tripcarl

+1 for Ottomanelli's Sporting Arms

Try to understand something. Brand new company does not always yield good prices to start. For example, a company may expect you to buy let's say $250,000.00 for a first time stock buy. If you can maintain those sales, they will bring you into a better tier of wholesale pricing. This may not be every manufacturer or distributer. But these rules apply on lots of products, not just guns. I had over 3 online stores. Some required me buying no stock. Others I had to buy a min $5000 of stock a month...

So, that being said. Give them a chance to get established. I'm working on my 3rd gun from them. They do not gouge... Prices may be at Man. Suggested Retail... But continue to not give them business, then don't ever expect good pricing. It's that simple.

I've seen some of you folks go panic buying for dozens of mags for your ARs... If you choose not to give a local business a sale because a gun might be 40 bux outside your price range, then you should be ashamed. And you wonder why small business are scarce because big box stores wipe them out. Sort of reminds me of my ex wife going shopping with her girl friends. She would drive an hour away and waste gas to save 2 bux... Never could get that through her head...

They treat me good there. Unless I can literally save hundreds of dollars or they cannot get something I need, I will continue to give them my business because I do want to see them survive and someday be the best shop in town...

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...[/quote

As I do agree about not supporting your local shop because of $40 is crazy it seems that your talking out of both sides of your mouth. In one breath your saying to support your local shop and give them time to allow them to get better prices but in the next breath you state how you own or owned three online businesses. Online business are the biggest reason small companies can't compete price wise. Most online companies drop ship from the supplier don't have a fiscal location and a ton of others. So for someone so pro small business you are one of the main reasons many aren't left or able to survive.

Nope, not talking out of both sides. I sold stuff online categorized as 'unique'.... You could not buy over 90% of the stuff I sold locally... Mostly custom...So without knowing me, that was an unfair assumption.Companies that wanted me to sell stuff in stores, I refused. I refused to sell stuff in which there was no chance I could compete with anyway. What would be the point?My stores could not survive anymore due to the bad economy. Only way around that was to sell products you could buy locally. Rather than do that, I folded. Now just retired...nuttin else left for me that I care about.I always supported the local shops. But every one I supported was put out of biz my places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Got even harder when companies like Sears turned into Brand Central in order to compete for a bigger retail market.This is why I still try my best to support the local little guys if I can. I bet most of you would not just to save a few bux. I know this by what people post here. Does't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.I'm very rarely in a hurry for anything. Why should I be? I sometimes have to scrimp and save. Which means I must wait. So not to make it sound like I'm rich, I'm not... Just old fashion! All in all... I'm willing to sacrifice a few extra bux for good service. I apologize if some of you have been slighted by what you felt was bad service. But I've spent a lot of time there, sometimes just observing or helping answer questions. I have never witnessed anyone being treated bad.

Try to understand something. Brand new company does not always yield good prices to start. For example, a company may expect you to buy let's say $250,000.00 for a first time stock buy. If you can maintain those sales, they will bring you into a better tier of wholesale pricing. This may not be every manufacturer or distributer. But these rules apply on lots of products, not just guns. I had over 3 online stores. Some required me buying no stock. Others I had to buy a min $5000 of stock a month...So, that being said. Give them a chance to get established. I'm working on my 3rd gun from them. They do not gouge... Prices may be at Man. Suggested Retail... But continue to not give them business, then don't ever expect good pricing. It's that simple.I've seen some of you folks go panic buying for dozens of mags for your ARs... If you choose not to give a local business a sale because a gun might be 40 bux outside your price range, then you should be ashamed. And you wonder why small business are scarce because big box stores wipe them out. Sort of reminds me of my ex wife going shopping with her girl friends. She would drive an hour away and waste gas to save 2 bux... Never could get that through her head...They treat me good there. Unless I can literally save hundreds of dollars or they cannot get something I need, I will continue to give them my business because I do want to see them survive and someday be the best shop in town...Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HDTypos courtesy Apple...[/quoteAs I do agree about not supporting your local shop because of $40 is crazy it seems that your talking out of both sides of your mouth. In one breath your saying to support your local shop and give them time to allow them to get better prices but in the next breath you state how you own or owned three online businesses. Online business are the biggest reason small companies can't compete price wise. Most online companies drop ship from the supplier don't have a fiscal location and a ton of others. So for someone so pro small business you are one of the main reasons many aren't left or able to survive.
Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HDTypos courtesy Apple...

I'm willing to spend more locally. But that has limits. If a gun has an msrp of $1000 and most places sell for $850, I'm not spending $1100 on it. I don't know how high their prices are as I haven't looked to buy a gun lately but they did seen higher than msrp on the few I thought I knew

I agree with you. As I said, saving hundreds is one thing. But as for their prices, they are slowly coming down as better tiers are being reached. Ammo too...

Not too many guns over msrp any more.

They just ran out, but cases of 9mm 115gr for $19 bux...

Shelves were loaded...

I'm willing to spend more locally. But that has limits. If a gun has an msrp of $1000 and most places sell for $850, I'm not spending $1100 on it. I don't know how high their prices are as I haven't looked to buy a gun lately but they did seen higher than msrp on the few I thought I knew

Typos courtesy Apple...

