RecessedFilter

Shotgun Shootout! March 9th at Clinton WMA

I handled yer gun yesterday and didn't experience any trouble with it. It needs a forceful stance to shoot the 2 3/4 dram light target loads is all. By that I mean to say that if "you lean into it" and NOT let the recoil knock you back (I'm 250 #, so no problemo) the gun will cycle. The Girls were having the most problems yesterday since they all lean backwards instead of forwards, causing the action to short-stroke. The remedies for this are: 1. Slick-up the moving parts with some sort of lubricant to reduce the metal-on-metal drag. I use WD-40 and a paper towel. 2. Clean the gun real well prior to shooting it, making sure to lube it well as noted previously. 3. Purchase a slightly less powerful spring from Brownells--their catalog is a wealth of info! 4. Use only (3) Dram loads that say 1200 FPS on the box. These will always cycle the action, even when the gun is dirty and you're going on a case of ammo shot!

I hope this helps. I'm offering this advice with no malice. I only want to see you enjoy your investment to it's fullest potential.

Great shooting with/alongside you.

Dave

10 ga. Black Powder Guy

Shootist

Not to argue with you because I know you have a lot more experience but EVERYONE who shot my 930 had atleast one problem with the herters shells which as of the cabelas website shoots a minimum of 1200fps

http://www.cabelas.com/product/1545677.uts?WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd

My first box of shells were gun clubs which had no problems for me I also am 6' 3" 210lbs and know how to hold and shoot a shotgun. it wasn't my first time shooting the gun which has functioned better in the past.

You are right it does need a solid cleaning and maybe just a couple more hundred round action job!

I've never shot the Herters shells, so we could both be right. It could be that Herters uses a slower-burning powder that doesn't "snap" the receiver back hard enough even though it's marked for 1200 FPS. There is also the possibility since the Herters are only a 1.0 oz. load that even though they go out the tube at 1200 FPS, a different company's shell you used may have had 1.125 oz. of lead. The difference in the quantity of lead sometimes makes a difference in the ability of a semi to cycle. And NOT just with your gun! A friend of mine needs 3.25 dram 1 1/8 oz. loads to cycle his since it's also set-up for MAGNUM shells.

So the short answer is "feed it what it likes" AND "keep the action slicked-up". Glad you had it runnin' good with Remington shells since they're usually always available in stores. Question: When you used the Herters did you notice a difference in the felt recoil? Sometimes that's also a tell-tale sign of imminent trouble to be...since I didn't have problems using Herters (or were they Federal or Winchester AA's since all three are red in color) in your gun with a function-fire triple from my weak side.

If you can shoot single ounce loads by other manufacturers it's probably the powder burn rate in the Herters shells. It all boils down to physics....and like I said yer not the first shooter affected by it!

Good shooting with you & continued success!

Dave

I just think those Herter's shells are not high-quality. They jammed in your gun Lowslow and they jammed in others guns (PBkid and I believe 1 other person, correct?).

Plus you've had your 930 now for a couple months and I'm pretty sure you had it there last month. So I think it's those Herter's shells, and maybe just give it a good cleaning and break it in some more (500rds). And it shoots other brands (Remington, Estate, etc) with no issues correct?

I just think those Herter's shells are not high-quality. They jammed in your gun Lowslow and they jammed in others guns (PBkid and I believe 1 other person, correct?).

Plus you've had your 930 now for a couple months and I'm pretty sure you had it there last month. So I think it's those Herter's shells, and maybe just give it a good cleaning and break it in some more (500rds). And it shoots other brands (Remington, Estate, etc) with no issues correct?

Yea I bought the case off pb he had bigger issues in his pump then I did. It definitely favors higher velocity shot but feeds gun clubs pretty well and I think federal a the best. It has about 500 rounds down it right now since I got it brand new. Next time ill lube it up and see how my hand loads perform

Stick with the Gun Club shells (if you can these days) since those are sought-after by reloaders cause they reload easy.

Some guys at Old Bridge reload shotshells, but most just throw them out. You might want to show-up at our Shotgun League some 1st or 3rd Sunday and scoop-up a case or more of fresh, clean emptys! We pay a Waste Disposal Co. to haul them away, so you can have 'em for FREE! We use a magnet on a stick to pick 'em up off the grass before anybody walks on 'em....

Like I mentioned, I too had the same extracting problems with my 930 using 2 3/4 Dram Fed #8 1145 FPS...funny thing is I've always used that type of load at previous shoots w/o any problems, same ammo too Federal pink shells are also 2 3/4 Dram 1145 FPS...this time they were a blue box w/red shells...I mentioned in another post with all the craziness going on and with more demand being put on these manufact's to keep up with ammo supply, does the quality control tend to slip a little bit? I'm wondering if I picked up a bad batch of Federal.

I haven't been exposed to any QC issues except for the occasional dud in a case of Gun Club.

Semi's that are gas operated need some TLC every once-in-a-while to keep their gas ports open so as to allow sufficient gas into the tube to actuate the bolt properly. My Son's Beretta got clogged ports, so after a while it wouldn't cycle. A good friend gave it a once-over with Brownell's Shotgun Wad Cleaner Gel on some pipe cleaners and it cycles like a charm with low-brass from every brand!

Recoil-operated semi's tend to have less trouble cycling since they don't have such issues as clogged gas ports.

Another issue with new guns is whether or not they were properly cleaned before they were shot for the first time. You have NO IDEA how many times folks show-up to the Range with a brand-new gun still in-the-box that's still packed with shipping grease oozin' out of it, lol!

Dave

Welp...I recon I found out why two meets ago the 930 would cycle the shells fine and this previous meet I was having issues...The gas piston was beyond dirty...

Before:

20130315_185213_zps4811edf7.jpg

After

20130315_194924_zpsfff482ab.jpg

Goin to Easton tomorrow to test er with the same ammo.