checko

Question on BCM Comp Mod1

Just bought me a spikes stripped lower today and I'm looking into building the shortest, lightest, quality AR for run and gun type classes.

I'm looking at the BCM SOCOM M4 14.5" and getting a new BCM CompMod1 permanently attached before shipping.

Question is will this be NJ legal? Its listed as a compensator but in the description it "reduces flash signature", as well as other characteristics. What say you? Does anyone have more info on this. Its brand new.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Compensator-MOD-1-5-56-p/bcm-gfc-mod-1-556.htm

You're not going to find much. I've been following the story surrounding the BCM Comp since rumors were flying that they were designing one, and am VERY interersted in picking one up. It's been highly reviewed by Larry Vickers, Stickman, Travis Haley, and others.

The good news is that is branded a Compensator and not a flash hider. The bad news is could a state tropper stick his pinky into the interior "muzzle cone" (the very informal test used to determine if a muzzle device is a flash hider or not)??? Thats the question. I have not seen a picture of the front of the BCM GUnfighter Compensator yet, and that will help shed light on how it will be viewed in NJ.

Others will say if it's branded a compensator and you perm attach it you are GTG, but that's a decision for each of us to make individually.

Me personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but again that is just me.

I too have been following the development of this comp. and would like to try one out after some of the hysteria wears off.

Don't know if you guys saw it but here is another short review on the BCM comp. by Tim Lau http://modernservice...ons.com/?p=1047

Me personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but again that is just me.

I too have been following the development of this comp. and would like to try one out after some of the hysteria wears off.

Don't know if you guys saw it but here is another short review on the BCM comp. by Tim Lau http://modernservice...ons.com/?p=1047

Looks like the ability for flash suppression is about the same as the battlecomp which is pretty popular. That makes me feel better

Great article. Thanks!

From the looks of it, I would not risk it. I might be willing to have the argument if the method by which it reduces flash were not the same as an a2 flash hider which is a no-no. It just looks like it does less of it while trapping and redirecting gasses with the backwards velocity stack.

This won't help answer any "is it NJ legal" questions, but it's still a good comparison video... I just wish they included the FSC556

X2-My thoughts are worth nothing but from what I have read the FSC556 slighlty edges out the BCM on flash suppression but the BCM does not have near the muzzle blast of the FSC556. Again take that for what it is worth (nothing). If someone gets one and would let me, I'd love to try it out but I am not cutting off a perfectly good comp.for one that's for sure.

clear1x1.gifDescription clear1x1.gifclear1x1.gifDBox_Border_Left_Top.gifclear1x1.gifDBox_Border_Right_Top.gifclear1x1.gif

This Compensator was not designed as a gamers comp. It was designed for tactical applications to reduce muzzle rise, flash signature, noise, and lateral pressure.

The BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 1 - 5.56

• Compatible with A2-mounted suppressors due to unique external geometry.
  • Tuned slots and interior cone offer maximum in recoil mitigations, compensation of muzzle-rise, and flash reduction.
  • Dual action brake minimizes side pressure and designed to have much less noise asscoiated with typical compensators. Makes it perfect for working in teams for CQB. It is a compensator that is built for the 21st Century Gunfighter!
  • Stainless Steel construction for maximum corrosion resistance
  • Predrilled hole at the base for permanent installation.
  • Should be installed by a qualified military armorer.

A NJ prosecutor might say "Look, it says right there that it reduces flash. It is then a flash hider"

A NJ prosecutor might say "Look, it says right there that it reduces flash. It is then a flash hider"

Here's the Battle comp's description:

The BattleComp offers muzzle control like some of the best brakes on the market, with none of their liabilities. The BattleComp 1.0 is a true tactical compensator specifically designed for military and law enforcement operators who use the AR15 platform for CQB. The BattleComp gives the tactical operator excellent control WITHOUT the excessive concussion and crushing blast produced by most compensators on the market -- with flash comparable to an A2 -- and all in an A2-sized package.

