NJ2AS News

NJ LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE PUSHES THROUGH ANTI FREEDOM BILLS DESPITE OVERWHELMING OPPOSITION

NJ LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE PUSHES THROUGH ANTI FREEDOM BILLS DESPITE OVERWHELMING OPPOSITION

By Rich Petkevis

NJ2AS Media Relations [email protected]

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013, the New Jersey Law and Public Safety Committee heard testimony on 24 anti freedom bills. Approximately 500 liberty minded people showed up to testify against these bills, however only about 200 actually made it into the State House. The other 300 were forced to stay outside during the hearings. Around a half dozen people were on hand to testify in favor of the proposed legislation.

The day started with Committee Chair ASM Charles Mainor declaring all bills would move out of committee and into the general assembly. This bold statement set the tone for the day. As the hearing got under way, it was evident that the chairman and the majority of the committee had no plans on listening to any of those who testified against the bills. The first two pieces of legislation were then hurried through, and only 5 people allowed to testify on each. It was brought to the attention of ASM Mainor that more than 5 people wanted to testify on these bills, and explained that people were told to write “testify on all” instead of individually listing each bill when registering for the day. ASM Mainor then offered to allow testimony after the committee voted on the bills, further insulting the majority of the crowd. The reaction of the crowd forced Mainor to allow people to testify on all the bills, then voting would happen at the end of the day.

Several members of the NJ2AS, ANJRPC, various Tea Party organizations, and other liberty minded citizens came up to testify. People were told there was a two minute time limit, however anyone who went up to speak in favor of the rights restricting legislation were pretty much allowed to talk as long as they wanted. Anyone testifying against the bills were held strictly to the two minute time limit. Toward the end of the day, a Navy Veteran stood up to testify, and called out ASM Mainor for not listening to her being he was having a sidebar conversation when she tried to speak. Mainor quickly shouted back at her, “I am going to conduct my meeting my way, your time is up” drawing much anger from the crowd.

It was a long day, and all of the bills left committee and are headed to the NJ general assembly for vote sometime next week. There was one bill that stood to protect the privacy of NJ firearms owners, A3788 which exempts firearms records from NJ’s open public records law.

NJ2AS urges all freedom loving, liberty minded citizens who oppose this legislation to call, email, and fax your assembly person and urge them to vote NO on these bills. A complete listing of all 43 bills introduced since January 1, 2013 can be found at the NJ2AS web site under the 2013 NJ Firearms Legislation Link.

Please visit www.nj2as.com and register for the free email updates so we can keep you informed with news about these bills and other issues involving the Second Amendment community in NJ.

We should write Mainor and let him know that although it was his meeting, it is OUR building and he works for us. Let him know we expect him to be courteous and respectful to our fellow citizens. Let him, and the rest of them know that we vote, and have lots of funds to backup our choices.

Sent him an email...

"Mr Mainor,

I am writing to you this morning to express my disgust and concern in regards to your behavior yesterday at the New Jersey Law and Public Safety Committee's hearing yesterday. At that hearing, a Navy veteran stood up to testify, and called you out for not listening to her while you were having a sidebar conversation when she tried to speak. You quickly shouted back at her, “I am going to conduct my meeting my way, your time is up”. You need to understand sir you were way out of line to begin with. That rude remark to a veteran who defended your right to hold the current position you hold was OUT OF LINE. This person put their lives on the line, show some respect. Secondly, you work for the citizens of this state, in our building, and hold your position through OUR votes. Finally, the way you conduct yourself and vote for these upcoming gun controls will directly impact on your future as a public official. New Jersey has some the strictest gun control laws in the country, as you are aware of the facts, restricting legal gun ownership has negative effects. Reflect over my email and reconsider how you behave in front of a public audience. You owe that veteran an apology for your rude remark. Have a great day."

Everyone can reach out to Mr Mainor through here..

http://capwiz.com/ala/nj/mail/?id=63051&lvl=L&chamber=H&type=ST

and here is my letter to Mr. Mainor

Subject: Hello from your replacement

Good morning Mr. Mainor.

I am reaching out to you today to formally introduce myself. My name is Anthony Mills. I was present and spoke, or more accurately, attempted to speak, at the committee meeting yesterday.

Like many Americans, I have had a negative/ambivalent attitude towards our government processes. Yesterday, seeing how you ran the meeting, the rudeness and contempt demonstrated by you and other committee members towards the 700+ individuals who showed up to be heard, ignited a fire in me.

I am your opponent for election this November. I will be bringing all my resources to bear in ousting you from the seat you hold. The way you ran that meeting, combined with the wrongheadedness of the "common sense" legislation that was rammed through to be submitted to the house, steeled my will and the will of many NJ Voters.

I look forward to election day and hearing your concession speech.

and here is my letter to Mr. Mainor

Subject: Hello from your replacement

Good morning Mr. Mainor.

I am reaching out to you today to formally introduce myself. My name is Anthony Mills. I was present and spoke, or more accurately, attempted to speak, at the committee meeting yesterday.

Like many Americans, I have had a negative/ambivalent attitude towards our government processes. Yesterday, seeing how you ran the meeting, the rudeness and contempt demonstrated by you and other committee members towards the 700+ individuals who showed up to be heard, ignited a fire in me.

I am your opponent for election this November. I will be bringing all my resources to bear in ousting you from the seat you hold. The way you ran that meeting, combined with the wrongheadedness of the "common sense" legislation that was rammed through to be submitted to the house, steeled my will and the will of many NJ Voters.

I look forward to election day and hearing your concession speech.

Amazing!!! How can I help? Shoot me a pm when u have time.

C

Thank you for sending that in. I sent an email too. Word needs to get to him that we wil not stand by and be disrespected and shut up.

NEW JERSEY STATE CONSTITUTION: ARTICLE I: RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES 1. All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain natural and unalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and of pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness.

You were extremely disrespetful throughout the committee meeting on 2/13/13. The turnout was a small percentage of NJ citizens who feel the same way. Word will definitely be spreading.

What is needed right now, is 100 signatures from district 31. Unfortunately, there is a Petition form that must be used, and it is only available for either Republican or Democrat. The Petition for Independents is not available yet. I applied for a meeting the the State early next week. Will see when they get back to me.

I sent Mainor this:

Sir

Roughly 300 Gun Rights supporters, myself included, and citizens of this State, lost the opportunity to go on record as being opposed to most of the Legislation that was heard yesterday.....we were stuck outside.

....there was simply not enough room in the building to contain us all....however I do feel that our opposition should be duly recorded, in order to facilitate future litigation of these measures.

We should have been able to at least fill out the forms outside the building.

I think you conducted "YOUR" hearing in a deliberately sloppy manner, screwing many people out of having their voices heard...and I am letting people know about it.

Mike Eaton R-23rd

Although I was not able to attend "your meeting" on proposed gun legislation, I did listen to it on the internet. It was readily apparent at the outset, that you had a closed mind on the subject despite some articulate views expressed by many citizens who attended the meeting.

I can appreciate the utter frustration of those ordinary citizens who attended and wished to express their opinions on so important a subject. The "hearing" was a sham and conducted in an inequitable and rude manner.

The following quotation pretty much sums up the inherent danger in what you are trying to accomplish by ramming through legislation that does not offer a realistic solution to the problems our society faces regarding violence in America. "Experience teaches us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent."

Louis D. Brandeis (Justice, United States Supreme Court)