amagi

Firearm Storage Options - Safe / Cost Efficient / Discrete

Hey all,

I've owned only handguns up until now. I have a small safe I use to store my handguns. It could be carried away, but it is small enough where I hide it inside a larger storage box filled with books. Unless a bunch of burglars who are interested in Statistics and Economics break into my house when I am not home, I shouldn't have much of an issue.

I am going to be, in the coming months, expanding my collection to an AR-15 and a Remington 870. I wanted to know if anyone had any good suggestions for storage.

I would like it to meet some criteria:

- Cost Efficient: No $1,500 monster safes. Maybe max, $500 or $600.

- Transportable: Maybe something I can transport fairly easily? Not too easily, mind you...but nothing ridiculous that weighs a metric ton. If a friend and me could move one if I move out of my apartment, that would suffice.

- Secure/Safe: Obviously, the point of locking the firearms up is to keep the secure and safe.

Please let me one has any suggestions!

Thanks!

That Winchester safe SHTF posted is nice. I saw it in the store and I was really close to buying it but went with something else. Also, dream on if you expect to fit 24 guns in that safe. If you have sxs's, scoped rifles, etc, I'd expect 10-15 max if that.

I've been looking at this one. I like the interior features:

http://www.tractorsu...apacity-1043297

This does look awesome, but it weights 500lbs (literally). I know I am being picky...sorry. I'm young, and I still move around a lot because I rent. I doubt I would find a first floor apartment and carrying this up stairs is No-Bueno.

If I owned a home, this would be on my Christmas list!

How about these?

Just remove the casters after you've wheeled it (empty) into place and load it up.

http://www.knaack.co...tool_chests.php

Brian - these look really good. and only 77 to 145lbs and within my range! Only hang up I have and I will follow up on this, is they say "one time lock installation". Not sure what that means? Otherwise a great find. Thanks!

I've been looking at this one. I like the interior features:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/winchester-reg-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity-1043297

That one has a vertical bolt. That's what you want.

Amagi: I have a 420lb safe and it took my brother, myself, and a fridge dolly to get it in through the garage. If you have stairs forget it. Keep it under 250lbs. or it's a p.i.t.a.

Brian - these look really good. and only 77 to 145lbs and within my range! Only hang up I have and I will follow up on this, is they say "one time lock installation". Not sure what that means? Otherwise a great find. Thanks!

it means you put a padlock into the locking mechanism once, and dont have to mess with it again. while a gang box may seem like a nice choice, you have to remember it will only be locked by a regular keyed lock, which can be picked or bumped. additionally, the steel is not that thick, and if someone wants to get into it, they will with nothing more then a grinder and cutoff wheel. you might as well go for a gun storage chest or cabinet, not a safe. its better then nothing and will slow down a thief, maybe making him move on to an easier target altogether.

Much of it depends on what you you consider your threat level to be. There is no such thing as a burglar-proof safe, safes just slow a burglar down.

If you don't intend on quick access and want something inexpensive that can keep your guns away from your kids or a common burglar who just wants prescription meds or gold, get a 10 gun Stack-on Safe from Dicks Sporting Goods and call it a day. It's not exactly transportable, but they go on sale periodically and for $120, just get a new safe if you ever move and don't feel like unbolting it from the wall.

If you want a bit of an upgrade, there is this corner safe from Sentry that will hold a shotgun or an AR and a few magazines. If you remove some of the hardware, it can fit a shotgun in there too.

http://www.deansafe.com/sentry-safe-home-defense-center.html

For those with safes - how do you get it in the house?

Every site I look at say curbside delivery. My curbside is 60 feet from my garage door and about 8' lower.

My wife paid extra to have it brought into our house since we don't have anything strong enough for moving a 400# safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those with safes - how do you get it in the house?

Every site I look at say curbside delivery. My curbside is 60 feet from my garage door and about 8' lower.

Provided its easy to roll their pallet jack to, it usually is not a problem to ask them to wheel it to the garage. It doesnt hurt to throw the driver a 20 and say lunch is on you :p

Worse case I'm probably not too far from you..I'll help you move it ;)

Just get a cheap small stamped steel rifle safe from a big box store and bolt it to the wall in a closet through the drywall into the 2x4s and lock the closet. I use electrical tape to block all holes and weatherstripping along the door to make near airtight so you can keep silica gel in there to keep them dry.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

I just bought a 300lb Stack-on 14 gun safe. It took me, my 23yr old son and my wife an hour to get it up the stairs. Damn near killed me. I ached for days, I love the idea that my guns are locked up tight but within reach. But I been in the house for 15yrs and don't plan on moving anytime soon.

It took me, my younger brother, and a refridgerator dolly to get it into the garage. 400 lb Cannon safe. Safe will be bolted to the pallet. If you want them to carry it into the house check with the deliverer. Mine was sent by freight carrier and it was only the truck driver. He's going to expect to take it off the back of the truck and leave so again contact the delivery carrier if you need to make other arrangements. I would also advise checking the safe for any damage prior to the driver taking it off the truck.