Sludog

Bought two guns today, NICS checks up to 17-21 day wait.

I just bought a pistol and rifle today at my LGS and was told that the NICS have been taking 17 days and I could be in for 21 days of waiting. I overheard the shop owner say that he is embarrassed to ask buyers to put down payments on the guns because he is strung out so far laying out all his inventory for 2-3 weeks.

Looks like we will soon be heading to 30 day wait times. Is there an end in sight to this madness? 

I am guessing that in not too long there will be enough concerned citizens to put a class action suit together to try and remedy our current NICS/OGAM issue.  I will be happy to sign up for it.  

I'd be more than happy to sign up for this. 

ANJRPC is looking into the issue, and so is the NJ2AS.

NJ2AS needs to focus on it.  It is a situation effecting everyone buying a gun in NJ right now, including myself.  They seem to be more worried about us going to pick up CCW permit applications than the NICS checks.  :facepalm:

I have 3 pistols bought & paid for sitting at my FFL.  I will need to get a 3 month renewal on 2 of my 3 permits at this point.  If NICS wait time keep getting worse, I may even lose my last P2P and have to reapply for more...

NJ2AS needs to focus on it.  It is a situation effecting everyone buying a gun in NJ right now, including myself.  They seem to be more worried about us going to pick up CCW permit applications than the NICS checks.  :facepalm:

this is a great point the immediate issue is not ccw...

Use some perspective. NJ2AS appears to be doing the groundwork for building a class for both situations. They have been gathering data on township compliance for quite some time, the fact that they have also been attempting to gain compliance without going to court is irrelevant.  For osme reason people seem to forget that when they bitch and moan. Follow their existing advice and document, document, document.  

Use some perspective. NJ2AS appears to be doing the groundwork for building a class for both situations. They have been gathering data on township compliance for quite some time, the fact that they have also been attempting to gain compliance without going to court is irrelevant.  For osme reason people seem to forget that when they **** and moan. Follow their existing advice and document, document, document.  

Precisely....gather all their horses**t and bury them with it in court.

ANJRPC is looking into the issue, and so is the NJ2AS.

No offense but I've been hearing that since January.  It seems that they're addressing it like they addressed the Essex County Mental Health checks.  That is they're waiting it out.

So, once the NICS becomes 30 days, will they act then??

Use some perspective. NJ2AS appears to be doing the groundwork for building a class for both situations. They have been gathering data on township compliance for quite some time, the fact that they have also been attempting to gain compliance without going to court is irrelevant.  For osme reason people seem to forget that when they **** and moan. Follow their existing advice and document, document, document.  

I've been dealing with non-compliance with NJSP since 2008(5 years ago).  Took me 9 months in 2008 to get my initial FID from NJSP.   Just took me 4.5 months to get a P2P. 

They may have helped with some paperwork in local municipalities, but as far as State side- we're all alone and helpless.  I didn't get my P2P's until I sent 4 or 5 letters to my Senator/Assemblymen, the AG, NJSP IA, and Rick Fuentes.  I'm willing to bet it would have taken longer had I not sent those letters. Now I've been waiting over a week already for NICS.  These are situations effecting all of us. 

I've been dealing with non-compliance with NJSP since 2008(5 years ago).  Took me 9 months in 2008 to get my initial FID from NJSP.   Just took me 4.5 months to get a P2P. 

They may have helped with some paperwork in local municipalities, but as far as State side- we're all alone and helpless.  I didn't get my P2P's until I sent 4 or 5 letters to my Senator/Assemblymen, the AG, NJSP IA, and Rick Fuentes.  I'm willing to bet it would have taken longer had I not sent those letters. Now I've been waiting over a week already for NICS.  These are situations effecting all of us. 

Going on 6 months for my FID change of address through the NJSP.  I, too have sent letters and emails to my state assemblymen, senator and Mr. Fuentes. 

So far I'm waiting two weeks. Nada.

An FFL in Ohio that I've been working with says he ran a NICS this morning and it took "Two minutes." That's how long it took me, in NJ, last October.

Is this a state or federal problem? I thought NICS was a federal database.

