Little Red Rooster

Single Action Revolver - What's your pick?

I have been looking to get a revolver over the last few weeks (only own semi autos now). I have shot and enjoyed them before and am looking for a little variation from the semi auto world.

I have a P2P ready to go. I looked at some S&W (the 686 was often suggested) revolvers and some of them were interesting, but nothing really jumping out at me.

I'm big into history (the main reason my last purchase had to be a 1911), so something that IS really jumping out at me is the Single Action Army revolver. I am unable to afford an authentic Colt SAA, but I absolutely love the look. The history and reputation of it say enough that I don't need to go into why it's very appealing.

My budget ceiling is about $700. I think I want one in .357 and the 5.5" barrel, however I'm not dead set on that. I really like the look of the Ruger Vaquero and have looked online at some of the Uberti Cattleman 1873 revolvers.

1) Any SAA owners have any advice? Anyone own the Ruger or Uberti models have advice, suggestions?

2) Other brands that I may have overlooked that are in my proce range?

3) I live in Hoboken, but frequent Morris & Somerset counties - are there specific gun shops that have good collections of SAA revolvers?

Thanks - I appreciate any advice or feedback.

Single action is nice, although I think the SA triggers are usually nicer in SA/DA revolvers.. I have a problem with that standard rounded grip on the standard SA revolver. I have gorilla hands and find the edge cuts into the palm of my hand when shooting anything other than cowboy loads. If you have hands on the larger side (or even if you don't) check out the Ruger Bisley SA revolver line. It has a straighter grip that is much more comfortable to shoot, especially stout loads in 44mag and up, etc

Aside from a Ruger Single Six, I have but one single action revolver. A 4 5/8" Ruger Flat Top Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Special. Great gun in a great caliber.

dpu9ll.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If I was gonna go single action, I'd be going old west style. Colt .45 7.5" Peacemaker.... Leading toward cheaper side, Ruger Vaquero... Cowboy at heart :)

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I have a Ruger in .30 Carbine. While the round is fun (rifle round out of a short barrel), it makes a big boom, big flash, not a lot of kick (less than a .357 Magnum), I really don't like the gun. I am not into opening a loading gate to insert one round at a time, then remove one round at a time, and I really don't like the shape of the grip.

So, actually go hold some in your hand, work the action, see what they are like to load/unload, and then decide.

I bought the Ruger brand-new, it is pretty much useless for most anything, but it is fun to shoot indoors! :)

I bought the Ruger brand-new, it is pretty much useless for most anything

Totally wrong. Chambered in an inexpenive and proven round which can be used for almost anything.

Currently have two single action pistols.

Uberti Cattleman Stainless with 5 1/2" bbl in Colt 45. Only paid $399 but that was back in 06. Comfortable, easy

shooting pistol. If you go with Colt 45's, strongly suggest you start re-loading.

Cimmaron Richards-Mason Navy Colt in 38 spcl. (Made by Uberti for Cimmaron). The Quality is excellent..Great

pistol and easy on the budget to shoot. Think I paid about $450 in 07.

If you get a chance, get or view a Cimmaron catalog. As you say that you are big

into history, guarantee that you will fall in love.

Good luck.

Everybody seems to really enjoy my BFR in .500 S&W. I have some 700 gr. bullets loaded it for it. Could probably use a mag-na-port. I've seen some people almost plant it in their faces. I paid around $675 for mine with .50 rounds of ammo or so about four years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWPaIrEsGD0

Once you have the revolver, you have an excuse to get a Bighorn Armory Model 89 rifle or carbine length levergun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k0LHLUKi9c

If you're more budget-minded, you could get a single shot Handi Rifle in .500 S&W for under $320. (Turn down the volume on this one, the wind is out of control.)

Howz the balance on that?

I just got a Ruger New Vaquero Convertible... with cylinders in .45 Colt and .45 ACP.

Really happy with it, and gives me the ability to shoot different rounds out of the same gun.

null-2.jpg

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Been wanting one of those. way cool

Davidson's had about 30 of them, when I ordered the Wednesday before the Newtown shooting. Afterwards, both barrel lengths were sold out. Happy I got the 5.5 inch version.

Howz the balance on that?

It is just like a comparable Colt SAA. I'm probably not going into any competitive shooting with it, but it is a very solid and comfortable gun.