fishnut

Who has a garden and what do you grow?

Look for Fox Farm nutrients. The stuff is top notch. It's kinda geared towards pot growers but I've been useing it exclusively this year and the little veggies I do have are producing way more than they ever have in years past and the only thing I have changed is the fertilizer

Thanks for the tip!

Shameless plug. If anyone needs garden stuff my family owns a garden center and nursery

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

I got a few peppers growing from the remaining planters I got from you.

Highly recommend Patrick's family business

My chickens were free ranging in the backyard until the frigging bear showed up and had one for a meal.  Now they stay in their penned in area.  Had to chase the big bruin off twice since in the last three days.  I hate them around. 

The garden is three raised beds one with herbs, and catnap, you know kitty kat crack.  Basil, thyme, rosemary, chives, and others.  The other two beds have exotic tomatoes, yellow grape, heirloom, and special plum variety, along with french beans, green and yellow squash, kirby cukes for pickles, japanese eggplant, and a couple other things I cannot remember,   If the heat lets up the wild raspberries will be ready soon, but always a battle beating the birds to them.  I put in more topsoil each spring by digging it up from the woods on the back of the property where the leaves and other organics naturally compost.  Works quite well with a little miracle grow added in.  No pesticides, just let mother nature take its own course.  Chickens help out a lot.

Shameless plug. If anyone needs garden stuff my family owns a garden center and nursery

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

I got a few peppers growing from the remaining planters I got from you.

Highly recommend Patrick's family business

I started a small garden this May. My yard is terrible for growing anything, so I opted to make a raised bed with two 4x4 pallets. Went with beefsteak hybrid tomatoes, black cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers, jalapeño, bell, and hot peppers, onions and cabbage. Planted everything in soil with pre tilled organic worm castings.

For being on the small side, my garden is producing tomatoes pretty hard. Something is eating the hell out of my cabbage tho, and some of my peppers refuse to produce anything. But my onions should be ready to pick close to the end of August and those have me excited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

yeah I have 2 pepper plants that aren't producing anything either... they were planted like 2 weeks ago. maybe too late in the season?

Mine were planted at the same time as everything else was. Sweet peppers and jalapeño produced, and I had one small bell but that was it. I don't think I gave them enough room to grow.

My wife is mostly into flowers - cannas, kallas, peonies, hostas, and many I have no names...

Some tomato plants - we always get much more than we can handle, so we make juice.  This year only one plant of eggplants and one of zucchini.  Garlic was planted in October, now drying in the shed and in living room.

Lots of impressive gardens. What do you feel inspired you?

I'm part Italian. My gramps and Nana had a garden, my dad had a garden, now I have a garden and my brother has a roof top garden in jersey city. It's in our blood I think

Lots of impressive gardens. What do you feel inspired you?

Mainly just something to do. Had some extra money from work, and wanted something worthwhile to spend it on.

Plus it's pretty fun to watch it grow!

My wife finally broke me down last year. I installed a raised bed garden, 4'x8' total. Got tomatoes, various peppers, chives anc cucumbers out of it. We planted Romain lettuce, carrots, peas, cukes, grean beans, peppers and watermellons this year. Some things are producing, some are not.

Why do lots of people have raised beds ? Is it better than putting down a few bags of garden soil on a cleared piece of land ?

On reason is that lots of areas in NJ are infamous for having miserable red clay soil - it drains poorly and it's also so compact that some plants won't even grow well in it (they just have trouble sinking their roots down into it). A raised bed allows you to make a much better environment for the plants.. 

Apple Airport

On reason is that lots of areas in NJ are infamous for having miserable red clay soil - it drains poorly and it's also so compact that some plants won't even grow well in it (they just have trouble sinking their roots down into it). A raised bed allows you to make a much better environment for the plants..

And shale. I have no desire to get involved with that...

I started a small garden this May. My yard is terrible for growing anything, so I opted to make a raised bed with two 4x4 pallets. Went with beefsteak hybrid tomatoes, black cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers, jalapeño, bell, and hot peppers, onions and cabbage. Planted everything in soil with pre tilled organic worm castings.

For being on the small side, my garden is producing tomatoes pretty hard. Something is eating the hell out of my cabbage tho, and some of my peppers refuse to produce anything. But my onions should be ready to pick close to the end of August and those have me excited.

I planted jalapeno and Anaheim peppers is early may, started indoors early late march. They just started producing last week, but they took off.  My whole garden actually took off just last week. Do you see any flowers on them?

I planted jalapeno and Anaheim peppers is early may, started indoors early late march. They just started producing last week, but they took off. My whole garden actually took off just last week. Do you see any flowers on them?

No flowers. But I was looking at the one today and there are buds on it, but it's still up in the air if it'll grow.

d3102dcab5e6675bf7e3ecb11126a247.jpg

That's what I pulled today. Black cherry tomatoes, beef steak, and my one bell lol

Why do lots of people have raised beds ? Is it better than putting down a few bags of garden soil on a cleared piece of land ?

For us, it was two factors.  One, the soil around here that isn't prime farmland is pretty poor.  The second reason is our dogs.  When we tried in-ground gardening, our dogs ran through the beds every day and broke plants.  We ended up running chicken wire around the garden.  With raised beds, the worst they do is hop into the bed to forage for food.  Which gets them the hose.

