iRescue

Chest rigs, plate carriers and 'war belts'

This year I'm hoping to dedicate my gun fund to training. Step one was to lose the weight I've put on in the past years and of course that justified me finally getting the plates I wanted. Bulletpropfme Size L SAPI cut stand alone lvl 4 ceramics in a Crye JPC carrier. It has the integrated 3 mag carrier as well as an admin pouch that can also hold pistol mags/small items. I need to add some side plates eventually and I have a few other odds and ends I'm piecing together(IFAK/headset). I've started working out in this as of 6 days ago and I can tell you I feel it.

d85f89c335881bb390dc6157be3eb470.jpg

002e28b4e0d642cafa62298460ea0756.jpg

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

The straps are great I wore it for 4 hours and it was comfortable. If I had to wear it longer I might invest the $20 in the upgraded padding

Edit: it's 19lbs with the plates and the 3 loaded mags

I think your setup would make it more effective to shoulder a rifle without all the padding in the front.  It's kind of awkward getting a nice stable cheek weld on the banshee.

Glad to hear you say it's comfortable, even at 4 hours.

I think your setup would make it more effective to shoulder a rifle without all the padding in the front. It's kind of awkward getting a nice stable cheek weld on the banshee.

Glad to hear you say it's comfortable, even at 4 hours.

Use a shorter stock with a plate carrier. Ace skeleton stock entry length for example (ARFX-E).

Its not about the stock length but the uneven bulkiness of the padding. Each time the rifle is up and presented its sitting in a slightly different spot especially if moving around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Its not about the stock length but the uneven bulkiness of the padding. Each time the rifle is up and presented its sitting in a slightly different spot especially if moving around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Gotcha. Would a shooter's cut resolve that issue?

All armor has issues when shouldering a rifle when compared to running a gun slick.

It's aggravating for a few minutes, then your body figures out how to make it work, and then you forget all about it.

Roger.

This year I'm hoping to dedicate my gun fund to training. Step one was to lose the weight I've put on in the past years and of course that justified me finally getting the plates I wanted. Bulletpropfme Size L SAPI cut stand alone lvl 4 ceramics in a Crye JPC carrier. It has the integrated 3 mag carrier as well as an admin pouch that can also hold pistol mags/small items. I need to add some side plates eventually and I have a few other odds and ends I'm piecing together(IFAK/headset). I've started working out in this as of 6 days ago and I can tell you I feel it.

d85f89c335881bb390dc6157be3eb470.jpg

002e28b4e0d642cafa62298460ea0756.jpg

That is the setup I have and love it. I run a medium Crye JPC and BulletProofMe Lvl4 standalone plates.

I find the built-in pouches to be slightly too deep and too low profile. I also removed the retention bunji cords, I feel they only get in the way. In class I found it difficult to get my hand up high enough to pull a mag out for a speed reload. It wasn't impossible, but it slowed me down. I noticed my reloads were slower than using a BCM chest rig.

Since then I have added a HSP cheat rig via swift clips. I can run the carrier slick and use the 3 onboard pouches, or I can clip on the HSP D3 and run 4 rifle and 4 pistol mags. I find the admin pouch totally useless for pistol mags, it's too high up. I prefer to run pistol mags on my belt in Tacos.

As for shouldering the rifle the previous statement is spot on. At first it felt awkward and unstable, but you adapt quickly.

I am waiting for the Crye Low Profile Belt. So far it's been a three month ordeal. Their online sizing chart is totally wrong and after waiting a month for one belt, I had to send it back and wait two months for a replacement. Oye. Once I get the replacement, I plan to run two pistol and two rifle mags on it along with the gun and IFAK.

On a serious note, what do you guys use these rigs to store?  I'm actually curious.  I understand integrating pouches and such in if it's on an armor carrier.  But wearing a vest for carrying just mags seems excessive.  To each their own.  I tried one once, and was not sold at all.  I've since just gotten a couple kydex mag holders that attach to a regular belt.  My 1911, two spare pistol mags, and three AR mags will fit on or behind my hips.  It leaves my torso open and very comfortable.  Just curious what the rigs are actually used for carrying.