Yea, I know... Just making a point. They are slowing giving back savings when they get savings.... Takes time.

Ammo is a different story.

Typos courtesy Apple...

I haven't been there in a while but since day 1, I always felt there ammo prices were pretty good when you compared them to other local merchants. Which was probably why I was so surprised when I saw there pistol prices.

I purchased a handgun at Ottomanelli's this week. I paid $630.00 plus $44 NJ sales tax plus $17 NICS, total of $691 for it, but before that I did plenty of research on the Internet. Gunbroker's best deal listed them for $569.00 buy it now. Then add 3% for CC fee, $17.00, then add $35 shipping, then add $50 for the FFL transfer. That totals out to $671.00.

OK, in the end I paid a premium of $20.00. What I got in return was:

A) ability to see and handle the gun before purchase.

B) ability to ask questions in person.

C) ability to walk out with my purchase.

D) ability to support my LGS and

E) build a relationship.

This was my second purchase at Ottomanelli's. They know me by name, greet me when I walk in, and make me feel welcome.

Same here... Today, just put a deposit on a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm... Ogam sux, but no prob. 3rd permit will be for that Kimber Warrior SOC... Great service..

I purchased a handgun at Ottomanelli's this week. I paid $630.00 plus $44 NJ sales tax plus $17 NICS, total of $691 for it, but before that I did plenty of research on the Internet. Gunbroker's best deal listed them for $569.00 buy it now. Then add 3% for CC fee, $17.00, then add $35 shipping, then add $50 for the FFL transfer. That totals out to $671.00.

OK, in the end I paid a premium of $20.00. What I got in return was:

A) ability to see and handle the gun before purchase.

B) ability to ask questions in person.

C) ability to walk out with my purchase.

D) ability to support my LGS and

E) build a relationship.

This was my second purchase at Ottomanelli's. They know me by name, greet me when I walk in, and make me feel welcome.

Typos courtesy Apple...

What's with not giving prices over the phone... This was a surprise to me and very frustrating. Everyone else does it and will save me the trip.

I know they want to get you into their store but as soon as I hear no price over the phone it makes them seem expensive so I take my business else where.

A lot of businesses won't do that....

Not uncommon...

You are not that far... go browse and stop complaining... ;)

What's with not giving prices over the phone... This was a surprise to me and very frustrating. Everyone else does it and will save me the trip.

I know they want to get you into their store but as soon as I hear no price over the phone it makes them seem expensive so I take my business else where.

I have been there 3 or 4 times.  Each time I was given poor service.

The first 3 times, I was just browsing, so I ALMOST understand the low level of service.

Thsi last time, I walked in and spent $500 in 5 minutes.

This last time, I walked in the door, and asked for a sight.  Kid didn't understand what I wanted, so I showed him. 

Looked at two sights and was deciding.  Maybe 30 seconds.  Kid says "so are you gonna buy one or not?"

Luckily for them I wanted the sight "right now".

So I decided on the RMR and asked them to install for me.  Sure, no problem.  Can you come back tomorrow?  Um, no.  The install on my gun is taking two allen key screws out, putting a mounting plate on with 2 screws, and screwing the sight to the plate.  They made a big deal out of it, but then said they would do what they could.  I went outside to smoke a cig and they were done putting the sight on before I was done with my cig.

I went in to get my gun and when I asked for a bag for the sight box, had to deal with rolled eyes.

Purchased the sight, $50 over Cabelas price, but I owned a retail store, so I prefer to support a retail store, but this is my last time at their store.

As for comparing their service to Caso's I could not disagree more.

I won't waste my time any longer trying to defend them and convince you folks differently. It's obvious you can't please everyone and I understand that. But I don't see them that way and never have.

The Staties report they are turning out record numbers in gun sales than most similar businesses. So they must be doing something right.

That being said, to each their own... Maybe rather than complain online, be an adult and take up your concerns with the owner in person...

I won't waste my time any longer trying to defend them and convince you folks differently. It's obvious you can't please everyone and I understand that. But I don't see them that way and never have.

The Staties report they are turning out record numbers in gun sales than most similar businesses. So they must be doing something right.

That being said, to each their own... Maybe rather than complain online, be an adult and take up your concerns with the owner in person...

That's the whole reason for the forum, to post personal experiences you had with an establishment good or bad. If you had good experiences with them great. I myself haven't had bad experiences with them just feel they are pricey. I myself read the post good or bad about an establishment or a product and make my decision.

I understand... But complaining -just here-... will not solve anything. A problem cannot be fixed by just walking away grumbling. Speak up and tell them your displeasure... People just grumbling here might shed some light. But it shouldn't be to dissuade others.

If I were pist, I'd be hashing it out with them personally. Not hide behind a computer. There is way too much computer banter these days. Nobody has the ballz to solve problems in person anymore.

It's a known fact more people will complain rather than give a favorable review. Mostly because when pist, they need to lash out. But when happy, they smile from ear to ear and move on their merry way... Others rather say nothing either way. I'm a firm believer that you do not reprimand without commending and vice versa.

So! If you are pist, go talk to Mike Sr. and see if the problem can be rectified. It's not fair to just let a problem stifle here. