Luke_WO

What Are You Reading?

Not sure if a thread like this exists. Did a search and found nothing. Feel free to delete if I missed it.

Anyway, just want to get a feel for what others here read in their spare time. I'm always looking for new and interesting stuff.

Currently I'm reading "Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Reilly. Still early on, but very interesting behind the scenes stuff so far. If it's on the NYTimes Nonfiction Bestseller list, chances are I'm interested.

Your turn.

I don't listen to any of that 'best seller' stuff in terms of books. Just because some reviewer thinks this book is better than those books means nothing to me. Just like movies, a movie critic can say all they want this specific movie sucks and it's 1 star when I could find it great.

I'm like 2/3 through "A World Apart" by Rathbone. It's about female prisoners' life in prisons. So far, it has been very good, one of those books that you say "ok just this chapter and then I gotta go to sleep" and you end up reading 3 more chapters! I'm impressed by the research she had to have done to write a book like this.

"Heinrich Himmler" by Longerich. Absolutely riveting study of the leader of the SS and architect of the Holocaust.

An instructive read, too, as one realizes he was a monster shaped by the political climate of the day, along with his sociopathic tendencies. It is not a stretch to believe that there might be a budding Himmler or two currently occupying some mid-level bureaucratic office in D.C.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I read a ton...just not books. It's been years since I read a book last. I think it was In a Company of Heroes' by Michael Durant (the surviving Black Hawk pilot shot down in Somalia...what Black Hawk Down was based off of.

I guess you could say I'm reading 'Conversation Korean', but that is more of a text book...

"The Black Count" by Tom Reiss

Excellent book about the life of Alexander Dumas, the father of the author of the "Count of Monte Cristo" and "The Three Musketeers". He was a black man, the son of a slave, and was considered by many to be the best soldier and fighting man in all of 18th century Europe. He rose from a private to being a Commander of armies during the height of the Revolution in campaigns across Europe and the Middle East.

"Leadership and Training for the Fight" - Ret MSG Paul Howe

A discourse on leadership applicable to Military, LEO and the Business world. Good book with lots of lessons. Reading it for the 3rd time. Learning something new each time.

"The Hobbit" - Tolkien

I just saw the movie and hadn't read it in ages. Wanted to see how close the movie was to the book as I didn't remember alot of the movie being in the book...

I read constantly, but I get book "A.D.D." and need to bounce around a bit. I try to be reading 1 fiction, 1 non-fiction, and 1 professional development book at the same time.

Re reading "The life of Pi" in anticipation of the DVD release ."The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho and Tony Bourdain's graphic novel "Get Jiro".

I have been ripping through the Game of Thrones series and am currently on the last book, A Dance With Dragons.

Usually I am reading history books though, especially about the American Revolution. If anyone is looking for a great read, check out Unbroken by the author of Sea Biscuit. I have never read a better book on perseverance against all odds. It is about a downed airmen in WWII who is captured by the Japanese. They were monsters.

I have been ripping through the Game of Thrones series and am currently on the last book, A Dance With Dragons.

Usually I am reading history books though, especially about the American Revolution. If anyone is looking for a great read, check out Unbroken by the author of Sea Biscuit. I have never read a better book on perseverance against all odds. It is about a downed airmen in WWII who is captured by the Japanese. They were monsters.

+1 on Unbroken. Unbelievably gripping POW story. Reading it makes you want to run to the nearest enlistment office.

Indeed they were....just read about Nanking or Baatan. I visit the Philippines quite a bit and like to frequent the many small museums scattered in the provinces,all have artifacts and accounts of the atrocities from the Japanese occupation.