Bagarocks

Cleaning and maintenance of Dies

I use Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner & Dry Lube. It combines both a solvent cleaning carrier that cleans/flushes really well, and when it dries, leaves behind a non-tacky dry film lubricant. I find it perfect for cleaning/protecting dies. I actually use it as a general purpose cleaner/lubricant/protectant for my entire press.

For areas that come in contact with powder like the case tray, make sure you let it dry well, then just lightly buff with a soft cloth.

This stuff also works well on guns, but I prefer it for reloading almost exclusively as I have other gun products that I rather use on guns. The only exception is a small can of it that I keep in my range bag in case I need a CLP type product in the field as it is more convenient then my other stuff to carry around.

I don't think there's a one size fits all answer. I think an important factor is what cartridges you are loading and especially the components.

223 - my dies require very little / no maintenance. Cases are tumbled clean, I use One Shot lube and carbide dies. So no die contamination.

9mm - Pretty much the same as 223. Clean cases and carbides 15k/ yr rounds and never cleaned a die. BTW always loaded jackets.

45acp - The thing I monitor is lead building up in the seating die and moving contamination over to the crimp die.

Thanks Frank, good info. As I have mentioned before I wet tumble and I prime my brass prior to cleaning with a Lee Universal de-caping die in a separate tool-head on my Dillon 650. So all by dies I use for loading always see clean brass and I only an using X-Treme plated bullets so no lead concerns. Also I use Hornady One-Shot on my brass so I guess I should be good with clean dies for some time. :)

I don't think there's a one size fits all answer. I think an important factor is what cartridges you are loading and especially the components.

223 - my dies require very little / no maintenance. Cases are tumbled clean, I use One Shot lube and carbide dies. So no die contamination.

9mm - Pretty much the same as 223. Clean cases and carbides 15k/ yr rounds and never cleaned a die. BTW always loaded jackets.

45acp - The thing I monitor is lead building up in the seating die and moving contamination over to the crimp die.

Thanks for the tip on the lead buildup I never gave that any thought.

I do decap with the Lee decapping die and then clean and I do use carbide dies so I guess im in good company.

I inspected mine and honestly they don't look dirty at all so I don't think I need to clean them.

Is that correct? The only time I had to was I found a lot of waxy build up from loading lead

rounds with that wax ring.

I inspected mine and honestly they don't look dirty at all so I don't think I need to clean them.

Is that correct? The only time I had to was I found a lot of waxy build up from loading lead

rounds with that wax ring.

You also have to watch for case lube buildup as well

I clean them with a cotton swab and alcohol. The dirtiest die is the seating die with lead. The bullet lube builds up inside the die. The next is the resizing die. Case lube and any residual carbon on the case build up on the inside. It is important to make sure the seating die is clean as any build up can reduce OAL and cause an over pressure situation.

The first scratch I get in the brass is when I clean em. I size after cleaning the cases usually but not always if they looked really clean to begin with. I take the die apart and put it in a heated ultrasonic cleaner with a little Lyman gun parts cleaner in it. Once its cleaned I will rinse it in hot water and put it under a heatlamp til dry. Once dry I usually coat them with liquid wrench DFL or Eezox and put em away.

Ken

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By RetNJ47
      Great start for people looking to get into reloading. $500. (FIRM)

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme IV Single Stage Press on Inline Fab stand with extras. Located in the Lakewood area(Weshoot or Shoreshot). Would prefer to meet at either of those spots but willing to meet halfway.
      Rockchucker Supreme IV Single Stage Press
      https://www.rcbs.com/presses/single-stage/rock-chucker-supreme-press/16-9356.html
      Inline Fabrication Ultramount for RCBS Rockchucker, RC1,2,3. Supreme IV,Pro2000 & Turret presses.
      https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/rcbs/products/ultramount-for-rcbs-rockchucker-rc1-rc2-supreme-pro2000
      Inline Fab Automatic Case Ejector System 
      https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/rcbs/products/case-ejector-system-for-rcbs-rockchucker-single-stage
      Inline Fab Universal double component tray system.
      https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/press-accessories/products/universal-double-bullet-tray-system?variant=323708361
      RCBS
      Uniflow Powder Drop 
      https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/mechanical/mechanical/uniflow-powder-measure-iii/16-9016.html
      M500 Mechanical Scale 
      https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/weighing-scales/m500-mechanical-scale/16-98915.html
      Powder Trickler 
      https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/scale-and-powder-accessories/powder-trickler-2/16-9089.html
      Universal Case Loading Block 
      https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/accessories/universal-case-loading-block/16-9452.html
      Hand Priming Tool for Small and Large Primers 
      https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/hand-held/hand-priming-tool/16-90200.html
      Additional press add ons:
      (NIB) Advanced Powder Stand
      https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/scale-and-powder-accessories/advanced-powder-measure-stand/16-9092.html
      (NIB) RCBS Auto Prime System
      https://www.rcbs.com/presses/press-accessories/rock-chucker-supreme-auto-prime/16-9358.html
      Hornady impact bullet puller.

