dman2112

Current CCW Turn Around Times From My Experience

Anyone applied for VA recently? How long?

I emailed them for an application packet yesterday, typically how long do they take to send it out?

I received my packet within a week of my email requesting it. I sent my completed application in on Jan 5th, and received a written receipt a week or so later dated Jan 10th that said it would take 12 weeks from that date.

VA will take 14 to 16 weeks

I did my FL, Utah, and VA in one class with Personal Defense Solutions just over the border in PA. Cheapest I could find, and one stop shopping. Once I had Utah and FL (still waiting for VA, but they said it was processed and just waiting to me mailed out.) I applied for non-resident NH and Arizona just for the hell of it. I'm going to keep going until I can't anymore.

dman2112

Good to know. My Florida permit is useless now that the PA Attorney General changed her interpretation of the law with the stroke of a pen. I may go for Utah.

We got a few months left on it If I remember correctly.

We got a few months left on it If I remember correctly.

Yeah we do but Florida already updated their site.

Utah may be the way to go but you need the Utah specific training and that's extra $$.

Does NH require three references?

My strategy is FL, VA, UT, CT. I may get NH and AZ. I may get NV if I go to Vegas more often for trade shows and the like but AZ should cover that.

The states I care about carrying the most in are PA, OH, FL, VA, WV, CT (and possibly NV and AZ).

Yeah we do but Florida already updated their site.

Utah may be the way to go but you need the Utah specific training and that's extra $$.

Does NH require three references?

My strategy is FL, VA, UT, CT. I may get NH and AZ. I may get NV if I go to Vegas more often for trade shows and the like but AZ should cover that.

The states I care about carrying the most in are PA, OH, FL, VA, WV, CT (and possibly NV and AZ).

Az doesn't cover nv anymore

My NJ restricted "carry" permit took less than 2.5 months which was hyper-fast.

My FL CCW took 2 months because of minor screwup.

My NH CCW took approx 6 months, went in at $20 before they raise price, got pushed to back of line is my guess.

My next CCW (very soon) will be the out-of-state PA permit, allowable due to my new NJ resident "permit", I believe even with restrictions. All PA wants to see is your home CCW permit of some kind.

No questions please, just putting info out there.

VA will take 14 to 16 weeks I did my FL, Utah, and VA in one class with Personal Defense Solutions just over the border in PA. Cheapest I could find, and one stop shopping. Once I had Utah and FL (still waiting for VA, but they said it was processed and just waiting to me mailed out.) I applied for non-resident NH and Arizona just for the hell of it. I'm going to keep going until I can't anymore. dman2112
I am planning on going the end of this month to them. Does it make sense to do the FL/VA if I plan to take the UT class? What are the main differences in the training? I tried to contact them but never get an answer it is always voice mail, and they never respond to my emails. What does NH and AZ require? Just copies of your UT permit? Thanks for any info.

I am planning on going the end of this month to them. Does it make sense to do the FL/VA if I plan to take the UT class? What are the main differences in the training? I tried to contact them but never get an answer it is always voice mail, and they never respond to my emails. What does NH and AZ require? Just copies of your UT permit? Thanks for any info.

Doesn't make sense to do FL unless you're going to FL.

UT requires training from a UT certified instructor. 4 hours classroom training.

VA accepts NRA courses, DD-214 or hunters ed.

:yahoo:

It depends on where you want to CCW. If your desire is PA, then FL will no longer get you PA. You would need a CCW non-resident permit from one of these states (assuming they offer non-resident permits)... AK, AR, AZ, CO, FL8, GA, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME10, MI, NH, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WI, WV, WY (FL8 - FL resident Permit only. PA10 Only Honors Maine Resident Permit) to CCW in PA

NH and VA via a recriprocity agreement gets you PA for now. UT via statutory recriprocity gets you PA. AZ requirements --> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Arizona+CCW

Utah requires a class by an approved UT instructor and the content is on UT laws. GFH gives you a CD with the UT laws on it at the end of their class. AZ will accept NRA classes, NJ Hunter Education classes and others listed in paragraph N here... http://www.azdps.gov...?l=13/03112.htm

NH requires a copy of your CCW permit from another state. Turnaround time is running 30 days or so. It is quick if you need to CCW in PA while waiting for other permits.

