NJCK

NJ Bill S2430 – WE NEED ACTION NOW TILL THE VOTE!!!

I attended the Senate Law and Public Safety Committee session for NJ Bill S2430 this morning in the State House Annex. For those of you who are not aware of the content of this Bill, it can be found here:

http://www.njleg.sta...500/2430_I1.HTM

This Bill is submitted under a notion of focusing on mental health in an attempt to veil this:

“Although New Jersey has strict gun control laws, these laws are easily circumvented because of the lack of similar federal laws. In order to provide more safety for New Jersey residents, the federal government must reinstate its ban on assault weapons which expired on September 13, 1994 and must expand background check requirements for gun purchases to include all sales and transfers”

BLANKET ACCEPTANCE of anything the Federal government enacts for gun control!

Now, the Committee postponed a vote on the Bill today and only took testimony, both for and against the Bill. I believe this was, in part, due to flooding the legislature with calls and faxes last week! Based on my observations during testimony, I can tell you body language and comments and questioning from the Committee members shows there is already a bias towards gun control (no surprise). It was also clear that the Committee is uneducated about firearms. Further, the supporters for the Bill were present in mass numbers – about every civic coalition, organization, and group you can think of; a couple of mayors (Roselle and Plainfield), a city councilman…. Senator Lesniak stacked the room well. Sure, some of the Bill supporters went on record saying it’s not about the guns, but their whispers before the testimony began were very different I will say in absolution.

The problem with this Bill is the way it is dangerously, and probably very purposefully written, to have broad-sweeping gun control, yet is being “marketed” as a Bill that creates the Governor’s Study Commission on Violence for which mental health is a key driver. Fact of the matter, the way this Bill is written is that there will be no study of real facts, figures, expert testimony, or any form of hard, tangible evidence regarding the effects of gun control on violence. There would be no point for the Study Commission to address that aspect because passing of this Bill would be blanket adoption of whatever the Federal government enacts against gun rights! This is not what New Jersey firearms enthusiasts want, and this is not the message Governor Christie delivered in his speech on January 17th. This is a CONTRIVED BASTARDIZATION trying to be ramrodded through the legislature!!!

Because this was not voted today, there is time for each and every one of you to make your position known to the legislature! Please contact EVERYONE I list below and tell them 1) you oppose the gun control element of Bill S2430; 2) that you wish for them to vote against this Bill as it is currently written; and, 3) you want, as constituents of this State, any Study Commission on Violence to include due representation from New Jersey firearms enthusiasts. Please email, write, fax, and call the following legislature members:

The entire Law and Public Safety Committee (these are those who will vote the Bill!):

Senator Donald Norcross: http://www.njleg.sta...BIO.asp?Leg=324

Senator Linda R. Greenstein: http://www.njleg.sta...BIO.asp?Leg=329

Senator Christopher Bateman: http://www.njleg.sta...BIO.asp?Leg=304

Senator James W. Holzapfel: http://www.njleg.sta...BIO.asp?Leg=334

Senator Nicholas J. Sacco: http://www.njleg.sta...BIO.asp?Leg=140

The Bill Sponsors:

