NJDrew1

14-year-old Phoenix boy shoots, nearly kills armed intruder

I try to show my little cousins how to handle a firearm, but the mother and grandmother doesn't want them to learn. They don't Want him to even come to the range with me. All they say is he is too young. I just hate how my parents and my aunts are being closed minded about things like this, but at the same time I still love them for being typical parents protecting thier child.

I applaud all parents that teach young kids about gun safety and how to handle a firearm. Specially parents that tell the kids not to open the door if you don't know who it is.

I try to show my little cousins how to handle a firearm, but the mother and grandmother doesn't want them to learn. They don't Want him to even come to the range with me. All they say is he is too young. I just hate how my parents and my aunts are being closed minded about things like this, but at the same time I still love them for being typical parents protecting thier child.

I applaud all parents that teach young kids about gun safety and how to handle a firearm. Specially parents that tell the kids not to open the door if you don't know who it is.

J/C how young is your cousin?

Personally, I think they are doing a disservice to the kids by not teaching them what to do when they see a firearm when not in the presence of a responsible adult, as well as , if old enough, proper safe gun handling.

One of the things that got me interested in firearms after years of being an anti was having children and meeting law abiding gun owners with children. I envision a time when one of my kids might be in a home where firearms are NOT as well secured as in my house. If that happens, I will make DAMN sure that they know what to do.

Don't touch, Run away, Tell an adult. If you ask my 4 year old twins what are the three rules when you see a gun and daddy or another adult isn't around...they'll repeat it back at you.

When they can recite back the three rules of gun safety ad nauseum...I will teach them to shoot.

That said, your little cousins are not your kids. It isn't your responsibility to tell your aunt or grandmother how the kids should be raised. Teach by example. Be an adult and be responsible. If they are interested, they will catch on.

My son who is 13 and my twin girls almost 12 were read this by me today. I explained the importance of never opening the doors for strangers, even if they are wearing a uniform and how the situation would be entirely different if this played out in NJ. As mentioned, I would be in jail, my son in JV and my kids whisked away to be re-programed by the foster system.

However, I find myself wrestling with keeping a 10/22 more accessible which all three are quite accomplished with. My son, can work an AR pretty damn good as well. Maybe not this year, but before they turn 18 for sure.

The oldest one is like my shadow, he goes almost everywhere I go. He looks up to me and he is 13 yrs old. I started him with airsoft, I even took him to an airsoft game. I flinged his right hand so many times now, because he had his finger on the trigger when i handed him the airsoft guns.

Kids are my house alot specially in the summer, their summer vacation. So I have my room locked and I have 2 gun locks on each firearm. One thru the magwell and one on the case, yes I have to do this because I myself am afraid if anything happens to these kids. And no I don't have any kids of my own, because my wife and I have enough kids around at all times.

Thats how its done in America, Proper parenting, proper gun control with young children in the house. Outstanding results. jmho.

+ 1 ZILLION!

Couldn't have phrased it any better than you just did!

I know many may disagree with me here but I do not think any firearms should be accessible to children in the house even if they know how to use them safely.

Depends on the kid. I have no problem with my 13 year old son keeping his Marlin in his bedroom. He handles his rifle and my pistols at will. With that said, I've observed his behavior and he only handles the weapons when he intends to bring 'em outside to the range or shoot a groundhog. He knows they are not toys, and he goes out of his way to hide his rifle in my room before his friends come over (most of them own .22LR semi's as well). I never told him to do this, he just does it.

My 18 year old son doesn't really like guns, but he knows how to properly handle everything I have.

That's how gun safety works.

Kids and guns

While reading this thread, I recall reading (on the internet) stories of those who lived in the 1940's and early 1960's (before 1968 GCA) ... kids used to take their guns to school in order to shoot after school was over. Some of the threads said the kids (ages 12 - 16) used to take their rifles and shoot rats and other wildlife by the city dump, others used to shoot targets in empty lots. This type of behavior was considered normal and a way for the kids to keep out of trouble.

From the accounts that I have read over the years, life in the 1940's until the 1960's ... it was typical and a rite of passage of sorts for a kid to have a rifle and know how to use it, safely at a early age. Some here might recall the rod and gun clubs in school. One thread I read was about someone who used to take their rifle to the shooting range, he would take the rifle on a city bus in (New York City) and go to the range, I believe the thread said he was 16 at the time.

I am really glad this kid was able to defend his and his sibling's lives. I won't assume I know these particular kids and throw judgement from a news article reader's POV..but in general I would be uneasy with your average 8 , 10 , and 12 year old having access to handguns ( the ages of the siblings , as listed)

HOWEVER , we all know how spotty news reporting could be ..it is possible the guns were in a safe and this 14 year old was trained and trusted , and had access to the safe code . He was trusted as babysitter so in my mind a mature 14 year old that demonstrated maturity and skill could safely have access to..a safe.

Just being optimistic and giving benefit of doubt. Good job by this young man in doing the right thing and protecting his family. The very fact that a WOMAN was ringing the bell and trying to gain access initially sends chills up my spine because it tells me the children were targeted. Children are often taught that when in danger , trust a woman. Possible the perps knew this , specifically picked that house at 4:30 in the afternoon ( after school , yet before parents come home) because the wanted to do something with or to those kids. So thank God this kid had the courage to shoot.

