Pistol Caliber  

57 members have voted

1. 1. if you could only take one caliber pistol with you, what would you take?

• .380 ACP
    • 9 mm
    • .357 sig
    • .40 S&W
    • 10 mm
    • .45 ACP
    • And lets not forget the .22

Depends on the nature of the "bug out" situation-

an absolute breakdown of rule of law?

Either the 12 gauge or the 7.62x39.

If it's a "get out of the neighborhood til crap settles back down"?

I'd grab the 9mm stashed discreetly, with spare mags and ammo

How would you know the difference?

How would you know the difference?

A situation where I'd need to get out of town temporarily, but anticipate returning home (natural or man made disaster)

I'd probably bring a discreet firearm just to be cautious during a possibly hectic evacuation..

Now, a super volcano, or zombie apocalypse scenario would certainly call for something less subdued.

I would know the difference because there'd be zombies eating people on my front lawn

I'm 41, btw, if you were curious

A situation where I'd need to get out of town temporarily, but anticipate returning home (natural or man made disaster)

I'd probably bring a discreet firearm just to be cautious during a possibly hectic evacuation..

Now, a super volcano, or zombie apocalypse scenario would certainly call for something less subdued.

I would know the difference because there'd be zombies eating people on my front lawn

I just don't think things will be that clear cut. Where things have gone to hell, they never have been that clear cut and they happened as a process with no initial warning of what the end-state might be.

I'm 41, btw, if you were curious

I am flattered by the offer, but I am not curious in that way.

You carry a 9mm? Really?

So do I. See Post 9 in this thread where I said so. My primary sidearm is a Glock 19.

G19 - You must have a PHD in survival and smart to boot. Yes I carry a G19 or a G26 depending. Oh and I don't carry ball ammo...LOL

There are many SHTF scenarios, but to answer the original question where I am limited to only one handgun in a bugout bag I would choose the .40S&W. As cited by others it is a good self defense round and it shouldn't be too hard to find. (I assume it is a SHTF scenario and it generally implies the use of a bugout bag.)

As I see it... (if I have to bug out) the most important concern is personal safety. You need to stay alive in order to hunt for food. I would bring my .40S&W and a couple #110 conibear traps, and/or some fishing line and hooks and perhaps a couple feet of wire. Trapping small game is a lot quieter than using a firearm of any caliber. You also can make deadfall traps and snares.

If the questioned was reworded and I was asked what firearms would I bring if I wasn't limited to just one or what items would I bring in a SHTF scenario... my answer would probably include a .22 rifle with scope and a shotgun. The long guns could be used for hunting or self defense... ie. keeping attackers at bay that are out of accurate handgun range.

I'm set up for

Multiple 9mm pistols and carbines.

.22lr pistol and scoped bolt action rifle.

12ga shotguns.

Various 5.56, 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 tactical and long range scoped rifles.

I have many other guns of various calibers but given the situation any combination of those guns would be no more than 5 minutes away from being ready to move out. I do not believe any one or two guns can fill all roles, at a minimum I would be packing up a 9mm pistol, a 12ga pump, a .22lr bolt gun and a 5.56 carbine. I see the carbine and pistol as the primary and back-up on the move guns filling a mobile defense role. The 12ga would serve a dual role for hunting larger game, deer etc. and serve as a defensive close quarter weapon while temporarily encamped and resting. The .22lr would serve as a general purpose small game hunting weapon and a potentially quiet option in a preemptive defense situation.

I generally keep a supply of the following

1000-1500 9mm

500-750 12ga

2000-4000 5.56 and/or 7.62x39

500-1000 7.62x51

5000-6000 36gr general purpose .22lr

500-1000 60gr Aquila SSS

500-1000 20gr Aquila Colibri

I haven't been resupplying as much as I have been shooting lately so I'm currently lighter than normal but this is my comfort zone in case shit goes sideways.

1000-1500 9mm

500-750 12ga

500-1000 7.62x51

500-1000 60gr Aquila SSS

I would say in a "Bug In" situation, you are very well stocked.. On a "Bug Out" situation, i guess you would have to pack what you think you could carry without leaving behind other critical supplies...

Congrats! You are now on the FBI watch list lol.

I'm set up for

Multiple 9mm pistols and carbines.

.22lr pistol and scoped bolt action rifle.

12ga shotguns.

Various 5.56, 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 tactical and long range scoped rifles.

I have many other guns of various calibers but given the situation any combination of those guns would be no more than 5 minutes away from being ready to move out. I do not believe any one or two guns can fill all roles, at a minimum I would be packing up a 9mm pistol, a 12ga pump, a .22lr bolt gun and a 5.56 carbine. I see the carbine and pistol as the primary and back-up on the move guns filling a mobile defense role. The 12ga would serve a dual role for hunting larger game, deer etc. and serve as a defensive close quarter weapon while temporarily encamped and resting. The .22lr would serve as a general purpose small game hunting weapon and a potentially quiet option in a preemptive defense situation.

1000-1500 9mm

500-750 12ga

500-1000 7.62x51

500-1000 60gr Aquila SSS

I haven't been resupplying as much as I have been shooting lately so I'm currently lighter than normal but this is my comfort zone in case shit goes sideways.

I would say in a "Bug In" situation, you are very well stocked.. On a "Bug Out" situation, i guess you would have to pack what you think you could carry without leaving behind other critical supplies...

That is what I would normally have on hand but since my first kid was born in 2005 I stopped shooting regularly and don't buy in bulk any more like I used to. I have depleted my supply of 9mm, 5.56 and 7.62x39 substantially. I would love to stock back up but would need to mortgage my house at current prices. Everything I have is broken up in ammo cans and labeled by type so I could grab what I need and run fairly quickly if need be.

Congrats! You are now on the FBI watch list lol.

I was on that list since my ammo order summer of '97, the two 1440 round crates of 7.62x39 alone did that! LOL