Senator Raymond J. Lesniak: http://www.njleg.sta.../BIO.asp?Leg=61

Senator Shirley K. Turner: http://www.njleg.sta.../BIO.asp?Leg=47

Senator Jim Whelan: http://www.njleg.sta...BIO.asp?Leg=301

Senator Sandra B. Cunningham: http://www.njleg.sta...BIO.asp?Leg=290

Senator Joseph F. Vitale: http://www.njleg.sta...BIO.asp?Leg=175

Now let’s get down to some brass tacks here everyone… There were about a dozen of us present in opposition of the Bill. A dozen. We were outnumbered about 2.5:1 in testimony. I absolutely salute and applaud Frank Jack Fiamingo and the NJ2AS for being there, for speaking, for representing the interests of New Jersey firearms enthusiasts, for fighting the cause… But I’m going to be straight here, as any real Jersey boy is, IT IS NOT ENOUGH! Why? Because not only must you battle the issue, you must battle the stigma placed upon groups like the NJ2AS. It, frankly, dilutes their effectiveness because of this State's historic position on firearms. Do you want to know who the Committee listened to from those that opposed the Bill on the basis of gun control? THE AVERAGE JOE! It was testimony given by CITIZENS that the Committee took most interest in. Paying sufficient attention to what was being said to then ask follow up questions! Don’t let me simply synopsize this, listen to the entire proceedings yourself here:

http://www.njleg.sta...030AM-M0-1.wma!

Of course you must wait into about two-thirds in before opposing testimony. A warning to Veterans, you may be offended by Senator’s Lesniak’s position citing his service in the US Army. Others, you will likely be as offended as I was that the Senator could be there long enough to make sure to hear all his supporters, but then left before those of us against the gun control element finished testimony.

Nevertheless, the salient point is that CITIZENS got their attention. We need more New Jersey CITIZENS who are also members of the firearms enthusiast community of this State to attend these sessions and give testimony – i.e., share your thoughts and feelings, deliver the counter message! A dozen is not enough when they come by the bus load from the opposite side. Many of you will proclaim it’s not possible because of work, but I work too and took vacation time in order to attend and I’m certainly not local to Trenton... This is an important issue to me. Is it not to you, my fellow New Jersey firearms enthusiasts???

Please contact the above list of legislature members every day until the Bill is voted on, and if you can, please come help resist the passing of the 23 gun control Bills in-person at the legislative sessions!

In my ignorance, I didn't realize that they essentially have an "open mike" for citizen comment. What would be incredibly helpful would be a stick or other post here wil an alert about each upcoming hearing where ordinary citizens can give testimony. If you are following this would it be too much trouble to do that? Your involvement is much appreciated.

As far as packing a room in Trenton, we're already planning on a rally on February 8th and now, as responsible Americans, you want us to give up another day of pay, to go and be shills for these fools who call themselves representatives who ALREADY HAVE THEIR MINDS MADE UP?

Yes, it's a defeatist attitude, but really, your report is EXACTLY what I expected to hear.

I questioned an FFL in Freehold today if he had heard about the rally and whether he was going and his response (his, not mine) simply was "They already have their minds made up. What will any kind of rally really do."

I have to say that this is sad, defeatist, etc, but it's what I expect our "representatives" to do, precisely. I'm not sitting here wringing my hands saying all is lost, but I'm certainly not very hopeful at all either.

As far as packing a room in Trenton, we're already planning on a rally on February 8th and now, as responsible Americans, you want us to give up another day of pay, to go and be shills for these fools who call themselves representatives who ALREADY HAVE THEIR MINDS MADE UP?

Yes, it's a defeatist attitude, but really, your report is EXACTLY what I expected to hear.

I questioned an FFL in Freehold today if he had heard about the rally and whether he was going and his response (his, not mine) simply was "They already have their minds made up. What will any kind of rally really do."

I have to say that this is sad, defeatist, etc, but it's what I expect our "representatives" to do, precisely. I'm not sitting here wringing my hands saying all is lost, but I'm certainly not very hopeful at all either.

And that very position is what has allowed government to run the course it has. It is no longer by the people, for the people. Still as of this moment in the USA, everyone has the right to make their own choice. I've chosen mine - to do everything within my power to fight for what I believe in, and I will be able to live with that regardless of what happens. My father, a Marine gunny and blue collar guy installed a very simple fundamental in me - put up or shut up. I chose to put up.

Nonetheless, I have to be honest, such an argument personally blows me away because the antis have no problem coming in droves to flex influential muscle, taking off work, making alternate arrangements. Can you imagine the power if we could form the same level of solidarity in firearms owners?

