dslar

7.65x54 vs 7.65x53 in Argentinian Mauser

I picked up a 1909 Argentinian Mauser that included 200 rounds of ammunition. The ammunition included 3 boxes of PPU 7.62x53 Argentinian Mauser ammo and then a bunch of boxes of the surplus ammo from Argentina shown below. When I got home I realized that the surplus ammo was stamped 7.65x54. Are these safe to use in the Mauser?

image_zps5697ad77.jpg

so have you found out about the ammo? I am curious to know

I will start by saying I am by no means an expert and there does not seem to be a straight answer. From what I have read so far there are a couple things it could be. Argentinian surplus ammo is sometimes stamped 7.65x54 even though it may be 7.65x53. There seems to be a belief that the surplus ammo may have been 7.65x53.5 and they rounded up to 54. I've also seen that 7.65 Argentinian, 7.65x53 and 7.65x54 are all the same thing, nust different names.

At this point, I will hold off on shooting the 7.65x54 surplus until I get a straight forward answer. Many of the posts where I found info are dated, so no one actively watching them.