I am really glad this kid was able to defend his and his sibling's lives. I won't assume I know these particular kids and throw judgement from a news article reader's POV..but in general I would be uneasy with your average 8 , 10 , and 12 year old having access to handguns ( the ages of the siblings , as listed)

HOWEVER , we all know how spotty news reporting could be ..it is possible the guns were in a safe and this 14 year old was trained and trusted , and had access to the safe code . He was trusted as babysitter so in my mind a mature 14 year old that demonstrated maturity and skill could safely have access to..a safe.

Just being optimistic and giving benefit of doubt. Good job by this young man in doing the right thing and protecting his family. The very fact that a WOMAN was ringing the bell and trying to gain access initially sends chills up my spine because it tells me the children were targeted. Children are often taught that when in danger , trust a woman. Possible the perps knew this , specifically picked that house at 4:30 in the afternoon ( after school , yet before parents come home) because the wanted to do something with or to those kids. So thank God this kid had the courage to shoot.

THIS!

All excellent thoughts and insight from a really good 'Mama Bear" that can hit what she aims at!

Thanks Dave :) I'm waiting for 2 weeks now for my prints of Molly shooting to come in from Adorama . I hope they get here by Friday..show and tell this Friday is hobbies. :)

Cool! Let me know if you need a name to call as I know some people there that are friends of mine.

Thanks Dave :) I'm waiting for 2 weeks now for my prints of Molly shooting to come in from Adorama . I hope they get here by Friday..show and tell this Friday is hobbies. :)

Do you have any expectation of blind panic from the teachers at the sight of Molly holding a gun? I'm reluctant to advertise that I own guns. I shudder to think how I will be judged by showing off my kids shooting.

Obviously, I think this is wrong. But I'm cautious.

If that had happened here in the PRNJ instead of AZ, the 14 y.o. and the dad would be locked up and the 3 little ones would have been whisked off to foster care by DYFS

I'm gonna disagree here. This is exactly what needs to happen in New Jersey (God forbid, but I'm right) for people to realize that firearms in the home are safe and children should be taught to use them. Of course not 7 year old's but a teenager at least.

I'm gonna disagree here. This is exactly what needs to happen in New Jersey (God forbid, but I'm right) for people to realize that firearms in the home are safe and children should be taught to use them. Of course not 7 year old's but a teenager at least.

+1 Zillion for Ray!

I agree that SOMETHING BAD has to "go down" in order for the media to jump on the bandwagon and get behind some common-sense approach to this entire mess! A RIGHTEOUS shoot by a teenager defending his or her younger siblings would make a good test case. I'd LOVE to see the mailroom of a County Prosecutor trying to hang the Parents out-to-dry after their teenager lites-up a Perp in a home invasion scenario with lots of irrefutable physical evidence.

Every time I had to even glance at the stupid paper (that you're forced to sign even if you don't have kids) that tells me I HAVE TO LOCK UP my guns so my kids can't protect themselves, it turns my stomach! I personally feel that NO ONE has the right to tell me how best to help my family defend itself, since I AM the Parent, NOT the State! I needn't tell you where my Son's Henry .22 Lever was stored!

It's a personal decision, and one I would gladly make again, because it is just another example of stupid, feel-good legislation enacted by lawyers who need the excuse of doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to draw their ridiculous salaries!

Nothing will ever change NJ. It will become increasingly marginalized and stigmatized as the rest of the Nation moves forward.

And, he was right, Dad would have gone to jail and the kids would have been seized by The State. If that's for better or for worse, I guess I don't think it matters.

Do you have any expectation of blind panic from the teachers at the sight of Molly holding a gun? I'm reluctant to advertise that I own guns. I shudder to think how I will be judged by showing off my kids shooting.

Obviously, I think this is wrong. But I'm cautious.

When we first became gun owners and started training , yes I was very nervous about any of my child's friends or other parents finding out we owned guns. Then I started to get to know people in the community who also owned guns , they were responsible people , family people , good people. I slowly became less secretive about it. Then I decided Molly needed to learn gun safety . As careful as we are , we are human and you just can't take error out of the equation when you are human , also I learned ( by not being so secretive) that plenty of other parents around here have guns in the house. So I taught her gun safety because not only do I have to trust us to never make an oversight..but I have to trust OTHERS not to make an oversight at their home. Gun ownership in NJ seems to be grossly underestimated because of the secrecy.

The response I have had from people since I " came out of the safe" has been either positive or neutral , with no negativity so far.. surprisingly. I put up pics on FB of my husband training and of me at IDPA and everyone had positive things to say about it , and some were curious and asked how they can get into it too. So I am a bit more realistic about it and figure I don't flaunt it , but I don't hide it either.

It has admittedly been a process from " no , do not tell ANYONE" to " hey if they don't like we don;t have to talk about it but I'm not hiding it" ..I think your comfort level and confidence goes up with exposure to other like minded individuals..some are like minded and you just don't know it until someone breaks the ice :)

Agree Ray, at least all of on this forum should promote proper use and handling of firearms by all of our children and advocate others to do the same. After all they are the next generation that will take our place.