Rob0115

Loading .45 ACP with xtreme plated bullets

I have three sources and they are very conflicting. This is for w231 powder.

The Lee manual says 230 TMJ start 4.8 and never exceed 5.1 with a Min OAL of 1.190.

Lyman for the 230 gr TMJ is start 5.2 and never exceed 5.8 with a Oal of 1.275

The Hornady book say 230 gr FMJ start at 5.0 and don't exceed 5.7 with an OAL 1.230

These are RN bullets that are plated and should be loaded at the low end of FMJ. extreme bullets.

thanks,

Rob

Rob, what are you loading for, gun games or just paper and plinking. I'm new but I'd start at the low end and what OAL has worked best in the past for your gun and chrono and see how the rounds you load do and feel and go from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally, i would start with lead loads first and work up from there, and probably end up in the low end of FMJ load data or in between the 2. That seems to be the general rule for plated bullets, xtreme bullets may be an exception tho.. And Pete is right, the OAL lengths are different, the longer the more powder u can use.

What is winchesters load data?

I'll have to get the Speer manual.

I've been using lead 205 gr but couldn't find anymore for a good price.

I knew OAL and charge were related but wasn't sure that the changes in OAL v charge made these consistent.

I'm going try the 5.5 gr with the 1.275 OAL. I made a dummy and it chambers and ejects very nicely from my Sig.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Speer manual #9? Bahahahaha.

I've got a Speer manual that was bought on clearance in like 2003. It is #13. Where the hell would you get 9?

Xtreme plated are hard. Load to jacketed hollow point data. The little extra squishiness of the plates vs the longer length of hp bullets should even out.

Speer has three 230gr listings for 231

Lead 5.1-5.6 at 1.270

Jacketed 5.6-6.2 at 1.26

Gold dot 5.0-5.6 at 1.2

I'd try 5.5gr at 1.23 ish for major.

I load X-treme 230gr round nose bullets with 5.1gr or 5.6gr of W231 loaded at 1.260oal. While I have yet to chrono them, 5.6gr feels very similar in recoil to factory ammo(loading factory and my reloads into a mag, there is no discernible difference). The 5.1gr loads are soft. I would start there and work your way up with a chrono if possible.

Considering I was shooting--they were pretty good! :) I was pretty darn happy with it. It cycled the gun nicely, low recoil, and they were nice and accurate.