dbldune

NICS checks

I too wonder if the state is doing this on purpose. It feels like they have created a defacto waiting period under the guise of "increased demand". ReloaderGuy is right, I don't see how there are enough gun shops/gun owners to justify the delays. We have one of the lowest gun ownership rates in the country, and a FID/permit system. How is it that states like Pennsylvania, a state with MUCH higher rate of firearm ownership than NJ, and where any non-prohibited person can walk into a gun shop and purchase a firearm in 15 minutes, have no such delays? I smell a rat.

I know from now on all of my long gun purchases will be in PA. These friggin delays are for the birds.

At my FFL as of today (3/21) the wait time average is 8 calendar days. A few a little longer and the occasional second re-fax follow up. This is one day longer than earlier this month which was 7 days (two weeks ago).

So now It's becoming a slippery slope of longer and longer delays. Its starting to seem like there is a campaign against gun owners in NJ ever since Sandy Hook. The new proposed legislation, the unexplained NICS delays, and I'm one of the lucky Essex county residents who has been waiting since before hurricane sandy for pistol permits. Either we have the worst luck ever, or the state is intentionally throwing every roadblock and hurdle possible in front of us gun owners.

Nics check delay of ~10 days. Fid checks ~68 days. Aside from prints (which being electronic checks are quick) what is different? Is the process that dramatically different? If not why do fids take so long? Same reason. Because it takes however long they say it takes. What are you gonna do about it? Don't tell me how to do my job. You'll get it when you get it. Thats the response I got from a local cleo.

Update: 6 calendar days and counting here. Waiting to pickup my new shotgun. (Paperwork was submitted to NICS at approx. noontime on Saturday 3/16.). I appreciate others sharing their experience. Helps me remain more patient than I would otherwise be. I certainly share the frustration many of you have expressed with the system and how we are being treated. If this were a corporation instead of the state, they would have a much greater sense of urgency doing whatever is required to address what is poor customer service and meet their SLAs(service levels).

My nics was faxed in on Thursday. I was told 7 days is the average wait time. I went to PA and bought a rifle last month, in and out in a 1/2 hr. This is ridiculous its practically April. I bought a rifle in January. 10 days for nics. 3 months later only slight improvement. What a joke.

Wow now its getting up to 14 days? This is outrageous. Im waiting on 2 pistol permits, i think id be lucky to be able to buy ONE pistol in 90 days at this rate. I hate having to feel like a second class citizen in this state just because i am a gun owner.

LGS shared with me today that average wait is 8 days. this is insane and establishes an additional waiting period after OGAM. what the antis do not understand is that treating gun owners like dirt does nothing except harden positions. I know that many might disagree with me but I think that if nj gave consideration to such things as ending OGAM, no more ridiculous permit delays and making this a shall issue ccw state many gun owners might be willing to sit down at the table to discuss how to respond to the violence in our country. show some respect to gun owners and they will respond in kind

I don't want to hurt local business, but if nj gun owners start buying all their long guns out of state to avoid this extra waiting period might that light a fire under the a- s of state assemblymen who don't want to see local business hurt?

NICS is 365 days a year, including holidays, including Easter.  From asking a few of you about this and reading the convoluted process in this thread, it is an NJ implementation thing, not a NICS thing.

Whatever it is, the problem is either inside NJ or with your contractor in Florida.  It's not with NICS, and it's not coming from the feds.

Are your FFLs actually selling that many more guns in the month of March?  I would figure they are selling less due to difficulty getting product.  But I am just speculating, maybe they are selling more and I am wrong.

How many more guns would they have to sell in a day to push NJ's background check system from 15 minutes to 2 weeks?  Are they selling 100 times as many guns per day as they were in 2012?  If the NJ background check pull isn't that massive, then there is a bottleneck somewhere.  Or we are being screwed.  It does seem a little odd in the absence of an explanation.

Imagine the uproar if something like this was going on with the NICS system in somewhere like Texas. I guess the problem is that we are at the mercy of the democratic regime in this state. They have no sympathy for our plight. On the contrary, they are probably gloating at the fact that it has become a nightmare trying to purchase a gun in this state.

LGS shared with me today that average wait is 8 days. this is insane and establishes an additional waiting period after OGAM. what the antis do not understand is that treating gun owners like dirt does nothing except harden positions. I know that many might disagree with me but I think that if nj gave consideration to such things as ending OGAM, no more ridiculous permit delays and making this a shall issue ccw state many gun owners might be willing to sit down at the table to discuss how to respond to the violence in our country. show some respect to gun owners and they will respond in kind

Exactly. I used to be a "reasonable" moderate. Now I'll never trust an anti again and will do everything within my ability to destroy their careers. Radicalizing one's enemies is just plain stupid, and there's going to be payback.

This scarlet letter on the DL thing (see other thread) is pure hate. Hate begets hate.

