щит и меч.

These probably best WWII movies I remember.