In my ignorance, I didn't realize that they essentially have an "open mike" for citizen comment. What would be incredibly helpful would be a stick or other post here wil an alert about each upcoming hearing where ordinary citizens can give testimony. If you are following this would it be too much trouble to do that? Your involvement is much appreciated.

Even single citizen has the right to speak before his or her legislature. For eveyone's knowledge, every single one of the 23 NJ Bills coming up related to gun control can have testimony! I will try to post, as is the NJ2AS when these Bills are coming up. The compounding difficulty is that they are effectively being shoe-horned into this legislative session given the event that spurned them. So the notice for hearings is VERY short.

Ten more letters out the door.

you want us to give up another day of pay, to go and be shills for these fools who call themselves representatives who ALREADY HAVE THEIR MINDS MADE UP?

Yep... I think that is exactly what the man is saying. Their minds are not made up... And I know for a fact that at the federal level, the rank and file Dems are not #$@!% happy right now. Many feel that this is 1994 all over again when the Repub. used gun control and the failed universal health care bills to take 50+ seats from the Dems. They all feel that 2014 could be a clean sweep for the Republicans if they go along with Feinstein etc etc.

Dont let them breathe. Pound them...

Djg, i am going to call you out on this. I dont know your circumstances, dont know anything about you, all I know is you have been a big contributor on this board. If you have the time to post over 7K times on this forum, you have the time to write some letters or spend some time at more then just the rally. It is very NJ of you and that FFL to state "they have their minds made up!" and give up. That is exactly the mentality NJ politicians want in their constituents, servile. See they have you so well trained that something you care so much about (7k posts in a few years) your ready to just give up because you have been trained that the government doesn't listen, they are just going to do what they want to do. Well you could not be further from the truth, because pols like power and without their positions they got no power. Let them know they will lose their positions if they vote for these bills.

So go ahead, throw your hands up and do nothing, that way you can state that you knew it all along, it was a done deal. Or you can take your shot at something.

...the antis have no problem coming in droves to flex influential muscle, taking off work, making alternate arrangements.

You are assuming the anti's have jobs.....most of the anti's I know that are "activists" live off our taxes...

Where was ANJRPC?

Not present.

Yet another reason why I won't renew my membership. I know Ant rants and raves on his radio program about joining them, but I'd rather take my yearly ANJRPC dues and give them as a donation to NJ2AS.

Djg, i am going to call you out on this. I dont know your circumstances, dont know anything about you, all I know is you have been a big contributor on this board. If you have the time to post over 7K times on this forum, you have the time to write some letters or spend some time at more then just the rally.

Just because YOU don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't happen. So, by your example, I can assume that you axeman were one of the 12 at the meeting today?

I'm going to try and send letters to all these legislators, for every one of these bills, and do all my calls and emails tomorrow.

I tend to be defeatist too, but better to have been defeated going down fighting than just laying back and accepting it.

It may not be feasible to visit the State house but it takes barely any effort to call these reps. Let them know that you are a registered voter and that you are opposed to this Bill.

As far as establishing a "commission" and creating another bureaucracy, we already have a "commission", two in-fact: the state Senate and General Assembly...

there are more dems than republicans in nj legislature. dont know the breakdown but i know they have control. Guys does anyone know about the rally in 1990 i think it was? before the first awb? i heard there was 10k people against any awb. and it still passed. Supposedly packing the house for these kind of meetings is more effective than a rally. With a rally we can have 10k show up again and they will say it was only 5k. the media will portray it the way they want. We may be better packing the house for these events than rallys.

Emailed them this evening, and going to place some phone calls in the morning. Please everyone do the same. Unlike our neighbors to the North, at the very least we have been given a stay of execution, let's not squander it.

Right now, the NYSRPA, SAFE, WCFOA, and ar15.com have filed suit to fight the law in NY. I don't believe we here in NJ will be able to put up as monumental an effort, should anything pass. The time is now!