Wow now its getting up to 14 days? This is outrageous. Im waiting on 2 pistol permits, i think id be lucky to be able to buy ONE pistol in 90 days at this rate. I hate having to feel like a second class citizen in this state just because i am a gun owner.

Every person that got screwed out of a purchase because they had to wait 30 days to submit a second purchase to NICs then were denied because their permit expired before the state got around processing the "instant point of sale check" should file a federal suit for being denied their civil right to keep and bear arms under color of law. How much shit can you lump onto people before it becomes obvious that the only net effect is denying law abiding people their rights. Enough already.

Are your FFLs actually selling that many more guns in the month of March? I would figure they are selling less due to difficulty getting product. But I am just speculating, maybe they are selling more and I am wrong.

How many more guns would they have to sell in a day to push NJ's background check system from 15 minutes to 2 weeks? Are they selling 100 times as many guns per day as they were in 2012? If the NJ background check pull isn't that massive, then there is a bottleneck somewhere. Or we are being screwed. It does seem a little odd in the absence of an explanation.

Considering the NJ NICS Unit's workforce has not increased and the workload doubled, I have to assume that they are backed up and it will take a while to get caught up. Click HERE for a history of the number of NJ NICS Checks.

The problem here in NJ is the cycle is delayed to some extent because of the antiquated paper permit process. The December and January numbers are most likely residual purchases of pistols from the election results. This month and next are going to be high as the permits issued post Newtown are going to start hitting. Although I would imagine the Newtown surge will be less severe considering most people's concerns would be focused on long guns. Either way this issue needs to be addressed in short order; if the state can't handle its responsibilities then it needs to reconsider some of its absurdly redundant processes or be dragged into court to defend them.

Considering the NJ NICS Unit's workforce has not increased and the workload doubled, I have to assume that they are backed up and it will take a while to get caught up.  Click HERE for a history of the number of NJ NICS Checks.

So if "workload doubled" a NICS check goes from 15 minutes to two weeks? I don't understand the math.

But I am glad to hear that twice as many guns are being sold every day. Even though nobody has any guns to sell and background checks take two weeks.

Exactly. I used to be a "reasonable" moderate. Now I'll never trust an anti again and will do everything within my ability to destroy their careers. Radicalizing one's enemies is just plain stupid, and there's going to be payback.

This scarlet letter on the DL thing (see other thread) is pure hate. Hate begets hate.

Excellent point. I too used to be an independent voter who could swing either way depending on who I thought was a better candidate. But after the events of the last few months, I will NEVER vote for another democrat as long as I live unless they come out as being explicitly pro-gun (fat chance I know). I disagree with ALOT of Republican policies but I am willing to put my differences aside. It's become apparent to me that the Democratic Party are a bunch of tyrannical thugs who think nothing of violating our civil rights to further their agenda. I bet there are ALOT of former independents/moderates across the country such as myself and wooly bugger who are going to be swinging to the right because of recent events. I predict an ass kicking being dished out to the democrats in the midterm elections, like what happened to the Clinton-era dems after they passed the original AWB.

So if "workload doubled" a NICS check goes from 15 minutes to two weeks? I don't understand the math.

But I am glad to hear that twice as many guns are being sold every day. Even though nobody has any guns to sell and background checks take two weeks.

In my opinion, if the work load is just enough to keep X number of employees busy, so that they do not sit around drinking coffee and eating donuts, then any increase in work will sit and wait until it gets down below what it was previously thought to be enough. At that point, they will catch up. Hiring more help or paying overtime will speed things up, but that ain't happening.

In my opinion, if the work load is just enough to keep X number of employees busy, so that they do not sit around drinking coffee and eating donuts, then any increase in work will sit and wait until it gets down below what it was previously thought to be enough.  At that point, they will catch up.  Hiring more help or paying overtime will speed things up, but that ain't happening.

If that was true, then any day there was double the number of purchases, due to a sale or a new popular product, or simply a statistical outlier, you would expect a 3 day delay to occur at NJ NICS.  Is that the kind of thing that happens now and then?

what makes NICS delay infuriating is that it is due to incompetence and laziness, as opposed to legislating, which we can at least respond to- yes I know that the contracted company which runs nics is supposedly swamped. but anyone can run an organization when things are quiet. it is the measure of a person when things are chaotic that true character shows

Update and Good News: I received a call(from Efingers in Boundbrook) at noon today stating that my NICS approval has come thru. Just arrived home with my new shotgun. Elapsed time was exactly 7 calendar days; 6 business days if you don't count Sunday. Hope this is a useful guideline to those of you in process.

Update and Good News: I received a call(from Efingers in Boundbrook) at noon today stating that my NICS approval has come thru. Just arrived home with my new shotgun. Elapsed time was exactly 7 calendar days; 6 business days if you don't count Sunday. Hope this is a useful guideline to those of you in process.

I don't get it...where's the goods news?