Sign in to follow this  
DBCooper

Bayonet lugs - AK74

Looking to buy a 74 parts kit from a friend out of state. The 74 bayonet lugs also serve to hold the cleaning rod in place, a feature I would like to keep if possible. In order to make it compliant, is it possible to have him grind off the side lugs off the bayonet posts (see red arrows below) and keep the center portion?

thanks!

bayo.jpg

lugs.jpg

We grind the ears down so its just a tab.

Yes they do, just like that:

akblug.jpg

But you will have hard time removing the rod with welded MB.

I recommend getting another one to use for cleaning.

BTW, I'm interested in AK-74 cleaning rod and cleaning kit.

You can carefully run a file over the welded muzzle brake. A flat section on the bottom wont be noticeable but will allow the cleaning rod to be removed.

It's a good idea.

But I will spend $10-$12 next time I'm buying something I need and get extra cleaning rod to keep at home for cleaning.

One on the rifle will stay there for looks and just in case - it's still possible to get it out, just takes some effort.

Yes, you have to cut off the front sight base, press off the gas block, buy a new gas block and press that on, buy a new front sight base and press that on, and use a lower handguard that has a hole for a cleaning rod. While you are in there you may as well add a "real" (non bolt on) handguard retainer.

Its easier to just buy a rifle with it already done, or build the rifle from scratch if you are on a building kick and absolutely must tinker

I wouldnt use the cleaning rod on the rifle for cleaning anyways, its short and made of a really hard steel which is no good.

I wouldn't worry about hard steel of the rod for original barrel, but could be a good point for domestic barrels.

Length of the rod is sufficient once you attach brush, patch tool or other attachment from cleaning kit.