peterk2000

Man charged after photos of him posing with weapons appear on Twitter: cops

I'm sure they got a warrant based on that photo, searched the premises, and recovered the weapons.

So a picture of me and a sb rifle or shotgun airsoft weapon grants police a warrant to my home? They got lucky it was real weapons. Guy is a dumbass too.

If they are not obviously airsoft then yes. That would warrant an investigation. Sorry but if stuff is put out there in public expect repercussions.

most of them are replicas. I understand investigating it, but obtaining a warrant that easily. I mean people could literally photoshop pictures of others and post them online. I can see them knocking on the door and inquiring obviously trying there best to get permission to search. That makes a lot more sense to me.

So, if I were to post a video of my son shooting my AK with 30-round at my Dad's house in PA, the NJSP can get a warrent to search my home in NJ?

Sure, the sawed-off shotgun in this specific case would be illegal in any state. But where are the boundaries?

I don't give a crap about the gang-banger in the article. But I am not comfortable with the precedence this sets.

So, if I were to post a video of my son shooting my AK with 30-round at my Dad's house in PA, the NJSP can get a warrent to search my home in NJ?

Sure, the sawed-off shotgun in this specific case would be illegal in any state.  But where are the boundaries?

I don't give a crap about the gang-banger in the article.  But I am not comfortable with the precedence this sets.

I think you answered your own question. If it is illegal no matter where he is there is no excusing his possession of it. If it were a gray area such as whats legal there but not here would be somewhat questionable.

So I go to a friend's house in PA, shoot a bunch of his machine guns, SBR and SBS then post videos and pictures on NJGF or FB because we had fun and I want to share it; somehow that becomes probable cause to search my house in this backwards-ass state? I would love to see this photo because unless it clearly shows he was in the state of NJ, like in front of the JCP headquarters or something, I call BS.

I think you answered your own question. If it is illegal no matter where he is there is no excusing his possession of it. If it were a gray area such as whats legal there but not here would be somewhat questionable.

Can't you get a ATF stamp for sbr sbs? It's like putting up a video of full auto, who's to say I don't know people with them legally who let me shoot it with them? Slippery slope. Personally I watch what goes out to the public on my behalf, so I'm not personally worried about something like this. But it's still not right. I'm sure someone brought this to the attention of LE, I would expect there to be a little more to it then the police jus stumbling upon a photo.

I agree that it is a little bit strange that the police can come in to a home over pics posted in the internet i am guessing that there is more to it than is stated in the article. However if I were to post a video of me shooting a full auto SBR or something elce that is illegal in nj and they did come into my home i dont have to worry about a thing because i dont have anything to hide. Nothing illegal here. Am i going to be happy about it, no. I am sure I will feel a bit violated but i am not going to jail over it.

Here is an idea. If you even think it is remotely shady or wrong how bout dont put it on the internet for everyone to see. Do we need to see everyones thoughts or pictures. Leave something sacred. Facebook and twitter will be the downfall of society.

Here is an idea. If you even think it is remotely shady or wrong how bout dont put it on the internet for everyone to see. Do we need to see everyones thoughts or pictures. Leave something sacred. Facebook and twitter will be the downfall of society.

already is.... Amazing how people Sabatoge there lives going public with every thought and picture. I get the stay connected with ppl idea. But share your life with the world, ill pass.

I read the article. I did not however see the pic. Not much info in the article so some questions arise for me. How did they determine where pic was taken? Was exif data the downfall of this dumbass? How was the search warrant obtained. There was a search warrant wasn't there? Short barreled weapons are legal with atf paperwork so while questioning might have been the right move, I cant agree with getting a warrant just off a picture. Still don't know if the weapons were real and the article mentions he was also charged for the knives. So owning knives is illegal now as well? Carrying knives in the prefecture of New Jersikstan may be but owning? I'm not trying to defend this guy nor what he did, but this sends an alaming precedent. Is it ok for the police to pick me up because someone took a pic of me shooting an AK with a drum with the stock folded under on full auto with silencer at a friends in NH and posted it on FB or twitter even though said friend has all the stamps the atf requires? Should it matter that the guy has a certain "look"? If the shotgun was real (I say if because some are buying replica weapons cause companies ship to NJ and use these to pose with. based on what i hear from ppl in JC) and it the pic was in NJ then great illegal weapon off the street, but at what cost. Is the price of one illegal weapon off the street worth the cost? I for one am not sure.

