Sign in to follow this  
CJR

Hot Bluing services vintage shotgun in the North NJ area??

I recently received a 1961 20 Gauge Browning Lightning Over/under shotgun......It's a beautiful shotgun but I want to get it re-blued and refinished.....I was wondering if anyone knows a place I could take my shotgun for theses services.....Thanks in advanced.

If you want your 60's-era Belgium Lightning Superposed to be returned to its original form, it needs to be rust blued. Brownings of that era were rust blued, and had a blue-gray satin look to them. Later era Browning's were caustic blued and exhibit a deeper blue-black in coloring. A used 20 ga. Superposed Lightning grade goes for a pretty penny today. Cherish it!

Locally, I suspect Griffin & Howe could do this for you.

One company that specializes in Browning restorations and does a lot of Browning's warranty work is Midwest Gun Works. My friend had a Belgium Browning Superposed 20 ga. reblued and restocked by them, and the work was very well done. (He somehow stumbled onto a nice 20 ga. Superposed; a 28" barreled Lightning with factory IC/M tubes.)

http://www.midwestgu...-services#metal

the issue with OU and SS shotguns are that the barrels are soldered together. The hot blue has a chance of getting hot enough to melt the solder. Rust blue is the recommended process for those guns.