oldguysrule649

Air travel into NYC with ammunition only (no firearm)

Hope this is the right forum to ask this.  Have searched on Google and here but could not find clarity on the following.  Any input would be appreciated.

I am a frequent business traveler to Texas.  Very refreshing to be able to browse the aisles of ammunition(mostly shotgun) at sporting goods stores there.

On my last trip several weeks ago, I flew from DFW to Newark with some  shotgun ammo I purchased.  As this was my first time doing so, I carefully researched the associated TSA and airline rules.

Flew via American Airlines into Newark and encountered no issues.

This coming week will be flying Delta Airlines via LaGuardia Airport(Queens, NYC) and would like to again bring home some ammo from Texas. 

I have extensively read the many online posts concerning the many NYC laws  and PERILS of flying into, and especially out of, a NYC airport with a firearm and ammo. (Basically don't do it.)

However, I will only be transporting ammunition (properly packed per TSA and airlines rules, less than 11 lbs, etc.), no firearm.

Have not been able to find any mention of any special NYC restrictions against flying into NYC airport with just ammunition.

Any feedback, links, etc  that you could share in this regard would be appreciated.  I really enjoy browsing the aisles in Texas and purchasing some ammo there, but don't want to be

exposed to breaking any NYC laws upon my return.

thanks,  Art

YUP, UPS the way to go, and you can ship 110 pounds (or more if you like) rather than just limit yourself to 11 pounds.  Get some for friends too, and remember we are ALL friends here :)

Thank you very much all for the quick responses.  Agree not worth the risk.  A dam shame. 

Will locate and check with a local UPS store while in Dallas this week.  Then go shopping!

(p.s. they are out of most common handgun calibers there too.  Shelves mostly full of shotgun ammo and various rifle calibers. Also very entertaining seeing someone walk up to the counter,

purchase an Sig-Saur AR-15 which was in stock, and be out of the store with their purchase in 20 minutes.  Also shelves of high capacity magazines there for ready for purchase like bags of

potato chips.   Gotta love Texas!))

regards,  Art

Thank you very much all for the quick responses.  Agree not worth the risk.  A dam shame. 

Will locate and check with a local UPS store while in Dallas this week.  Then go shopping!

(p.s. they are out of most common handgun calibers there too.  Shelves mostly full of shotgun ammo and various rifle calibers. Also very entertaining seeing someone walk up to the counter,

purchase an Sig-Saur AR-15 which was in stock, and be out of the store with their purchase in 20 minutes.  Also shelves of high capacity magazines there for ready for purchase like bags of

potato chips.   Gotta love Texas!))

regards,  Art

Might want to save yourself the trouble and call Ottomanelli's first.  I saw a lot of shotgun ammo stacked up there the other day.

Ogfarmer, thanks for pointing out that UPS stores will not handle it.  I checked and there is a UPS Customer Service Center at DFW Airport. Found it on the UPS website.  Upon arriving there last week, did stop by and the UPS clerk confirmed, as many of you indicated above, that no problem shipping ammo.   As it turned out, I didn't buy any.  Did not find enough to make it worthwhile to go through the trouble of boxing/shipping it.  However, going back this week via Newark Airport and plan to purchase up to the allowable limit of 11 lbs and bring it back in my checked luggage.  Anticipate purchasing shotgun ammo, and if I am lucky enough to spot any, some 22LR.  (If I were extremely lucky and found more, there is always the UPS option.)

regards