Luke_WO

What Are You Reading?

Lucifers Hammer by Larry Niven..... Very old SHTF sci-fi..... Lucifers hammer is a meteor..... You can guess the rest...... Well written by Hugo and Nebula award winning sci-fi author Larry Niven......

Very enjoyable, it would be great if it were updated.

Whenever someone mentions how a big meteor would burn up in the atmosphere, I think back to the discussion near the beginning of the book and this quote comes to mind...

"A cubic mile of hot fudge sundae, cometary speeds"

• Like 1

I usually have a number of books going consecutively, divided between hardcover’s read at home and audio books listened to while driving.  My current books are noted below.

AVB-AMG

The Final Day
Written by: William R. Forstchen

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
Written by: Mark Manson

Born to Run
Written by: Bruce Springsteen

Thank You for Being Late: An Optimist's Guide to Thriving in the Age of Accelerations
Written by: Thomas L. Friedman

So if you haven't heard, the left is on a crusade to ban Milo's book.   Sarah Silverman and Judd Apatow are going full brownshirt(see here: http://heatst.com/politics/sarah-silverman-and-judd-apatow-join-movement-to-stop-publication-of-milos-book/), probably want to pile the books up and burn them in the square.

Anyway, another book that is a series of shorts, is out now and Milo wrote the forward.   The author's included here are a who's who list of the anti-PC brigade.   by Milo Yiannopoulos (Author), Tom Kratman (Author), Nick Cole (Author), Larry Correia (Author), Brad R. Torgersen (Author), John C. Wright (Author), Vox Day (Author), L. Jagi Lamplighter (Author), Sarah A. Hoyt (Author), Brian Niemeier (Author), A.M. Freeman (Author), Chromium Oxide (Author), E.J. Shumak (Author), Ray Blank (Author), Matthew Ward (Author), Joshua M. Young (Author), David Hallquist (Author), Pierce Oka (Author), Jane Lebak (Author), Cat Leonard (Illustrator), Jason Rennie (Editor)

This should be a nice stiff poke in the eye of SJW and SJW culture.  I bought it and will read as soon as I'm done with Sinners.

$5 on your Kindle...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5LU9C4/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51OWVcDsUjL.jpg

This looks very interesting, I read a short passage from the book on Amazon, definitely going to get a copy.  How did I never hear of this guy?

Lucifers Hammer by Larry Niven..... Very old SHTF sci-fi..... Lucifers hammer is a meteor..... You can guess the rest...... Well written by Hugo and Nebula award winning sci-fi author Larry Niven......

I love that book!  It's a great read as to what could potentially happen... 

Very enjoyable, it would be great if it were updated.

Whenever someone mentions how a big meteor would burn up in the atmosphere, I think back to the discussion near the beginning of the book and this quote comes to mind...

"A cubic mile of hot fudge sundae, cometary speeds"

I would love to read an updated one too.  We've lost a lot of the basic knowledge of how things work... I think we'd be a lot more screwed.

• Like 1

I love that book!  It's a great read as to what could potentially happen... 

I would love to read an updated one too.  We've lost a lot of the basic knowledge of how things work... I think we'd be a lot more screwed.

If you recall, from the book, the guy was putting books in an unused septic tank to preserve the knowledge.  It has occurred to me more than once that when books are mostly gone, and if something were to occur to our digital mediums, that knowledge will be lost.  Massive quantities of knowledge.      There will be no "rings" like in "The Time Machine" as the machines required to read the data will be as incomprehensible as the data stored on them.

If you recall, from the book, the guy was putting books in an unused septic tank to preserve the knowledge. It has occurred to me more than once that when books are mostly gone, and if something were to occur to our digital mediums, that knowledge will be lost. Massive quantities of knowledge. There will be no "rings" like in "The Time Machine" as the machines required to read the data will be as incomprehensible as the data stored on them.

Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury is up your sleeve.

I read this in my pre pubescent years

Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury is up your sleeve.

Which edition?  I have several.  My wife and I worked for Manhattan publishers for many years.   I struggled with the Spanish version but I enjoyed the British version.

So if you haven't heard, the left is on a crusade to ban Milo's book.   Sarah Silverman and Judd Apatow are going full brownshirt(see here: http://heatst.com/politics/sarah-silverman-and-judd-apatow-join-movement-to-stop-publication-of-milos-book/), probably want to pile the books up and burn them in the square.

Anyway, another book that is a series of shorts, is out now and Milo wrote the forward.   The author's included here are a who's who list of the anti-PC brigade.   by Milo Yiannopoulos (Author), Tom Kratman (Author), Nick Cole (Author), Larry Correia (Author), Brad R. Torgersen (Author), John C. Wright (Author), Vox Day (Author), L. Jagi Lamplighter (Author), Sarah A. Hoyt (Author), Brian Niemeier (Author), A.M. Freeman (Author), Chromium Oxide (Author), E.J. Shumak (Author), Ray Blank (Author), Matthew Ward (Author), Joshua M. Young (Author), David Hallquist (Author), Pierce Oka (Author), Jane Lebak (Author), Cat Leonard (Illustrator), Jason Rennie (Editor)

This should be a nice stiff poke in the eye of SJW and SJW culture.  I bought it and will read as soon as I'm done with Sinners.

$5 on your Kindle...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5LU9C4/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51OWVcDsUjL.jpg

Wow, that is all the endorsement I need. I will definitely buy this.

Just finishing Dinesh D'Souza's What's so great about Christianity now

Just finished "Eye of the Needle" by Ken Follett, which is ironic because I've read a ton of Follett and I'm a big fan, but this book was actually the one that put him on the map and I had never read it til now.

I will check this out. I read Follet's Pillars of the Earth years ago. Different genre but what an incredible read. I also liked On Wings of Eagles, which documents the Ross Perot rescue of his EDS employees from Iran.

I will check this out. I read Follet's Pillars of the Earth years ago. Different genre but what an incredible read. I also liked On Wings of Eagles, which documents the Ross Perot rescue of his EDS employees from Iran.

Did you read the sequel to Pillars of the Earth?

"World Without End."

Written almost 20 years later, just as good.

Highly recommend "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson. Any New Jerseyan should read it, particularly in the Monmouth-Ocean area or any divers, saltwater fisherman etc. About one of the last German U-Boat wrecks discovered off Brielle in the 90's. Awesome read, and well-researched on the topic of diving. Also suspenseful and dramatic. That dude John Chatterton who's been on that Oak Island show co-discovered the U-Boat.

"Toms River" by Dan Fagin also recommended for anyone in MonOc area. Well written and educational; will open your eyes to just how silently dangerous the air in your home or water on your tap can be.

Currently plodding through "AK-47: The Grim Reaper" by Frank Iannamico. It is THE book to own for AK owners. Believe it or not, cheapest price is directly from the publisher, not Amazon or B&N.

"Crashing Through" by Robert Kurson is on my next list. It's about a guy who was blind most of his life and accomplished amazing things like riding motorcycles and working for the CIA, who ended up gaining his vision back by stem cell surgery, only to struggle with life BECAUSE he got his vision back.

I'm almost strictly non-fiction. The way I see it, billions of people have lived on this Earth, and by now in the 21st century so many extraordinary events and people have been put on the books that there's enough to read about for lifetimes.

Did you read the sequel to Pillars of the Earth?

"World Without End."

Written almost 20 years later, just as good.

I saw that and I have a sample of it on my Kindle--but I need to wait until I can set aside large blocks of time as this is the type of book that I will keep me up reading until 4AM.

I would say Pillars is one of my top 5 fiction books.

Just finished "Ready Player One". A sci-fi action read that takes in near future. An eccentric multibillioaire who invented a virtual reality immersion program has passed. He grew uo in the 1980's and was obsessed with 80's culture.

He will leave his entire fortune to anyone who can solve / beat his game that revolves around 80's culture. The world is also ravaged be an energy crisis and most of population lives in poverty and escapes reality by plugging into the impressive VR world.

Very fun read for anyone who grew up in the 80's. Movie is scheduled for next year. I devoured the book in less than a week. Enjoy.

Just finished "Ready Player One". A sci-fi action read that takes in near future. An eccentric multibillioaire who invented a virtual reality immersion program has passed. He grew uo in the 1980's and was obsessed with 80's culture.

He will leave his entire fortune to anyone who can solve / beat his game that revolves around 80's culture. The world is also ravaged be an energy crisis and most of population lives in poverty and escapes reality by plugging into the impressive VR world.

Very fun read for anyone who grew up in the 80's. Movie is scheduled for next year. I devoured the book in less than a week. Enjoy.

Read "Armada" by the same author. Very enjoyable as well, same 80s/90s nostalgia.

I'm currently reading "The Final Day". This is the 3rd and final book in the "One Second After" trilogy.

I read the first two books and really enjoyed them, though quite sobering....

I just finished "The Final Day" and it is a satisfying conclusion to this potentially very real dystopian scenario.

AVB-AMG

Just finished "Guns Across the Border" by Mike Detty (https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Across-Border-Government-Smuggled/dp/1620875993)

Really eye-opening account of an AZ FFL who had some suspicious customers (buying 10 or 20 lowers at a time and wanting more, and multiple buyers that were obviously working together).  He reported the sales to ATF and was recruited as a CI into what became "Fast & Furious."  Which he claims he knew nothing about--ATF told him to sell and that they were tracking the guns and working with Mexican authorities to take down the cartels.  When in reality it was a ploy toward increasing gun control and to try to reinstate AWB.

Eye opening.