NJCK

Gov. Christie’s NJ SAFE Task Force Public Meeting - TUESDAY NIGHT

PLEASE COME OUT AND BE HEARD!

Tuesday, February 5 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Rutgers University-Camden

Rutgers Camden Campus Center

Multi-Purpose Room

326 Penn Street, Camden, NJ 08102

Parking available in Lots 13 & 14 (parking is free until lots are full)

Read more at Ammoland.com: http://www.ammoland.com/2013/02/nj-governor-christie-announces-public-meetings-for-the-nj-safe-task-force/#ixzz2JzqfiiuQ

Myself and several other forum members will be in attendance. Firearms enthusiasts are needed in numbers at these public meetings to show that we will fight for our gun rights in New Jersey! Please come out so we can at least match numbers with the antis in attendance! The Campus Center is only one block from the City Hall Station making for easy access by train too.

For those who cannot attend any of the public meetings, please email your thoughts on gun control to [email protected].

Ocean, monmouth, and somerset are the three republican voting counties in nj, really stinks when these government get togethers are held in the traditional urban decay democrat strongholds like trenton, newark, camden, etc. Not to mention Rutgers, wonder which way higher learning institute community will be leaning. Make sure to ask them what they are offering you along with all their proposals to take away from you.

Ocean, monmouth, and somerset are the three republican voting counties in nj, really stinks when these government get togethers are held in the traditional urban decay democrat strongholds like trenton, newark, camden, etc. Not to mention Rutgers, wonder which way higher learning institute community will be leaning. Make sure to ask them what they are offering you along with all their proposals to take away from you.

It demonstrates the political corruptness and bias in this state. Our state along with NY is truly an embarrassment to the rest of the country.

It demonstrates the political corruptness and bias in this state. Our state along with NY is truly an embarrassment to the rest of the country.

Well, it could also be that it's the three easiest places to get too. Trains and buses service Camden and Newark. Brookdale College... not so much but if you live down the shore you probably have a car to get to the hearing.

If they held a meeting in Sussex county, everybody would be complaining that "He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures. "

It's a hearing. I'll go, dip my toe, and report back.

This is a hearing. People from Camden and Newark who don't own cars have a right to speak their mind as well.

I will be at the hearing on Newark in Thursday night. I plan on emphasizing the fact that while I fully support measures to improve public safety, none of the proposed legislation will do that AND we need to consider the right and responsibility of each individual for his PERSONAL safety as well. NJ gun laws already significantly impede the exercise of that right and responsibility, and we certainly don't need more restrictions.

I will point out that we in fact have a concealed carry permit law in this state that could and should enable law abiding citizens to provide for their personal safety while ALSO enhancing public safety. It is just that the law as applied only affords a privileged few to obtain a permit. That can and should be changed by adminsitrative action by having the Governor and Attorney General amend the NJ administrative code and issue a directive to police chiefs and judges that self-defense outside the home constitutes "justifiable need" under the statute. That would in fact open up carry permits to those who could pass the background checks and training and qualification requirements.

After the laughter dies down I will then conclude by saying that, if the commitee won't recommend rationalizing the existing law, at the very least, this committee and the legislature must reject the proposed new legislation in light of its costs, which no one seems to have considered. I will use the proposed magazine capacity restrictions as examples, and list the ways in which these laws will harm law abiding citizens (turning us into instant felons, effectively resulting in economic loss b/c hundreds of thousands of magazines would need to be turned in or destroyed, mag capacity restriction would be a de facto gun ban, etc) with no --zero -- empirical evidence being offered that the changes will improve public safety by one iota. I will finally remind the committee that the 2A is not about "duck hunting" as Senator Gordon has suggested -- it is, whether they like it or not, about the fundamental human right of self defense.

I will be at the hearing on Newark in Thursday night. I plan on emphasizing the fact that while I fully support measures to improve public safety, none of the proposed legislation will do that AND we need to consider the right and responsibility of each individual for his PERSONAL safety as well. NJ gun laws already significantly impede the exercise of that right and responsibility, and we certainly don't need more restrictions.

I will point out that we in fact have a concealed carry permit law in this state that could and should enable law abiding citizens to provide for their personal safety while ALSO enhancing public safety. It is just that the law as applied only affords a privileged few to obtain a permit. That can and should be changed by adminsitrative action by having the Governor and Attorney General amend the NJ administrative code and issue a directive to police chiefs and judges that self-defense outside the home constitutes "justifiable need" under the statute. That would in fact open up carry permits to those who could pass the background checks and training and qualification requirements.