I actually just bought a simple chest rig from SKD last night during the sale. 3 mags across the front and hydration pack in the back for hot days and help balance the load. I only carry 2 rifle mags on my belt and some of the carbine classes I looked at recommend carrying more. It was cheap and if I dont like it, I'll just sell it.

On a serious note, what do you guys use these rigs to store?  I'm actually curious.  I understand integrating pouches and such in if it's on an armor carrier.  But wearing a vest for carrying just mags seems excessive.  To each their own.  I tried one once, and was not sold at all.  I've since just gotten a couple kydex mag holders that attach to a regular belt.  My 1911, two spare pistol mags, and three AR mags will fit on or behind my hips.  It leaves my torso open and very comfortable.  Just curious what the rigs are actually used for carrying.

When I play Airsoft and use my rigs, I have radios, mags, and extra equipment (tools, compass, maps, extra batteries, extra gas, extra ammo).  Hydration carrier on the back.  That's more for lugging everything around all day or most of the day so I don't have to go back to the staging area to reload everything.  Still, in a SHTF scenario, carrying all that stuff with the weight distributed around my shoulders and waist with the chest rig is a LOT better than having everything at my hips with just a belt.

On a serious note, what do you guys use these rigs to store? I'm actually curious. I understand integrating pouches and such in if it's on an armor carrier. But wearing a vest for carrying just mags seems excessive. To each their own. I tried one once, and was not sold at all. I've since just gotten a couple kydex mag holders that attach to a regular belt. My 1911, two spare pistol mags, and three AR mags will fit on or behind my hips. It leaves my torso open and very comfortable. Just curious what the rigs are actually used for carrying.

The most important thing my plate carrier carries are he front and rear Level 4 Stand Alone plates. The magazines are secondary. If I don't need armor I have a chest rig or a belt. If I need armor, the chest rig or belt mag carrier won't cut it.

Do I need armor? Who knows. I train with it just in case I ever do.

My question was not of the "why do you need this" variety, but an "I don't have one and want to know if I should look into getting one".  I understand this opens up the possibility of carrying armor.  I wanted to know what people carried other than mags, as I can carry some mags on my belt comfortably.  Now if I was carrying more than what I listed, or maybe even if the rifle mags were standard capacity, then it might be too much for a belt.  I don't know.  I'm trying to learn what my possibilities are.

My question was not of the "why do you need this" variety, but an "I don't have one and want to know if I should look into getting one".  I understand this opens up the possibility of carrying armor.  I wanted to know what people carried other than mags, as I can carry some mags on my belt comfortably.  Now if I was carrying more than what I listed, or maybe even if the rifle mags were standard capacity, then it might be too much for a belt.  I don't know.  I'm trying to learn what my possibilities are.

Sorry if my response sounded snide, not meant to be.  I was serious, the only reason to get a plate carrier is to carry plates.  A chest rig can do the same thing with less bulk and weight. I've carried (2) 30rd AR mags on my belt in a class without much trouble.  I've carried (4) rifle and (4) pistol mags in a BCM chest rig with a hydration bladder on the back in a class as well.  

This is the way I see it;  If you only need to carry a couple rifle and a couple pistol mags, doing so on a belt is the best solution.  I am not a big fan of the drop leg carriers, I find them awkward but I suppose its an option as well. The next step up is a chest rig, they usually will accommodate (4) rifle and (4) pistol mags and could hold a hydration carrier on the back.  Following that, the only reason to go to a plate carrier is to have armor. 

My chest rig arrived this weekend. 3 mags across the front. I loaded it up and tried it on. From just messing around in the apt, it feels great. When dropping down onto my stomach, I barely notice its there. We'll see how it performs in class in April.