You can create a personal CCW map for your State licenses/permits here --> http://www.handgunla...eAMapNotice.pdf

I want to CCW in PA, but want to maximize the permits if I am making the time to get them.

So it would make sense to take the UT class first due to it having the strictest class requirement? Is the class for the UT permit usable for the VA permit? I just dont want to spend a bunch of money on classes that wouldnt be necessary.

AZ says:

E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

So this should mean that the UT permit would be acceptable for AZ, because it requires a training class?

I want to CCW in PA, but want to maximize the permits if I am making the time to get them. So it would make sense to take the UT class first due to it having the strictest class requirement? Is the class for the UT permit usable for the VA permit? I just dont want to spend a bunch of money on classes that wouldnt be necessary. AZ says: E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions: 6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means: (d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section. N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following: 6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance. So this should mean that the UT permit would be acceptable for AZ, because it requires a training class?

It makes sense to take the UT class and use that CCW permit to get AZ and NH, however, you are not demonstrating competence with the UT class. You are being briefed on UT law. You should take the NRA First Steps Pistol class and use that for States that require you have an NRA or other program that demonstrates competence and safety with the firearm. CT, for example, will not accept the 4 hour NRA First Steps Class. They require the 8 hour NRA Basic Pistol Class as a minimum. CT also requires that you have a CCW permit from another state and you are asked this before they will send you the application.

:russian:

It makes sense to take the UT class and use that CCW permit to get AZ and NH, however, you are not demonstrating competence with the UT class. You are being briefed on UT law. You should take the NRA First Steps Pistol class and use that for States that require you have an NRA or other program that demonstrates competence and safety with the firearm. CT, for example, will not accept the 4 hour NRA First Steps Class. They require the 8 hour NRA Basic Pistol Class as a minimum. CT also requires that you have a CCW permit from another state and you are asked this before they will send you the application. :russian:

Ok thanks for responding. So what is the purpose of the UT class then? This is exactly why I wish Personal Defense Solutions would answer the phones, the website they have is not very clear at all. But I guess that is why it is tailored to a particular state's ccw, and not a general class.

I'm just trying to not waste money on unnecessary classes that are not helpful in obtaining other CCWs in the future.

Ok thanks for responding. So what is the purpose of the UT class then? This is exactly why I wish Personal Defense Solutions would answer the phones, the website they have is not very clear at all. But I guess that is why it is tailored to a particular state's ccw, and not a general class.

I'm just trying to not waste money on unnecessary classes that are not helpful in obtaining other CCWs in the future.

A significant portion of the course addresses essential Utah gun laws that apply to a Utah concealed firearm permit holder. This includes the laws that apply in a self-defense shooting as well as carrying the firearm on a day to day basis. Self-defense situations and scenarios are covered so each student has a better understanding of when they should and should not use their firearm in self-defense.

The proper self-defense mind-set is also taught to assist students in avoiding confrontations that may result in the use of their firearm for self-defense. All students leave the course with the knowledge they need to feel comfortable carrying a firearm on a daily basis to all the places they normally travel. The course allows ample time for questions to be asked so each student comes away with their individual concerns regarding concealed carry and use of deadly force addressed.

Once you have successfully completed the class and have the instructor’s stamp of approval, you will have up to 12 months to submit the packet to the BCI along with their paperwork from the class for the permit application process. The BCI will conduct a background check for the applicant and if the applicant passes, it can take up to 60 days to receive the permit.

GFH does all of the application preparation and fingerprints, photo, etc. and mails the completed packet for you to UT the morning after the class.

FL still provides vehicle carry in PA.  It does not provide CC outside of a vehicle.  It does not provide any carry outside of a vehicle in Philly.

But outside of Philly you can OC on foot and vehicle carry in PA with an FL license.  

If you decide you don't want to OC at some point during your visit for whatever reason, or you decide to do something in Philly, you can always just leave your gun in your car.