After the laughter dies down I will then conclude by saying that, if the commitee won't recommend rationalizing the existing law, at the very least, this committee and the legislature must reject the proposed new legislation in light of its costs, which no one seems to have considered. I will use the proposed magazine capacity restrictions as examples, and list the ways in which these laws will harm law abiding citizens (turning us into instant felons, effectively resulting in economic loss b/c hundreds of thousands of magazines would need to be turned in or destroyed, mag capacity restriction would be a de facto gun ban, etc) with no --zero -- empirical evidence being offered that the changes will improve public safety by one iota. I will finally remind the committee that the 2A is not about "duck hunting" as Senator Gordon has suggested -- it is, whether they like it or not, about the fundamental human right of self defense.

And do not for get to mention to protect the people from a tyrannical Government

Here is the meeting info for Wed 2/6 in Monmouth:

Dear Mr. D,

Thank you for your recent email regarding gun rights. I understand your concerns.

A comprehensive look is needed at our society to see why such tragic incidents like the Newtown shooting occur. That includes a look at mental health and violent video games and movies. I agree we can also improve the quality of background checks.

Governor Christie just announced the creation of the NJ SAFE Task Force. The panel is made up of a cross section of the community, including James Romer from Monmouth Medical Center. He has 30 years experience in the mental health field. The Task Force will hold a public hearing in Monmouth County on February 6, from 3 p.m. - 5 p.m., at Brookdale Community College in Lincroft. Perhaps you would like to attend if your schedule permits.

The Task Force has 60 days to report back to the Governor and I anxiously await its findings. Once again, thank you for reaching out to me with your concerns.

Very Truly Yours,

Assemblywoman Caroline Casagrande

11th Legislative District

Quick brief about the Camden meeting, but first I want to encourage EVERYONE who can attend the next two to please do so!!!

The Camden meeting had FANTASTIC representation from NJ gun enthusiasts from EVERY walk of life, every flavor of shooter, all age groups, and men and women alike! Testimony is being limited time wise, so please have your thoughts gathered and DEFINITELY speak! We had well-prepared speakers, and then folks motivated to speak just after listening to others - it was GREAT! There was a stronger contingent of pro-gun rights than not at this meeting.

I would say for those here going to attend, try to sign up to speak a bit later so you can adjust maybe what you'll say based on hearing earlier testimony - that was working great last night!

Please I ask someone here to repeat my testimony last night, which in brief, stated that NJ has the second most stringent gun control laws in the US behind California, more importantly, the laws of NJ and California are far more stringent by an order of magnitude to the majority of the US. We do not need more gun control laws in NJ, and I ask that the Committe familiarize itself with not only NJ-specific gun laws, but how they frame with respect to the rest of the country. Law-abiding NJ gun owners do not wish to be criminalized with the stroke of the legislative pen based upon the lack of knowledge of our citizens and the legislature itself concerning the gun laws already enacted in this State. The State needs to deal with the criminals it has, not make more. We law-abiding, legal, responsible gun owners are not the problem, and for those who exert it is the responsibily of law inforcement to protect us, our Supreme Court ruled more than 150 years ago that it is not the duty of law enforcement to protect any particular individual, only a duty for the general enforcement of laws.

I ask this be repeated at each SAFE meeting because I can tell you factually that our politicians do not know the process for owning firearms in this State by large, and we all know the average citizen does not either. I saw this in action while in Trenton and again last night. The committee does not either, so I want them to be spurned into learning about them for realistic reporting!

FYI - Fully expect to see two individuals at EACH of the remaining SAFE meetings to repeat themselves - dark haired, well dressed, wire-rimmed glasses, middle aged fellow accompanied by an older gentlemen with white hair and beard who are STAUNCH antis that came prepared peddling the compiled Johns Hopkins research on gun violence (can we all guess where it's slanted and why) and they came prepared with the list of individuals that were legal NJ gun owners who committed gun violence acts over the last several years. They left out that the majority of those acts were crimes of passion and suicides to spin it how they desired. Unfortunately I did not catch their names/affiliations, but I am certain the dark-haired gentleman is tied to Johns Hopkins because I have seen him provide anti testimony before.

Does anyone know they exact number of "crimes of passion" and suicides recited in that survey so as to take 30 seconds and refute those stats?

Marry a girl from Cherry Hill and you'll never have to worry about committing a crime of passion... :p

Thanks Rob... trying to make the next meeting.

Does anyone know they exact number of "crimes of passion" and suicides recited in that survey so as to take 30 seconds and refute those stats?

Hope you get up there tonight! I unfortunately don't have the number because I couldn't catch all that he rattled off. I do know for fact that 3 of them in the list were. He justed wanted to drum the John Hopkins book, which je probably paid to have published himself for perfect timing...