Newtonian

Time and cost of reloading

Nick is right...the cost has more than doubled...tripled for some things.

It's time consuming...especially when you're learning.

I literally am just getting into it right now....have everything but the dies, which are due to arrive tomorrow. My reason for doing so is the simple fact I can't buy factory ammo.

Also, you can customize loads for different situations/guns....and it's a hobby.

Using .45 target loads as an example, and current inflated prices for components (but perhaps not accounting for all of the driving now required to find those components):

Primers $2 for 50

Powder $1 for 50

Bullets $4.50 for 50

So, .45 light target loads are about $7.50 a box, using cast bullets. 38 or 9 mm would be a little cheaper. Plated bullets will increase the cost, some jacketed bullets will increase the cost significantly. I'm not factoring in cost of brass--I either use found brass for plinking, or matched brass from factory ammo I've bought in the past for target--with light loads, it lasts for many cycles.

Progressive presses are the only way to go if you load a lot. On a Dillon 550, which is towards the bottom of the Dillon product line, but still very, very highly recommended, 100 rounds takes about 15 minutes to load, if the press is already set up. On a single stage press, I dunno--probably well over an hour.

Right now, the only benefit to reloading is that you don't have to wait on ammo to be available. This only applies if you have components, as they are extremely scarce now. I just paid $28/1000 tulammo primers, which I cringe at the thought of, but had to do it. You'll only find powder at a local shop. Some bullets are more available than others and they won't be cheap. It's the wrong time to enter into reloading.

You can't forget opportunity cost, IMHO.

It's theoretically more cost effective and pleasurable for me to lie in a hammock, smoke a $10 cigar, drink $3.00 glass of rum and snuggle with two Italian supermodels than it is to pay $13.00 and one hour of my time to make 50 rounds of .45 ACP that I could purchase for $20 on sale (back when there were sales). Note that when you are reloading ammunition, you absolutely cannot be doing anything else. No listening to music. No talking to friends, no frolicking with Italian supermodels. If you give that cartridge a double charge because you were twirling Benedetta's hair... so keep that in mind. Reloading is serious business if you want to keep all of your fingers and eyes.

I think that if you shoot .44 Magnum, .454 casull, .50 S&W or some other esoteric cartridge, it's worth it. If you are in competitions and want to make sure each of your cartridges is perfect, I can see how it would be worth it. But if you are just shooting some 9mm or .45 every couple of months, just buy some CCI Blazer and call it a day.

Components have doubled (and then some) in cost from when I started to reload 11 years ago.

I have materials that I purchased when things were "normal".

This is what it is cost me to reload 9mm major for my open gun

Data Entered:

Primers: $130 / 5000

Powder: $100 / 8 lbs.

Powder Charge: 8.4 grains

Brass: $100 / 6000

Bullets: $300 / 3750

Total rounds per pound of powder: 833.33

Total cost per round: $0.138

Total cost per 50 rounds: $6.883

Total cost per 100 rounds: $13.767

Total cost per 1000 rounds: $137.667

Click on the link and use the calculator to determine how much it would cost you to reload.

http://www.cmcalc.com/

With no interruptions and full primer tubes, I can load about 700 rounds per hour on a 650

Thanks for that calculator link, Ronny.

Just going through what I paid recently, here's what I'm pulling up for 9mm for myself.

I'm using 147gr X-treme plated bullets, my own brass that I picked up (so free brass yay), W231 powder, CCI primers.

Primers: $170 / 5000

Powder: $84 / 3 lbs.

Powder Charge: 3.6 grains

Brass: $0 / 2000

Bullets: $165 / 2000

Total rounds per pound of powder: 1944.44

Total cost per round: $0.131

Total cost per 50 rounds: $6.545

Total cost per 100 rounds: $13.09

Total cost per 1000 rounds: $130.9

Hey, Newtonian, Ron and Krdshrk have some good numbers there. There are a few of us here in Sussex and Warren that reload. Everyone I have ever known in this sport who shoots a fair number of rounds each year reloads. Will it save you money, no. Will you shoot more, yes. I would say go for it. Custom made ammo is the way to go. If your not sure, at least save that brass, at worst case we'll buy it. Shongum Sportsmen's Assn. in Mansfield(near fish hatchery) will be having a reloading clinic on June 30.

I would not be able to afford to shoot as much I do if I did not reload.

When I started I purchased a 650 with a friend and the press paid for itself in 3 months.

It does not save me money, but it allows me to shoot MORE customized ammo.

Yes save your brass. Worse case I or someone else will want to buy it.

I am in the same boat, I don't reload and have been thinking about it. I have started awhile back to buy some things to get me started. The buying didn't last long as when all this crap went down prices went up. So I have been saving my brass for awhile. I want to reload for two reasons the main one is I want to be able to tailor my loads to my shooting, I wanted to buy a 38 super pistol awhile back but I need to reload to get it to shoot the way it was setup. The savings is just a side benefit to me. So buy things as you see them come up for sale if they are at a descent price. I think if you stay in this hobby and want to get serious you will start to reload!! But for now at least save your brass!!

