BigHayden

NJ bill to ban laser pointers

This is pretty awful. I have two good friends that live on the Delaware and I spend many nights at their properties. I'll be sure to point lasers at NJ. Since I can't fire hollowpoints across the river. I have to settle for sprinkling a few hollowpoints in every bag of garbage my hauling company takes over there. ;)

In addition to N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1b(11) that I posted previously which is a third degree crime; NJ also has this gem on the books.

2C:33-14 Interference with transportation.

2C:33-14. a. Interference with Transportation. A person is guilty of interference with transportation if the person purposely or knowingly:

(7) shines, points or focuses a laser lighting device beam, directly or indirectly, upon a person operating any vehicle, including, but not limited to, a bus, light rail vehicle, railroad locomotive, railroad car, jitney, trolley car, subway car, ferry, airplane, or other facility of transportation. As used in this paragraph, "laser lighting device" means a device which emits a laser beam that is designed to be used by the operator as a pointer or highlighter to indicate, mark or identify a specific position, place, item or object.

tab.gifb.tab.gifInterference with transportation is a disorderly persons offense.

tab.gifc.tab.gifInterference with transportation is a crime of the fourth degree if the person purposely, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another person or causes pecuniary loss in excess of $500 but less than $2,000.

tab.gifd.tab.gifInterference with transportation is a crime of the third degree if the person purposely, knowingly or recklessly causes significant bodily injury to another person or causes pecuniary loss of $2,000 or more, or if the person purposely or knowingly creates a risk of significant bodily injury to another person.

tab.gife.tab.gifInterference with transportation is a crime of the second degree if the person purposely, knowingly or recklessly causes serious bodily injury to another person.

So once again in NJ, criminalizing the misuse of a tool is no longer good enough. Since it is too much trouble to catch the people that are doing bad things we are going to see them ban the tools bad people use and prosecute any and every one that owns that tool regardless of their intent.

How long before these asshats mandate us to deposit our pay checks into an account and apply to a state bureaucrat for permission to buy everything so they can ensure that what we want to buy doesn't offend or have the capacity to harm anyone? Seriously, stick a fork in this state, it is done. They are so far gone it will take generations to correct their flawed ideological ineptness.

It wouldn't be a crime to use the laser, or lidar, just a crime to purchase/transfer. So no new ones could be purchased.

Refering to statute in post 36.

This is what happens when a bunch of lawyers write laws without knowing what the f they are doing.

I think it must be bad-bill day^h^hweek. First there was a laser pointer bill. Then I saw a proposed bill to ban the use of "Replacement officials". Now I see talk of another proposed bill about pets in seatbelts while in the car. Add to that I thought I saw something about PA wanting a bill to make it illegal to set up fake online profiles..

Seriously, aren't there more important issues these guys should be focused on?

It is an infrared laser which is worse than a visible laser because your eye does not even know the light is there so you can react (turn your head, close your eyes, etc.)

It's arguable if LIDAR has an effect, it's weak and has a large spread. I have been tagged probably over a hundred times and my eyes are fine. I have been tagged by probably thousands of infinities as well. My V1's laser warning goes off almost every time i'm in my car.

Nothing in statute about "visible"

"Laser Lighting device" There is no lighting effect, no light is emitted, take it as visible light or what ever. You could argue the true meaning of light, but the statute specifically says lighting. If they wanted to incorporate all lasers they wouldn't have mentioned the word "lighting". At least that's how i read it. From a purely scientific perspective, and someone who teaches the topic, almost every physics book refers to light as the "visible" part of the spectrum to the human eye.

"Laser Lighting device" There is no lighting effect, no light is emitted, take it as visible light or what ever. You could argue the true meaning of light, but the statute specifically says lighting. If they wanted to incorporate all lasers they wouldn't have mentioned the word "lighting". At least that's how i read it. From a purely scientific perspective, and someone who teaches the topic, almost every physics book refers to light as the "visible" part of the spectrum to the human eye.

LIDAR (Light Detection And Ranging, also LADAR) is an optical remote sensing technology that can measure the distance to, or other properties of a target by illuminating the target with light, often using pulses from a laser

2C:33-14 Interference with transportation.

2C:33-14. a. Interference with Transportation. A person is guilty of interference with transportation if the person purposely or knowingly:

(7) shines, points or focuses a laser lighting device beam, directly or indirectly, upon a person operating any vehicle, including, but not limited to, a bus, light rail vehicle, railroad locomotive, railroad car, jitney, trolley car, subway car, ferry, airplane, or other facility of transportation. As used in this paragraph, "laser lighting device" means a device which emits a laser beam that is designed to be used by the operator as a pointer or highlighter to indicate, mark or identify a specific position, place, item or object.

tab.gifb.tab.gifInterference with transportation is a disorderly persons offense.

tab.gifc.tab.gifInterference with transportation is a crime of the fourth degree if the person purposely, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another person or causes pecuniary loss in excess of $500 but less than $2,000.

tab.gifd.tab.gifInterference with transportation is a crime of the third degree if the person purposely, knowingly or recklessly causes significant bodily injury to another person or causes pecuniary loss of $2,000 or more, or if the person purposely or knowingly creates a risk of significant bodily injury to another person.

tab.gife.tab.gifInterference with transportation is a crime of the second degree if the person purposely, knowingly or recklessly causes serious bodily injury to another person.

By DEFINITION, LIDAR is a light source. Generated from a LASER. Which part of using a LIDAR does not violate (7)?