Small items include (2) funnels with different attachments, calipers, primer pocket brush, case lube, case wax, case lube pad, lube pad roller, and die wrench.
      All the heavy lifting to start reloading is done. This press/die set has only been used to deprime a few cartridges(I have no patience). Aside from dust it’s brand new.
      ****DISCLAIMER**** Not my fault if you do something stupid and get hurt. Do your research.

• By BigAl43
      RCBS Chargemaster 1500 for sale.  Works great but I don't use it anymore.
      Located in South Jersey near Philly.
      $250 + Shipping, FTF possible depending on location
      First to post "I'll take it" wins.

• By BigAl43
      For Sale: 1000 each Hornady 6.5MM 140 grain ELDM projectiles. Lot #2211549
      This is NOT loaded ammunition!
      $400 shipped.
      First to post "I'll take it" wins.

• By MartyZ
      Please read this entire post, there is a lot of information, please read read all of it before making a decision. I am selling ALL of my reloading equipment, everything set up for 9mm, 45 ACP, 223, and 308.
      I will not ship Large or Hazmat items, pick up local in the Manalapan area. I am willing to drive 10 miles in any direction. For large orders I would consider driving further.
      I can ship small items on your dime. Keep in mind, bullets are small but very heavy, shipping them will be expensive

My pricing methodology is simple, all prices are based on retail prices as of 6/29/2022:
      All hardware, whether New or Used, is 10% below amazon prices.
      Bullets are full retail price per powder valley and Berry’s prices for un-opened boxes. 10% below retail for loose bullets
      All prices are rounded to the nearest dollar
      There is always room to negotiate price as long as the offers are reasonable. But all negotiations must be completed prior to delivery, not during the delivery (I had a bad experience with this).

First “I’ll take it” in the thread, not via PM, gets the sale.
      If we are negotiating via PM and someone says “I’ll take it” in the thread during negotiations, the “I’ll take it” gets the sale.

Most items can be purchased separately but some will need to be combined for obvious reasons. Here is the extensive list. Photos will be provided upon request, there are too many to put into the post.

I accept Cash or Paypal as gift

Hornady LnL Shell Plates – Sold individually
      #1                                                                                  - $36
      #16                                                                                - $36
      #25                                                                                - $36

Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set – Sold individually
      .223 (2 LnL Bushings Installed - $12)                             - $60
      .308 (with spare zip spindle, expander and 2 decapping pins - $12)                             - $60

Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 3-Die Set – Sold individually
      .45 ACP (3 LnL Bushings Installed - $18)                        - $68

Case Prep – Sold individually
      Lyman 7832323 Reloading 223 Case Length/Headspace Gauge                                                                                                             - $19
      Lyman Reloading 308 Win Case Length/Headspace Gauge                                                                                                                      - $19
      Lyman Reloading 40 S and W Pistol Max Cartridge Gauge                                                                                                                        - $15
      Lyman Multi-Caliber Large Rifle Ammo Checker                                                                                                                                          - $42

Priming – as a set - $54 Total
         Lee auto primer                                                                                                                  - $31
         Lee shell holders                                                                                                                - $23

Bullet feeder
      45 ACP – as a set - $87 Total
         Hornady LnL Bullet feeder die (1 LnL Bushings Installed - $6)                                 - $48
         Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Tube set                                                                          - $39

Misc - Sold individually
      Hornady Powder cop                                                                                                          - $40
      Lyman, Brass Smith Powder Trickler (New)                                                                    - $27
      Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Impact Bullet Puller                                                       - $12
      Lee universal decapping die with 2 spare pins                                                                - $20

Bullets – Sold by caliber (all available per caliber must be bought together)
      Hornady Interlock 150 gr SP .308 (.308/7.62) – 500 Unopened (5 boxes) 21 loose – 521 in total    - $149
      Hornady Match 68 gr HPBT .224 (.223/5.56) – 53 loose                                                                           - $11
      Hornady 180 gr TMJ RNFP .401 (.40 S&W) – 547 loose                                                                             - $103
      Berry’s 230 gr Plated RN .451 (.45 ACP) – 403 loose                                                                                  - $77
    • By JohnnyB
      I loaded a few hundred 9mm with 5 grains of CFE-Pistol and 115 grain FMJRN heads. I have not had the chance to get to the range yet.
      Does this load sound good, or too small?  I will also be using  some 115 grain plated and wondering if the same powder load would be correct.
      I tried looking all over the Net for info on the CFE-Pistol but most of the info I found was for 124 grain or heavier heads.   Thanks!