Here's the PWS FSC556 description:

The Flash Suppressing Compensator (FSC) series of muzzle devices from PWS provides superior compensation characteristics combined with enough flash suppression to keep the flash out of your optics and line of sight. Designed for both competitive and tactical use, the FSC series allows for superior muzzle stabilization and aids the shooter in faster follow up shots and accuracy.

All of the FSC Series muzzle devices have been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE, thus removing any restriction from assault weapon ban states or provinces.

I am not trying to start an arguement, but the wording of flash suppressing/hiding abilities is in the wording of these as well. They do have a BATFE ruling stating they are not flash hiders but I believe that since the ban was lifted the BATFE no longer makes ruling on comps. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

This has been covered before, but the State AG and any local prosecutor can interpret these items in anyway they want. No matter what we think.

Again I AM NOT A LAWYER but there are probaby hundreds if not thousands of these above named devices pinned and welded to AR barrels in NJ. I just don't think it is an issue.

Also we are talking about .223/5.56 It is not that powerful of a round. You don't even really need a comp. unless you shoot matches or are taking some training courses. IMHO, A target crown barrel is a great option and then you have zero worries about if your comp is legal or not.

If it just simply a looks thing (which I can understand) get the Branson brake looks like an A2 and cheap muzzle-brake-branson

IMHO If you want the most "bang for your buck" in a truly effective comp. it is tough to beat the Miculek. muzzle-brake-miculek

There will always be those "what if" and "My neighbor's, cousin's, friend's, uncle who used to be in the FBI says" stories on the good old web to keep some quaking in their boots.

No matter what I or anyone else thinks, it just comes down to what YOU are most comfortable with.

Here's the Battle comp's description:

The BattleComp offers muzzle control like some of the best brakes on the market, with none of their liabilities. The BattleComp 1.0 is a true tactical compensator specifically designed for military and law enforcement operators who use the AR15 platform for CQB. The BattleComp gives the tactical operator excellent control WITHOUT the excessive concussion and crushing blast produced by most compensators on the market -- with flash comparable to an A2 -- and all in an A2-sized package.

Here's the PWS FSC556 description:

The Flash Suppressing Compensator (FSC) series of muzzle devices from PWS provides superior compensation characteristics combined with enough flash suppression to keep the flash out of your optics and line of sight. Designed for both competitive and tactical use, the FSC series allows for superior muzzle stabilization and aids the shooter in faster follow up shots and accuracy.

All of the FSC Series muzzle devices have been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE, thus removing any restriction from assault weapon ban states or provinces.

I am not trying to start an arguement, but the wording of flash suppressing/hiding abilities is in the wording of these as well. They do have a BATFE ruling stating they are not flash hiders but I believe that since the ban was lifted the BATFE no longer makes ruling on comps. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

This has been covered before, but the State AG and any local prosecutor can interpret these items in anyway they want. No matter what we think.

Again I AM NOT A LAWYER but there are probaby hundreds if not thousands of these above named devices pinned and welded to AR barrels in NJ. I just don't think it is an issue.

Also we are talking about .223/5.56 It is not that powerful of a round. You don't even really need a comp. unless you shoot matches or are taking some training courses. IMHO, A target crown barrel is a great option and then you have zero worries about if your comp is legal or not.

If it just simply a looks thing (which I can understand) get the Branson brake looks like an A2 and cheap muzzle-brake-branson

IMHO If you want the most "bang for your buck" in a truly effective comp. it is tough to beat the Miculek. muzzle-brake-miculek

There will always be those "what if" and "My neighbor's, cousin's, friend's, uncle who used to be in the FBI says" stories on the good old web to keep some quaking in their boots.

No matter what I or anyone else thinks, it just comes down to what YOU are most comfortable with.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I just don't feel like failing the "pinky test" and having to spend all of my money keeping me out of jail. I have a miculek now and love it. Figured it would be easier for them to pin on their comp at the factory.