LIDAR (Light Detection And Ranging, also LADAR) is an optical remote sensing technology that can measure the distance to, or other properties of a target by illuminating the target with light, often using pulses from a laser

By DEFINITION, LIDAR is a light source. Generated from a LASER. Which part of using a LIDAR does not violate (7)?

I think Jack is missing the point that an infrared laser is indeed light just not within the visible spectrum the human eye can detect.

Fallene_LightSpectrumChart_b.jpg

It emits wavelengths in the IR range, that is the most accurate definition. Does a microwave emit light too, how about x-rays or radio waves? Like i said you could argue the true meaning of light, but the most common and widely accepted definition is that light refers to the visible part of the spectrum. There is nothing separating an x-ray from a radio wave from visible light other then the fact they travel at different electromagnetic wavelengths. Some lasers are near-IR, and they are basically 750nm, which is the last bit of visible light that we can see(laser pointers and such).

if your going to say that IR is light, then you would have to accept the definition of light meaning all parts of the spectrum. Do you think that microwaves are light? Were really arguing a topic that has been beaten to death by the scientific communtiy.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/light

It emits wavelengths in the IR range, that is the most accurate definition. Does a microwave emit light too, how about x-rays or radio waves? Like i said you could argue the true meaning of light, but the most common and widely accepted definition is that light refers to the visible part of the spectrum. There is nothing separating an x-ray from a radio wave from visible light other then the fact they travel at different electromagnetic wavelengths. Some lasers are near-IR, and they are basically 750nm, which is the last bit of visible light that we can see(laser pointers and such).

if your going to say that IR is light, then you would have to accept the definition of light meaning all parts of the spectrum. Do you think that microwaves are light? Were really arguing a topic that has been beaten to death by the scientific communtiy.

http://www.merriam-w...ictionary/light

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lidar

i just realized something, LIDAR is a VERY broad term, ranging from the UV wavelengths all the way up to IR. So it would be entirely dependent on what wavelength the system uses.

http://mr2.com/TEXT/FAQonLidar.html

"Police lidar is 904 nanometers, 5 nanosecond pulses of 25 Watt instantaneous power delivered into a 4 milliradian cone angle at 1 KHz repetition rate. The long wavelength and low average power aids eye safety."

I think Jack is missing the point that an infrared laser is indeed light just not within the visible spectrum the human eye can detect.

Fallene_LightSpectrumChart_b.jpg

That diagram is unfortunately deceiving due to varied terminologies and loose usage thereof.

The visible spectrum does not end with "infrared." It ends with "Near Infrared," which is actually very, very far from true infrared on a comparative basis.

The cop laser is not infrared. The spectrum is appropriately called "Near Infrared." Which is light, not radiative thermal transport. I can see it in my gallium arsenide photocathode image intensification tubes and do not need to use my thermal imaging equipment to see it. Read the side of it for the wavelength. It's probably around 850-1100 IIRC.

That diagram is unfortunately deceiving due to varied terminologies and loose usage thereof.

The visible spectrum does not end with "infrared." It ends with "Near Infrared," which is actually very, very far from true infrared on a comparative basis.

The cop laser is not infrared. The spectrum is appropriately called "Near Infrared." Which is light, not radiative thermal transport. I can see it in my gallium arsenide photocathode image intensification tubes and do not need to use my thermal imaging equipment to see it. Read the side of it for the wavelength. It's probably around 850-1100 IIRC.

I wasn't writing a thesis about it I was merely making a point that light can exist even if your human eye can't see it and this was the first image I found...

I wasn't writing a thesis about it I was merely making a point that light can exist even if your human eye can't see it and this was the first image I found...

I wasn't disputing or arguing, I was trying to add to it. Some people seem to want to parse short and long wave IR, microwaves, etc., and the truth is these are Near-IR devices that are definitely light that acts exactly like visible light.

In my industry there are mostly two types of infrared devices used, 840nm and 980nm. The human eye can detect a faint glow from the 840s but it is impossible to see anything looking at the 980s without some sort of light amplification or night vision. Ive never worked with anything above 980nm.

In my industry there are mostly two types of infrared devices used, 840nm and 980nm. The human eye can detect a faint glow from the 840s but it is impossible to see anything looking at the 980s without some sort of light amplification or night vision. Ive never worked with anything above 980nm.

Those are generally called "Near-IR." The fact that you don't call them that in your industry doesn't make you wrong, it's the problem with the disparity of terminology I discussed. Let's put it this way, nothing under 1000 is predominantly responsible for radiative heat transfer. True IR is further.

Look i have no issues with you using light in that sense, i'm not saying your wrong. But understand, your either going to consider light as the visible part of the spectrum, or your going to understand light to be all parts of the spectrum. Either you just consider light to be what we see. or your going to inlcude everything from gamma rays to radio waves. I was merely pointing out that light is most commonly referred to as the visible part of the spectrum in the most basic sense, with out going into such detail of explaining near-IR ranges(as i don't know enough to really explain the N-IR range and the N-UV range).Visible light doesn't just end at one particular wavelength, as you stated you can actually see wavelengths past what is considered the IR range(identified as the near-IR range). So while you are in the IR range technically, its still visible to the naked eye, thus being a visible part of the spectrum) I brought up the question if you thought radio waves are light for a reason, you can make a radio laser. if you dont think a radio wave is light, then what differentiates a radio wave from say an IR wave?