I have 3 pistols bought & paid for sitting at my FFL.  I will need to get a 3 month renewal on 2 of my 3 permits at this point.  If NICS wait time keep getting worse, I may even lose my last P2P and have to reapply for more...

You should apply for the exemption to OGAM.   You'll probably get it.  

I think I just answered my own question. For those of you who didn't know, some states require dealers to access the FBI database directly for NICS. Others require that you contact a state agency, an intermediary, only for handguns. Still others, like NJ, require you to go through the state for EVERYTHING.

Here's the map: http://1.usa.gov/18FLyBr

Interestingly, gun-friendly Pennsylvania is in the same category as NJ; New York has much looser rules (as of the time the map was drawn).

I think I just answered my own question. For those of you who didn't know, some states require dealers to access the FBI database directly for NICS. Others require that you contact a state agency, an intermediary, only for handguns. Still others, like NJ, require you to go through the state for EVERYTHING.

Here's the map: http://1.usa.gov/18FLyBr

Interestingly, gun-friendly Pennsylvania is in the same category as NJ; New York has much looser rules (as of the time the map was drawn).

NJ is what is called a point of contact state.  All NICS check go through NJSP.  They do the FBI NICS check in addition to checking other state databases.  There is no reason NJ could not submit this additional information to the FBI and get their very slow hands out of the mix.  The FBI already has the electronic system in place to allow NICS checks to be done in a minute.  We already pay taxes to fund the federal NICS system, in addition to the $15 NICS fee NJ charges for doing it themselves.  So we are essentially being double taxed.  It'll also free up Troopers to get out on the road where they belong. 

So we are essentially being double taxed.  It'll also free up Troopers to get out on the road where they belong. 

I wonder why the delay is so bad though. Backlog? Were the troopers told to slow things down? Even with that extra step it should not take very long. My first handgun, last Fall, the NICS occurred while I was in the store. Next time (early February) took 3 days. Now it's bee more than two weeks. Must be a strain on the gun shops as well. Instead of simply completing the sale they have to keep track of this stuff over a period of days or weeks, call the purchaser, then re-open the sales process.

You bet it's tough on stores. My lgs told me yeaterday they are sitting on over 300 guns that are purchased pending NICS approvals.

My local shop owner said the same thing. It is breaking the little shops sitting on all the guns unpaid guns waiting for NICS. They also have to shell out more more money to replenish inventory. Maybe that is the goal for politicians in NJ. To get as many shops to go out of business.

You bet it's tough on stores. My lgs told me yeaterday they are sitting on over 300 guns that are purchased pending NICS approvals.

My lgs also has had to put in extra shelving and develop a system to keep track of all of these guns they have piled up.  I'd say there was at least 200 handguns sold pending NICS and probably the same amount of long guns.  My pistol is one of them. 

The State Police have said it's because of the volume, but according to the statistics, the volume hasn't increased to the point of where it would take 2+ weeks for a NICS check. 

If before the mad rush they were processing 6000-8000 NICS check per month, and according to this stat sheet: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78534756/NJ_NICS_History.pdf

NICS check for April are somewhat back on track for "normal" yet the checks are still taking 2 weeks, then obviously something is up. 

This isn't a volume issue.  They are clearly delaying the checks.  How can they process 7000 checks in a month in a matter of minutes, and they can't do 8000 checks a month in 2 weeks? 

It's time to do something about this. 

They generally do take a deposit, some are even paid for in full - but that does not make it easy.  It is inventory they have to store and can't sell as it is already paid or partly paid for.  They have carrying costs, liability, and just may not have to space to store these in a safe and protected manner.  It just makes business more difficult.

Use some perspective. NJ2AS appears to be doing the groundwork for building a class for both situations. They have been gathering data on township compliance for quite some time, the fact that they have also been attempting to gain compliance without going to court is irrelevant.  For osme reason people seem to forget that when they bitch and moan. Follow their existing advice and document, document, document.  

NJGF has kept records through surveys of the towns and how long FID's have been taking... all of that information that I gathered, was sent to NJ2AS.

The CCW paperwork is not just for CCW.... but as part of a broader fight.