Thanks for those numbers.

So I can get a reloader..I had one on order and kick myself now for cancelling it because of space, and well the arrival of a baby.

How hard is it to get the supplies for 9mm and 45?

The hardest thing to find as of right now is the actual bullet heads and brass. Primers are somewhat scarce right now too - I've sourced some occasionally - I have about 4k right now with some more on the way. Powder is available to an extent - you will find deals at times - powder valley will ocasionally have some powder in but they're so stacked up on orders right now they're taking over a month to ship. I ordered on 3/25. Emailed 4/16 to check on status - they're still processing orders that were placed on 3/4!

I paid like $350 for the RCBS Rock Chucker kit....comes with most of the stuff you need, press, powder scale, powder measure (no stand), reloading block, case lube kit, hand primer, deburring tool, and a reloading manual. The only thing I wish it included was a case trimmer and the powder measure stand. Then you have to buy the dies, which vary from like $35 for a 3 die set....to hundreds for top of the line stuff.

The kicker.... if you bought in a year ago+ comparable to today, you can't imagine the $$ your saving. The only thing your paying more for seems to be primers. bullets and powder is just a matter of finding, but as a reloader you usually have enough stock to hold you over. I'm not sure what the equipment market is looking like, but it may not be worth buying into now if prices are inflated. I'm finding it hard to find some gear, specifically dies.

The kicker.... if you bought in a year ago+ comparable to today, you can't imagine the $$ your saving. The only thing your paying more for seems to be primers. bullets and powder is just a matter of finding, but as a reloader you usually have enough stock to hold you over. I'm not sure what the equipment market is looking like, but it may not be worth buying into now if prices are inflated. I'm finding it hard to find some gear, specifically dies.

Equioment prices have remained pretty stable as long as you are dealing with a reputable dealer. The wait for equipment is really long right now. I was told 10 - 12 weeks by Dillon 11 weeks ago. I'm still waiting but, the price was the same as before all the crazy broke out. New orders are being told 20+ weeks.

Just a view of what I do for reloading .223 brass obtained from range or wherever. Most of the time is spent preparing the brass.

This is what I do...

Quick clean

De-prime

Clean primer pockets

Swage primer pockets

Long clean in tumbler

Lube

Size

Trim/deburr/hit with scotchbrite/inspect

Tumble again with polish

Insert primers

At this point I have the brass cleaned, sized and primed - ready to load.

On a lee turret press, drop the powder, seat the bullet, then factory crimp.

Some reloaders like to combine some of these steps. For me, I kind of like to take it slow because it gives me more exposure to inspecting the cases as I go along. As you become more experienced, your processes will become more efficient. I also like to get the brass as clean as possible.

It's a very rewarding hobby, but it's not for everyone.

It seems that the cost of reloading most types of ammo has been covered in this thread. The only question that I haven't found the answer for is the initial cost of equipment and which equipment to purchase. Good stuff not just enough to get by but the right stuff to make the rounds right and cover all aspects of reloading. I personally would want to buy the right press and other misc. parts then go back thinking that I should have bought this or that down the road. The right tools make the job easier and the end result is better.

It seems that the cost of reloading most types of ammo has been covered in this thread. The only question that I haven't found the answer for is the initial cost of equipment and which equipment to purchase. Good stuff not just enough to get by but the right stuff to make the rounds right and cover all aspects of reloading. I personally would want to buy the right press and other misc. parts then go back thinking that I should have bought this or that down the road. The right tools make the job easier and the end result is better.

It all depends on how many rounds you plan on shooting a month. You may be able to get by with a single stage if you're not going through a ton of ammo each month or don't mind reloading. I bought the RCBS Rock Chucker kit below when I started. It's a great single stage to start off with and learn. It's still good to have a 2nd single stage press around if you wind up going to a progressive press. It's easy to set up and good for doing precision rifle rounds or working up test rounds. I can do about 100 pistol rounds an hour with prepped brass. Rifle takes longer because I trickle charge the cases. If you need to do more volume, you're probably better off with a progressive press.

I paid like $350 for the RCBS Rock Chucker kit....comes with most of the stuff you need, press, powder scale, powder measure (no stand), reloading block, case lube kit, hand primer, deburring tool, and a reloading manual. The only thing I wish it included was a case trimmer and the powder measure stand. Then you have to buy the dies, which vary from like $35 for a 3 die set....to hundreds for top of the line stuff.

This is an excellent kit to get into reloading. I also use the Chargemaster 1500 digital scale which is an awesome scale. I use this along with the RCBS 505 scale for a sanity check.

It's all worth the satisfaction of creating your own loads...

post-5674-0-14093300-1366699826_thumb.jpg

I concur.....the Rock Chucker kit is great....although I don't really care for the 505 scale. I'm quickly realizing I'm going to have to invest in a digital scale (or at least an RCBS 1010 scale)....and a powder trickler, at least if your working up loads. Using a dipper kinda blows.