Pistol Caliber  

57 members have voted

1. 1. if you could only take one caliber pistol with you, what would you take?

• .380 ACP
    • 9 mm
    • .357 sig
    • .40 S&W
    • 10 mm
    • .45 ACP
    • And lets not forget the .22

Here is a question, if you were only able to take one pistol with you in a bug out situation. What caliber would you bring. 9mm, .357, .40sw, .45acp. What do you think will be the most available to resupply if you should run out of ammunition.

I was talking with a guy at the Range last night. He was telling me, how a .40 & .45 are only really american rounds, where as 9mm being a NATO round, is worldwide. Granted, not that I think about hoping on a steamship. Just curious what others may think.

I own, a .45, .40, and .357, but do not own a 9mm yet.

ammo-pistol-calibers.jpg

I can certainly agree with Redbow about the blocks of 22 able to fit and carry. But at the same time, I think I would like to have a little more stopping power in the event that you needed it.

One of the things I am considering is, One of the newer Sigs, or other brand, where you could get the conversion kit. So you could actually take both, without adding to much weight. 22's and either the 9 or 45 barrel. I am not a big fan of Glock, but Cguiro's comment has merit also.

If you had to scavenge for ammo, what do you think is going to be the most available?

22Lr would be great to use to get food aka small game. But as a self defense round and unreliability of 22lr.. it can have issues. 22Lr guns are tricky some need to be clean and wet some dry. I can fire and have fired 2300 rounds out of my glock 23 with out cleaning. How ling can u go with out cleaning ur 22?? Will you have time to do so?? Just something to think about

22Lr would be great to use to get food aka small game. But as a self defense round and unreliability of 22lr.. it can have issues. 22Lr guns are tricky some need to be clean and wet some dry. I can fire and have fired 2300 rounds out of my glock 23 with out cleaning. How ling can u go with out cleaning ur 22?? Will you have time to do so?? Just something to think about

Seeing as how if SHTF, I'm not looking for a stand up fight. I am running and hiding and avoiding at all peril, I pick the .22lr. You can have so much in your possession with regards to weight and space load. It is ubiquitous and everyone who owns a gun of a higher caliber also owns a .22lr. It is everywhere. You're virtually guaranteed to find it as a scavenger after the stand up fighters are done killing each other. It's a pistol round, it's a rifle round. It's a game load, it's a quiet load.

Maybe I'm mistaken in this. But if SHTF tomorrow and I can only take one....it's my mark iii and 3,000 rounds of ammo.

If forced by my fuzzy logic to pick a higher caliber? 9mmNATO

But where are you going to get 2300 rounds of amo when the SHTF? Certinally not on your back.

my 22/45 has gone 500 rounds (in one day) without a cleaning and worked fine. If you seriously need 2000+ rounds before you have as much time as it takes to do a simple field strip and clean, well then my friend I hope your boots are knee high.

I was using it as an example. I don't intend on carrying 2300 rounds. Just saying. I'm not a huge fan if a 22 in a shtf situation. And given a shtf situation I wouldn't trust my 22 to defend and feed my family. I would rather shoot2 centerfire rounds at someone then 15 22 rounds. Sry it's my preference

Nope it was an example again wow. People these are example and if the opportunity presented itself I would shoot the deer. U can always salt the meet or dehydrate examples. Haha u have fun with ur 22 I'll play with my 40

I reckon it won't be much fun regardless.... :-D

I see a lot of merit in the .22, would be good for hunting, readily available. And that is great. But what do you do if your in a situation, where you can not run and hide, but forced to defend yourself and your family. I think i still want something with some stopping power.

Now a little off topic, I am repairing a "Stevens" Savage 22-.410 takedown, for having stuffed in the bag already. That would be my small game gun.

Just an observation police standard ammo in the US is mostly .40

What will you find in every police car and station and in every FEMA depot after the zombies eat law enforcement brain while you hide? .40 S&W.

As for me .22 sounds right. It works and is quiet. It doesn't attract attention with a loud boom. That is a big plus. Silenced .22 would be even better. Hide and evade the zombies.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

I see a lot of merit in the .22, would be good for hunting, readily available. And that is great. But what do you do if your in a situation, where you can not run and hide, but forced to defend yourself and your family. I think i still want something with some stopping power.

It is hedging your bets. Your scenario opts for a single caliber. So, I choose the most ubiquitous, cheapest, lightest, and viable game round since even if you win a fight you still have to survive.

As for defense, all the rules go out the window in the scenario you describe, I'm thinking a mag dump would be in order and a LOT of little holes.

If we're playing the game of having a long arm, I'd have a 12ga pump shotgun so.... :-)

Just an observation police standard ammo in the US is mostly .40

What will you find in every police car and station and in every FEMA depot after the zombies eat law enforcement brain while you hide? .40 S&W.

As for me .22 sounds right. It works and is quiet. It doesn't attract attention with a loud boom. That is a big plus. Silenced .22 would be even better. Hide and evade the zombies.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

That is interesting. I was wondering what caliber mostly the police use....

It is hedging your bets. Your scenario opts for a single caliber. So, I choose the most ubiquitous, cheapest, lightest, and viable game round since even if you win a fight you still have to survive.

As for defense, all the rules go out the window in the scenario you describe, I'm thinking a mag dump would be in order and a LOT of little holes.

If we're playing the game of having a long arm, I'd have a 12ga pump shotgun so.... :-)

Yes, you are right. I did only give a choice of "1" gun. And one single caliber. In regards to the map, been thinking about that also. I would want to be able to plot routes with access to water. Been, trying to find a good topographical map for my area.

And as far as the shotgun, looked at a moss burg 590 tactical last night. It is sweet...

Depends on the nature of the "bug out" situation-

an absolute breakdown of rule of law?

Either the 12 gauge or the 7.62x39.

If it's a "get out of the neighborhood til crap settles back down"?

I'd grab the 9mm stashed discreetly, with spare mags and ammo