dbldune

NICS checks

Was speaking with a Federal Marshal today, he told me it is his understanding that the checks are being done through a 3rd party now. Can anyone confirm this? It seems that the government is too busy.

He also stated that when he does a NICS check on a person it is instantaneous.

Hope our personal info stays that way if the 3rd party thing is true.

the billing is 3rd party. The nics checks are stilll being done by the same folks that always did it... unless something changed past few days

ETA: the nics check is instant but the back log to get them entered is the problem

Only in nj lol

I think there are several threads on this already. NJ is a POC (Point of Contact) state. Dealers used to use a (900) number to call in, and were charged $15 for each call on their bill. As I understand it, the state did away with the 900 number and changed it to a toll free, without adequately notifying the dealers. This is the fuzzy part - not sure how we got from being able to phone in the NICS check to the current FAX system. Previously the fax system had been used during peak periods when it was tough to get through on the phone. Now it is the only system. The faxes go to a private company in FL that bundles the NICS requests - by what crteria I don't know. They are then forwarded to the NJSP - again, by what method I am not sure. The NJSP then do the actual NICS check, accessing the FBI NICS database and other NJ databases. If approved the dealer is then called and given the approval over the phone.

Makes no sense to me, but it may be a prelude to this FL company creating an e-check system, which would hopefully, again, put the "instant" in NICS. Timeline for this transition is unknown - hopefully not like the restoration of the Essex Cty mental health records :wild:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

From what I understand, the requirement to fax in NICS requests is done when the volume of requests overloads their ability to process them. Since Newtown, they have been overloaded without end, and therefore on fax only mode. I would imagine whenever they get caught up again, phoning the requests in will be an option again - so figure around the year 2059 or so.

Does anyone actually know who this FL company is??? Name, address???

And are their budget numbers public, such as operating costs and total revenue? Would be nice to know.

I think there are several threads on this already. NJ is a POC (Point of Contact) state. Dealers used to use a (900) number to call in, and were charged $15 for each call on their bill. As I understand it, the state did away with the 900 number and changed it to a toll free, without adequately notifying the dealers. This is the fuzzy part - not sure how we got from being able to phone in the NICS check to the current FAX system. Previously the fax system had been used during peak periods when it was tough to get through on the phone. Now it is the only system. The faxes go to a private company in FL that bundles the NICS requests - by what crteria I don't know. They are then forwarded to the NJSP - again, by what method I am not sure. The NJSP then do the actual NICS check, accessing the FBI NICS database and other NJ databases. If approved the dealer is then called and given the approval over the phone.

Makes no sense to me, but it may be a prelude to this FL company creating an e-check system, which would hopefully, again, put the "instant" in NICS. Timeline for this transition is unknown - hopefully not like the restoration of the Essex Cty mental health records :wild:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So now that they are not being charged for calling in the NICS check, does this reduce the NICS fee that we pay?

From what I was told yesterday the people at the state police that perform the NICS check wanted more help hired, that request was denied so in typical state worker fashion there are in a slow down

OK- so assuming there is a union or at least some sort of protection you can't fire anyone. But, if this were a real business simply look at the average # of nics that each employee does per day or week or month and tell them that for every one you execute over the average you recieve a bonus of X- could be $0.50 or $1 per, either way it would increase production and increase revenue...

From what I understand, the requirement to fax in NICS requests is done when the volume of requests overloads their ability to process them. Since Newtown, they have been overloaded without end, and therefore on fax only mode. I would imagine whenever they get caught up again, phoning the requests in will be an option again - so figure around the year 2059 or so.

If it's truly because of a deluge in purchases, then I'm happy to wait a week. It's more important to me to swell our ranks than for me to have an instant gun. Of course, that's assuming that when the run dies down, we go back to normal, which is by no means assured.

How is there such a backlog when theres nothing left to buy?!

Gun shops have nearly empty shelves.

Can't do nics checks when there isnt much to buy.

There's plenty left to buy. Online, at least. I've got an M1 Garand and a Mosin-Nagant M44 waiting on a check. AR's are even starting to reappear.

How is there such a backlog when theres nothing left to buy?!

Gun shops have nearly empty shelves.

Can't do nics checks when there isnt much to buy.

Not true. Inventory leaves as soon as it come in. No need to stock it. Not to mention tons of people are ordering stuff online to ffls for transfer.

So now that they are not being charged for calling in the NICS check, does this reduce the NICS fee that we pay?

FFL's are still being charged $15 via their credit card for every fax they send in.

Was speaking with a Federal Marshal today, he told me it is his understanding that the checks are being done through a 3rd party now. Can anyone confirm this? It seems that the government is too busy.

He also stated that when he does a NICS check on a person it is instantaneous.

Hope our personal info stays that way if the 3rd party thing is true.

The second letter in NICS means "instant"! There are no t enough gun stores in NJ to justify the delays! The state is doing this on purpose. When will people realize this!

I went down to lawman's supply today with permit in hand for my G30 Gen4. I was told 10 days for the NICS

They told me the same thing yesterday. I was a little surprised I thought the timeframe was down to 3-4 days.