For us, it was two factors.  One, the soil around here that isn't prime farmland is pretty poor.  The second reason is our dogs.  When we tried in-ground gardening, our dogs ran through the beds every day and broke plants.  We ended up running chicken wire around the garden.  With raised beds, the worst they do is hop into the bed to forage for food.  Which gets them the hose.

If my dog knew that getting into the garden would produce a hose, i wouldn't have a garden left.

When we first moved into our house back in 05 I tried doing alot of different plantings.  Over the next coupla years I decided what grew best and stuck with that.  I did experiment with other things here and there just not on a large scale.  My garden is only 10x15 since I have alot of trees.  I found tomatoes grow like weeds. Hot peppers grow good but not bell peppers. Lettuce grows well but I get ants. Zucchini grows well but takes over the real estate.  So mainly Tomatoes, some Japanese Eggplant and hot peppers.  Sage, oregano and thyme come back every year.

Besides the ants on the lettuce, I was having birds attack the ripe tomatoes.  I started pulling them off the plant when they JUST turned orange/red color and let them ripen indoors.  Then started using a mixture of habanero sauce and water and sprayed the plants with that.  There's no residual hot sauce flavor and birds obviously don't like it. haha

Getting ready to sell my house so the garden was tilled, weeded and covered with grass seed.  Just kept a couple tomato pots on the patio.

When we first moved into our house back in 05 I tried doing alot of different plantings. Over the next coupla years I decided what grew best and stuck with that. I did experiment with other things here and there just not on a large scale. My garden is only 10x15 since I have alot of trees. I found tomatoes grow like weeds. Hot peppers grow good but not bell peppers. Lettuce grows well but I get ants. Zucchini grows well but takes over the real estate. So mainly Tomatoes, some Japanese Eggplant and hot peppers. Sage, oregano and thyme come back every year.

Besides the ants on the lettuce, I was having birds attack the ripe tomatoes. I started pulling them off the plant when they JUST turned orange/red color and let them ripen indoors. Then started using a mixture of habanero sauce and water and sprayed the plants with that. There's no residual hot sauce flavor and birds obviously don't like it. haha

Getting ready to sell my house so the garden was tilled, weeded and covered with grass seed. Just kept a couple tomato pots on the patio.

FYI most birds love hot peppers and it does not affect them like it does us. Many parrot foods include dried hot peppers. I had the same problem a few years ago and thought it was birds attacking ripe tomatoes and strawberries but it turned out to be slugs. Egg shells took care of them. But if your hot pepper juce is working don't stop lol

This year my wife finally convinced me that a fence around our 20x20' garden was a good idea. Was it ever! 

For our first 15 years or so in this house we had no deer problem. But beginning around 2010 whole deer families would help themselves. We'd wake up to find everything but the tomatoes eaten to the ground. Hard to grow beans that way. 

A great thing about fences is you can grow lots of stuff on/against them and they hardly take up any room. We had peas, recently yanked, now beans growing that way. Plus cucumbers. Next year I'm going to plant a bunch of stuff that crawls up fences.

We also grow several types of lettuce, 5 tomato varieties (10 plants total), three different peppers (4 plants), carrots, beets, potatoes. For some reason the cucumbers are thriving this year (we were told we had some kind of root louse), also growing up the fence. This was our first year for asparagus -- not so many we got sick of them, but next year we probably will. 

I can post or email pics, and I highly recommend the guy who constructed the fence. He only charged about $400 over the cost of the materials (I checked). TNT Fencing, located around here.

This year my wife finally convinced me that a fence around our 20x20' garden was a good idea. Was it ever!

For our first 15 years or so in this house we had no deer problem. But beginning around 2010 whole deer families would help themselves. We'd wake up to find everything but the tomatoes eaten to the ground. Hard to grow beans that way.

A great thing about fences is you can grow lots of stuff on/against them and they hardly take up any room. We had peas, recently yanked, now beans growing that way. Plus cucumbers. Next year I'm going to plant a bunch of stuff that crawls up fences.

We also grow several types of lettuce, 5 tomato varieties (10 plants total), three different peppers (4 plants), carrots, beets, potatoes. For some reason the cucumbers are thriving this year (we were told we had some kind of root louse), also growing up the fence. This was our first year for asparagus -- not so many we got sick of them, but next year we probably will.

I can post or email pics, and I highly recommend the guy who constructed the fence. He only charged about $400 over the cost of the materials (I checked). TNT Fencing, located around here.

make sure it's a sturdy fence. I was growing cucumbers along mine and the deer pushed it right over devouring everything. Now, the cucumbers are dead center, with a small section of fence to scale. All the tomatoes are on the outer fence. The deer don't seem to est them. I also dug deeper with good fence posts and just used chicken wire.

make sure it's a sturdy fence. I was growing cucumbers along mine and the deer pushed it right over devouring everything. Now, the cucumbers are dead center, with a small section of fence to scale. All the tomatoes are on the outer fence. The deer don't seem to est them. I also dug deeper with good fence posts and just used chicken wire.

We have a standard post and rail fence, similar to the one between our place and the neighbor's. Four feet high. I originally installed the much larger fence 26 years ago when we were broke -- not Hillary broke, Joe Grinder broke. I was also young :) Lasted 24 years. 

Around the garden fence, top to bottom, is very heavy wire fencing. No deer is pushing that structure down. Only thing that's been eaten was the top of a sunflower plant that drooped over the side. I'll post a photo soon.