I'm looking at it purely in this case. He has a sawed off shotgun. Illegal everywhere so warrant easy. If there is more grey area then there would need to be more investigation needed before a warrant is procured.

Again^this

thought my original statement articulated this and not a possible "what if its legal somewhere else"

I'm looking at it purely in this case. He has a sawed off shotgun. Illegal everywhere so warrant easy. If there is more grey area then there would need to be more investigation needed before a warrant is procured.

It's not illegal everywhere, what the hell are you talking about? They make an SBS tax stamp for a reason.

Honestly, what probably happened was this: the guy probably had a criminal record, the police were already keeping tabs on him, and boom: he dellivers probable cause via Twitter. Why? As a felon, it's unlawful for him to have any weapon in his hands.

I agree that it is a little bit strange that the police can come in to a home over pics posted in the internet i am guessing that there is more to it than is stated in the article. However if I were to post a video of me shooting a full auto SBR or something elce that is illegal in nj and they did come into my home i dont have to worry about a thing because i dont have anything to hide. Nothing illegal here. Am i going to be happy about it, no. I am sure I will feel a bit violated but i am not going to jail over it.

What would happen to the NJSP if they searched and found out the picture was a fake or it was a plastic [fake] gun? Could he sue or would it simply be "sorry for illegally searching you...everything is okay now" scenario?

Did they knock the door down? Make a huge "stink" in the neighborhood? What I'm getting at, what if his photo was a hoax, then what?

I can not believe the government has this much power to enter a home on a twitter photo. What's next? Could I be evicted from my home because I posted that I fixed a railing on my deck then find out I needed a permit? Where does it end?

What would happen to the NJSP if they searched and found out the picture was a fake or it was a plastic [fake] gun? Could he sue or would it simply be "sorryy for illegally searching you...everything is okay now" scenario?

Did they knock the door down? Make a huge "stink" in the neighborhood? What I'm getting at, what if his photo was a hoax, then what?

That's not how this works. If anything a Judge would have to issue a warrant. The police don't raid houses without warrants except in exigent circumstances. This not being one. The warrant is needed in this case before any entry into the dwelling is made. I doubt this would be a "no knock" raid type warrant but with the possibility of more and dangerous weapons maybe so. Either way in this case it's justified

Honestly, what probably happened was this: the guy probably had a criminal record, the police were already keeping tabs on him, and boom: he dellivers probable cause via Twitter. Why? As a felon, it's unlawful for him to have any weapon in his hands.

Okay, if that's the case then it makes MUCH more sense and I never thought of it like that. Thanks ...

I read the article. I did not however see the pic. Not much info in the article so some questions arise for me. How did they determine where pic was taken? Was exif data the downfall of this dumbass? How was the search warrant obtained. There was a search warrant wasn't there? Short barreled weapons are legal with atf paperwork so while questioning might have been the right move, I cant agree with getting a warrant just off a picture. Still don't know if the weapons were real and the article mentions he was also charged for the knives. So owning knives is illegal now as well? Carrying knives in the prefecture of New Jersikstan may be but owning? I'm not trying to defend this guy nor what he did, but this sends an alaming precedent. Is it ok for the police to pick me up because someone took a pic of me shooting an AK with a drum with the stock folded under on full auto with silencer at a friends in NH and posted it on FB or twitter even though said friend has all the stamps the atf requires? Should it matter that the guy has a certain "look"? If the shotgun was real (I say if because some are buying replica weapons cause companies ship to NJ and use these to pose with. based on what i hear from ppl in JC) and it the pic was in NJ then great illegal weapon off the street, but at what cost. Is the price of one illegal weapon off the street worth the cost? I for one am not sure.

SBR vs. sawed-off shotgun. Yes, a SBR can be legal in America (not NJ) with the proper licensing. I am not sure if a functional sawed-off shotgun is legal in any circumstances, even in America. That is probably the justifiable cause for the warrent.

Plus, the police cannot go to judges for warrants without first having fully investigated the case. My hope would be that someone turned this punk in, the police investigaged, saw he had prior or something, or in some way determined that probable cause existed. Plus, the most warrants are requested by prosecutors, or "persecutors" in NJ.