Jon

A3659: Bans .50 cal weapons

I did alot of reading on the .416 Barret has come out with a few years ago. Apparently it is a superior round to their .50bmg. It'll stay super sonic much longer, more accurate and jersey legal. They even CNC the 416 bullet and uses the .50bmg casing modified to fit the 416.

So while it still sucks for people who have a AE500, those who want a Barret can still get the 416 and actually have a better round. I read there's a promo code for 200 free 416 rounds($1000 value) if you buy a Barret rifle in .415. I don't know if the promo is still good but what a deal.

From what I could determine at the Senate hearings on Thursday, it seeme they were looking to ban the Barrett .50 BMG, not anything else in .50 caliber. It appears to be some sort of sacrificial offering to the antis, since it appears to be giving them something big, while affecting very few of us. That's the only explanation I can think of for why they are so hot for this particular ban.

hmm, so what impact would this have on my gun?

I have a platinum chrome desert eagle mark XIX. It was bought in .44 config

however i have the barrel to convert it to .50 cal. The ability to swap the barrels was

the reason i went for the mark XIX instead of the cheaper mark VII.

If this law passes would it render my DE illegal due to having the ability to become a .50 cal or would

it just make it illegal to have the .50 cal barrel equipped in NJ?

Maybe someone mentioned it previously, but this everchanging definition of "destruction device" scares me. Before this, .50 was not classified as such. Now all of a sudden, it somehow falls under that definition? So whats to say a 7.62 doesnt fall under that definition as well? They are walking on a very slippery slope and we are in for it if stuff like this keeps getting through. We all know thats happening with magzine capacity. (sidebar: when did 15 rounds become high capacity. 30-40 rounds is STANDARD for crying out loud!)

Its very unfortunate as i have been saving up for a desert eagle to get for my birthday, but, now all hope seems to be lost. Especially if the entire weapon wont be legal considering it can accept .50 chambering (so long .44). So this begs the question. Concerning all firearms (im pointing at you ar15), that have the capability to accept such calibres, what happens to them? I suppose it might negatively change the definition of the upper not being serialized whereas the lower is. The outcomes this could lead to are rather insane, and i hate thinking about all this because whats going on doesnt makes sense. These laws leave so many loopholes, its unclear what actually 'could' be banned.

TL;DR; Im very angry i wont be able to buy a beatiful desert eagle any longer. And no, i wont settle for the 44, its like saying id rather have the v6 mustang over the supercharged v8. whats the point. And i ranted a bit.

I suppose i should intro myself as its my first post. Im Mike. I read up a lot on here, and more frequently because of the unfortunate legislative changes happening in our state.

Maybe someone mentioned it previously, but this everchanging definition of "destruction device" scares me. Before this, .50 was not classified as such. Now all of a sudden, it somehow falls under that definition? So whats to say a 7.62 doesnt fall under that definition as well? They are walking on a very slippery slope and we are in for it if stuff like this keeps getting through.

It should scare you! It scares all of us. If they really wanted to, they could reclassify every firearm as a "destructive device" and then what do you know - the 2A doesn't apply anymore since they're not guns.

We all know thats happening with magzine capacity. (sidebar: when did 15 rounds become high capacity? 30-40 rounds is STANDARD for crying out loud!)

Exactly. They swore up and down that 15 would save lives and they'd never take anymore, but here they are --- after we all buy only 15-rounders, mutilate larger magazines by pinning them, etc. like the good citizens we are --- demanding more concessions.

Its very unfortunate as i have been saving up for a desert eagle to get for my birthday, but, now all hope seems to be lost. Especially if the entire weapon wont be legal considering it can accept .50 chambering (so long .44). So this begs the question. Concerning all firearms (im pointing at you ar15), that have the capability to accept such calibres, what happens to them? I suppose it might negatively change the definition of the upper not being serialized whereas the lower is. The outcomes this could lead to are rather insane, and i hate thinking about all this because whats going on doesnt makes sense. These laws leave so many loopholes, its unclear what actually 'could' be banned.

It wouldn't ban the .44 DE, just the conversion kit.

I don't see them serializing the uppers because of how freaking ignorant they are....do you think they can tell the difference between an upper and a high-capacity-shroud-bayonet? Didn't think so.

TL;DR; Im very angry i wont be able to buy a beatiful desert eagle any longer. And no, i wont settle for the 44, its like saying id rather have the v6 mustang over the supercharged v8. whats the point. And i ranted a bit.

If you don't want an underpowered DEagle, I hear you there. But .44 was good enough for Dirty Harry :)

I suppose i should intro myself as its my first post. Im Mike. I read up a lot on here, and more frequently because of the unfortunate legislative changes happening in our state.

Welcome to the forum! Get active, write your representatives, and bring friends to range...we're all in this legal battle together.

Destructive Device as in NFA? .50 cal is not a destructive device. And .50 cal is not NFA.

Destructive Device as recognized by NJ statute Title 2C:39-1 c :

c. "Destructive device" means any device, instrument or object designed to explode or produce uncontrolled combustion, including (1) any explosive or incendiary bomb, mine or grenade; (2) any rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces or any missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter of an ounce; (3) any weapon capable of firing a projectile of a caliber greater than 60 caliber, except a shotgun or shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes; (4) any Molotov cocktail or other device consisting of a breakable container containing flammable liquid and having a wick or similar device capable of being ignited. The term does not include any device manufactured for the purpose of illumination, distress signaling, line-throwing, safety or similar purposes.

(from http://law.onecle.co...stice/39-1.html )

They want to change "greater than 60 caliber" to "50 caliber or greater" in that section.

If I had a reliable friend in PA who would store your 50's for free, and you could shoot in his yard, would that be of interest to anyone if the need arises? Location is near the Poconos, about 20 miles north of where 78 crosses the river.

Just throwing that out there. Not too far away for N. Jersey folk.

Right before Christie signs it.

True.

Signing a Barrett .50 BMG ban should sink Christie's dreams of national office to the bottom of the Marianas Trench -- although I doubt it will. It probably unfolded from an afternoon coffee with Sweeney and "Well, we have to give them something!"

However, not doing anything at all is by far the best option.

Sad to see his underlying political philosophy demonstrated. I had hoped for more.

Otter: I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.

so my 50 cal arrived today. Going to do all the paperwork today or tomorrow but they are saying the NICS checks are 18-20 days behind. Does anyone know what would happen if this gets signed while my check is still pending?

It would be banned anyway so it doesn't matter.

Has anyone looked at the amended version of the A3659/S2178. If I'm understanding the update correctly, The bill will grandfather current owners if you register it and pay a $50 fee. if you do not register, you will have one year if the bill is signed into law. 

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/S2500/2178_R2.HTM