BigHayden

NJ bill to ban laser pointers

I just read a disturbing article on NJ.com about a bill that is being advanced to ban laser pointers in NJ that emit more than 1mw of output. The bill is A3169 and after I read the bill, I see that it will ban the sale of Crimson Trace laser grips, along with all other firearms laser aiming devices.

From the bill:

1. a. No person shall sell or offer to sell a laser pointer that exceeds one milliwatt in output power.

b. For the purposes of this section, "laser pointer" means any device that emits laser light to project a beam that may be used for aiming, targeting, or pointing out features.

I know that CT uses the federal maximum allowable output of 5mw, and I'm sure that others (LaserMax, LaserLyte, etc) likely do as well. Even though this isn't a firearms bill, it will still have a ripple effect on firearms owners and dealers in NJ. I urge everyone to spread the word and call your Assemblymen to voice your opposition to this bill.

Again, another bill trying to ban the possession of something. Ridiculous! How about you make it illegal to shine it at peoples faces, and illegal to lase aircraft with it. No...can't do that. We all know there are NO legitimate uses for lasers, ever. Lets just ban them all. Sigh.

Theyre probably gonna use the excuse of pilots getting hit with these lasers from the ground..theres been a bunch at Newark and Teterboro

And Atlantic City. I've been lazed a few times flying around Jersey. It is annoying, can be dangerous (depending on the power of the laser), and stupid. Even yet, I still don't wish them to be illegal.

Again, another bill trying to ban the possession of something. Ridiculous!

To make it more Ridiculous.. the bill doesn't ban the POSSESSION of the pointers but the sale. Correct me if I'm wrong but that means online sales are still allowed.

This is just totally stupid... 1mW is so weak that it's a joke. Laser pointers have many uses outside of firearms as well. Amateur astronomers use them pretty frequently. I'm a pretty serious amateur astronomer, and use hi powered green laser pointers for pointing out stuff in the night sky when giving presentations to groups at "star parties" or teaching someone who's new to astronomy. It's not uncommon to see astronomers that have laser pointers that are upwards of 150mW and even stronger. They are of course always used with the utmost care and never pointed in the direction of an aircraft.

But as you guys stated... Good ole NJ is at it again... wasting time and taxpayer money on things that really don't accomplish anything. How about they tackle something that really matters, like creating more jobs in this state or lowering property taxes!?!?!?!

My cat will be pissed his fav toy is banned

nah the cat toy will still be legal, remember it has to be over 1mw most ones used for business presentations and consumer laser pointers are under that requirement however banning a beam of light is fuqqing retarded and this state is turning into crap.

nah the cat toy will still be legal, remember it has to be over 1mw most ones used for business presentations and consumer laser pointers are under that requirement however banning a beam of light is fuqqing retarded and this state is turning into crap.

Actually, 5mW is the legal limit that can be sold in the US and most of the cheapo laster pointers are usually in the 1mW to 3mW range. The better and more expensive pointers are usually 5mW... but you can buy much higher powered ones online from sources outside the US.

Sen Van Drew and Asm Albano from Cape May/Cumberland counties are responsible for this abortion of legislation.

They first introduced their bills in 2010 and they never got out of committee.

Now here they are on their second go around and the Senate side passed their bill 39-0 in June.

The Assembly bill is going to our "buddies" at the Law & Public Safety Committee next, then on to the Assembly floor for a vote.

The bill only criminalizes the sale of laser pointers exceeding 1mw (which includes Crimson Trace and LaserLyte) but doesn't criminalize their possession, use or transfer without compensation.

Nice going, legislators. Next thing you know, it'll be illegal to buy a Red Ryder BB gun at Two Guys. Oh, wait ...

Again, another bill trying to ban the possession of something. Ridiculous! How about you make it illegal to shine it at peoples faces, and illegal to lase aircraft with it. No...can't do that. We all know there are NO legitimate uses for lasers, ever. Lets just ban them all. Sigh.

