n4p226r

If the Sweeney bill passes, how many plan on turning in their FPID?

I do not plan to submit to those requirements. Ill buy ammo out of state, maybe move to pa for a few months. Rent a place. Change my address. Buy some stuff. Change it back. Build some 80% lowers. Etc. but I have no plans to be treated like that.

Anyone with me?

I'm not turning anything in but also not complying. I'll make sure to have what I need for the foreseeable future before anything it all kicks in in 2 years.

I'm looking into ways to establish PA residency. This is good not just for guns but for taxes as well. Given what we're learning about the IRS and conservatives, I want to make sure I don't run afoul of the law. I think you have to "live" at your residence for a certain number of days. I can legitimately rent a crash pad near my company branch in PA and sleep there sometimes. 

Sadly, barring a return to the status quo ante, I don't see myself patronizing a whole lot of FFLs in NJ anyway. At this point, I just can't do the 2 hour round trip to my FFL, twice, to pick up a gun. Better to just find an FFL across the border and make periodic trips to stock up on guns/ammo/reloading components.

The real risk without an FID is that I always feel uncomfortable transporting without my FID. I know it's legal, but I'm not sure the police know.

• Like 1

First of all, this bill is a long way of passing. It has to first get reconciled in the Senate, then it has to go to the Assembly. If they Ratify it, then it has to go back to the Senate again. Eventually, after all of that, it will have to go to Christie. Christie has the option to veto it conditionally. Meaning that he will Veto the bill, but if certain changes are made, then he might sign it. So, he can pull out a couple of points, veto the bill. send it back to the assembly and senate to battle it out. 

In the end, Christie can justify his actions, that he felt the bill infringed on the legal rights of the New Jersey Resident. but he would be willing to compromise, knowing, that no compromise may ever happen.

So don't cut off your nose to spite your face at the moment...

I wouldn't be surprised if Christie vetoed the bill based solely on cost. Revamping the entire system can't be cheap and with all the budget cuts he's mandated during his time as Governor, it would seem nonsensical for him to support a costly measure just to try and have some Romney-esque gun-control cred. But it's really anybody's guess...

Christie has more options than veto.

He can line item veto.

He can't add words, but he can remove words.

For example he could remove the training requirement or Id requirement for rifle ammo.

Or he could keep the training requirement, but remove the language about setting course content, and leaving the part about NRA course.

Because of Christie, NJ legislature is much more careful about their language. He line item vetoed a couple of 'not' words, kept the sentence, and reversed legislative intent.

heh...i hadn't realized that. that's awesome......maybe he'll do something like that for us.........

And maybe pigs will fly, unicorns will appear, and property taxes will be cut in half.  :rolleyes:

You guys are awfully optimistic.  Let's not forget that Christie doesn't have to do a damn thing.  In NJ bills do NOT require the governor's approval.  If he fails to veto it, or line item veto it, it becomes law and he can say "I didn't sign it."

Sorry, but that's the honest truth and will achieve what he wants politically.  He gets more gun control (the appointing of Paula Dow and Jeff Chiesa support this idea) and he can say "It's not my fault."

heh...i hadn't realized that. that's awesome......maybe he'll do something like that for us.........

And maybe pigs will fly, unicorns will appear, and property taxes will be cut in half. :rolleyes:

You guys are awfully optimistic. Let's not forget that Christie doesn't have to do a damn thing. In NJ bills do NOT require the governor's approval. If he fails to veto it, or line item veto it, it becomes law and he can say "I didn't sign it."

Sorry, but that's the honest truth and will achieve what he wants politically. He gets more gun control (the appointing of Paula Dow and Jeff Chiesa support this idea) and he can say "It's not my fault."

I don't think there's any political difference between signing and just letting it pass. Either way, he'll be held accountable.

I don't think there's any political difference between signing and just letting it pass. Either way, he'll be held accountable.

It will play differently on a national stage I am sure where he will trot it out as "I didn't sign that legislation" of this you can be sure of.  Look, waiting almost 4 years to get lap band surgery etc etc etc - this guy has national aspirations.  Frankly I think his type of attitude doesn't play outside the northeast and Commiefornia but I've been wrong before.

For example, take the current S2723 bill

Keep the photo id requirement.

Knock out 3d and 8e that says the card can be remotely disabled or track 1 gun a month.

Knock out 10d that requires reapplication every 4 years.

Knock out 11-15.

Knock out most of 16.

Knock out the FFL provisions of 21

Knock out all mention of 'operationally disabled'

Sign the bill and pass it.

Then he can say he passed NJ legislature's tough new gun laws, but cut out all the useless provisions and saved taxpayers millions of dollars.

We get a new photo id, and effectively retired the useless 90 day P2P.

You never know what any politician will do. But I doubt he will sign most of these bills. If he does he might as well head on down to white castle and order a few sacks to go. No way he could even contend in a primary. But then again the way he's been hugging our leftist president he might sign them all.

My gut tells me no.But I never though the supreme court would let Obama care stand.So ehh ???

I wouldn't mind the photo ID (although pointless if I have a drivers license to hand over to the clerk with my FID if need be), but getting rid of the P2P would be a good thing.

My concern would be what hoops I would have to jump through to get the new photo ID.  How long would it take to re-ID a million people in this state?  What junk fees would be involved?

Oh and someone asked this earlier, perhaps on a different thread.

No Sweeney and Weinberg do not have 2/3rds majority, 27 in Senate and 54 in Assembly, to override a veto.

And if Christie line item vetos, each body will need to separately vote to overturn each word or line item vetoed.

he can line item veto appropriations (money) only. He can't line item veto any other stuff.

If I understand correctly, line item veto only applies to appropriations bills.

So long as Sweeney keeps the bill as unfunded mandates, and fund it later as part of DMV or NJSP budgets, line item veto powers do not attach.

Right how each municipality had a detective that runs the background checks. Municipal PDs are paid by property tax, I believe. By requiring renewal every 4 years, Sweeney is raising costs for municipal PDs, but he won't need to budget for them.

If I understand correctly, line item veto only applies to appropriations bills.

Yes that's exactly what I said. 

But why even go that far. He can just veto these entire bills, make all of us gun owners happy and he'll still get re-elected. As a bonus he won't poison his chances for future political office where he needs gun owners to vote for him. 

Yes that's exactly what I said. 

But why even go that far. He can just veto these entire bills, make all of us gun owners happy and he'll still get re-elected. As a bonus he won't poison his chances for future political office where he needs gun owners to vote for him.

He can probably sign a bunch of bills like NICS and anti trafficking, veto new ID, and still come out smelling like a rose.

Barbara Buono is no friend.

Saw Christie last night in a restaurant......he was gorging on deep fried onion rings.......first time I ever saw him up close.....I was stunned.

I thought post surgery they have to maintain a really strict diet or else they could poop their pants like Al.

I don't know if it is related but some folks can't digest fat, like I can't digest lactose (milk). Bad things happen when I drink a tall glass of moo juice.

I don't know if it is related but some folks can't digest fat, like I can't digest lactose (milk). Bad things happen when I drink a tall glass of moo juice.

Way off topic here, but I hope you know that they make lactose-free milk for people like us.