555R

Rifle build with a noveske 13.7" bbl and sure fire 2.7" brake

I'm slowly collecting parts for a build

The topic states the parts I want to use. Do I need to send these to an FFL or is it ok to ship to my house. This should end up more than 16" for legality but still worried if this will get me in trouble before the rifle is made

This might not actually net you 16 inches. Barrel length is measured to the muzzle, not the shoulder of the threads which is what the crush/peel washer and brake will thread to. YMMV

Perfectly legal to have shipped to you, if you are in the middle of a build I would pin the muzzle brake to the barrel sooner then later. I'd do that before I build my lower, just to play it safe.

When you get everything shipped to you, screw the brake on and measure it. If it doesn't reach at least 16.1", return it for a longer brake.

Just out of curiosity, why not just get a 14.5" barrel?

If the final overall barrel length is going to be the legal 16", why not get the longest barrel you can and still make minimum length?

What advantages does shaving 0.8" of barrel but making it up with a comp/brake offer?

Edited by High Exposure

I think because he jumped on the first Noveske barrel avail in a while? I saw it come up the other day for sale

Ah, got it.

OP said (emphasis mine):

The topic states the parts I want to use

With the "want" I thought it was a choice he made on purpose.

Good luck with the build 555R ;)

Yup one of the first barrels available in a while. GOOD CALL Zerosignal. Plus I have a 14.7" built already and feel this noveske barrel will probably be more accurate also. I am hoping it works out for me. I've emailed noveske and Surefire.

Yup one of the first barrels available in a while. GOOD CALL Zerosignal. Plus I have a 14.7" built already and feel this noveske barrel will probably be more accurate also. I am hoping it works out for me. I've emailed noveske and Surefire.

:)

I was tempted for my Noveske build but I am gonna hold out for a 16" from them

If I remember correctly, that barrel length was spec'ed by Noveske in order to permanently attach their KX3 "Pig" flash hider and make it a 16" barrel avoiding SBR issues but keeping the barrel as short as possible.

I do not think that Surefire brake is going to cut the mustard length wise, and the KX3 is a no-go in our glorious state.

You may want to contact Novese riki-tik and see if they offer a solution before you are stuck with a barrel you can't use.

If I remember correctly, that barrel length was spec'ed by Noveske in order to permanently attach their KX3 "Pig" flash hider and make it a 16" barrel avoiding SBR issues but keeping the barrel as short as possible.

Yes I think you are correct sir...

If cant cancel it. Sell it to some douche on gun broker..

SJC Titan is probably one of the longest. I have this on my Noveske. This thing is loud for your neighbors though as it sends the blast sideways. It is not really noticeable for the shooter though.

Recoil magazine also shows this as the longest at 3.25 inches. Take your barrel and measure it to the point of the threads. Add 3.25 inches and a regular crush washer.

Any ideas who makes a good muzzle brake that adds a total length of 2.5" to a barrel.

I'd contact and check, but at 4.75" and 24 oz, this sucker might have you covered.

http://custommuzzlebrakes.com/#!/~/product/category=2932347&id=16658131 of course if you spec it out ready to rock and roll, it's also over $200. So...

You are going to be limited by the fact that most muzzle brakes are designed to fit into a 1"x3" envelope form muzzle crown to front of the brake. You'll have to look at the ones pushing the envelope to see if you get 2.5" after the crown. SJC titan is 3.5" so take off about 3/4" for threads, that's 2.75" left. It's loud but effective and not super heavy. benny hill rolling thunder is also 3.5" long, so the same math might apply.

Any ideas who makes a good muzzle brake that adds a total length of 2.5" to a barrel.

Check on the SJC Titan. I measured from the first port on the brake closest to the barrel to the end. It is 2.75 inches. As stated earlier, Recoil mag lists the brake's total length at 3.25 inches.

http://stores.sjcguns.com/Detail.bok?no=52

Hey vtecpaoche post some pics please

Sorry, missed your post about pictures.

Here you go.  In the first picture, you can see that it adds a little over 3.25 inches when measuring from where the threads start.  The crush washer gives it that little bit extra.  The second picture is from above but I did not line up the ruler.

post-4412-0-46286700-1369180748_thumb.jpg

post-4412-0-69433000-1369180749_thumb.jpg