And Atlantic City. I've been lazed a few times flying around Jersey. It is annoying, can be dangerous (depending on the power of the laser), and stupid. Even yet, I still don't wish them to be illegal.

Well it's already federally illegal to point lasers at aircraft. They used to use the law about interfering with an aircraft and or flight crew, but passed one specifically about pointing them at aircraft. I've been hit with lasers 5 times while flying and it can be very distracting. In fact just two weeks ago we were hit in jersey city. I still don't believe they should be banned, I just think the idiots that do this sort of thing should get a beat down. As usual though they'll punish everyone for the actions of a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bill only criminalizes the sale of laser pointers exceeding 1mw (which includes Crimson Trace and LaserLyte) but doesn't criminalize their possession, use or transfer without compensation.

I wonder if any LE agencies in NJ use lasers as part of their kit... There's no exception for LE in the bill.

I'm pretty sure there are already restrictions on the use of them just like this.

Again, another bill trying to ban the possession of something. Ridiculous! How about you make it illegal to shine it at peoples faces, and illegal to lase aircraft with it. No...can't do that.

It is already a crime in NJ; N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1b(11)

N.J.S.A. § 2C:12-1.b. Aggravated Assault

b. Aggravated assault. A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he:

(11) Uses or activates a laser sighting system or device, or a system or device which, in the manner used, would cause a reasonable person to believe that it is a laser sighting system or device, against a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his duties while in uniform or exhibiting evidence of his authority. As used in this paragraph, "laser sighting system or device" means any system or device that is integrated with or affixed to a firearm and emits a laser light beam that is used to assist in the sight alignment or aiming of the firearm.

Aggravated assault under subsections b.(1) and b.(6) is a crime of the second degree; under subsections b.(2), b.(7), b.(9) and b.(10) is a crime of the third degree; under subsections b.(3) and b.(4) is a crime of the fourth degree; and under subsection b.(5) is a crime of the third degree if the victim suffers bodily injury, otherwise it is a crime of the fourth degree. Aggravated assault under subsection b.(8) is a crime of the third degree if the victim suffers bodily injury; if the victim suffers significant bodily injury or serious bodily injury it is a crime of the second degree. Aggravated assault under subsection b.(11) is a crime of the third degree.

It is already a crime in NJ; N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1b(11)

See, that's what sucks about NJ. They make something illegal, people still do it, then the innocent 99.99999% are banned from using it. In the mean time, the criminal will continue to use whatever has been "banned". 12 freaking tiers of the same laws...

Actually, 5mW is the legal limit that can be sold in the US and most of the cheapo laster pointers are usually in the 1mW to 3mW range. The better and more expensive pointers are usually 5mW... but you can buy much higher powered ones online from sources outside the US.

I guess Wicked Lasers is based outside of the US then.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic

Wicked is in China... I have one of their Arctics. But believe it or not, it's not just kids doing stupid things with lasers. I've been experimenting with low level lasers for years. So I've kept an eye on the articles and bs.

By saying you are over 21 when you purchase a laser over .95mw means squat! There are stupid adults that do stupid things sometimes more so than kids. It's sickening. It's actually very easy to build a strong laser.

Of course the strength and damage of the lasers are dependent upon their wavelengths. But the power of a laser does not discriminate based on the damage it can do. While almost any laser can cause temporary blindness to permanent damage, it's the real powerful ones that can go the distance. The distance it can travel dissipates while it also can expand. There are quite of few factors like quality of lens, the collimation of lens, the intensity (power) of the beam, blah blah blah. Once passed a certain wattage, they can burn.

Bottom line, cheap laser pointers can be just as bad as a powerful one.

I guess Wicked Lasers is based outside of the US then.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/arctic

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Sen Van Drew and Asm Albano from Cape May/Cumberland counties are responsible for this abortion of legislation.

Senator Van Drew would make a lot better use of his time and energy by trying to push the concealed carry bill that he introduced a couple of years ago, which never went anywhere.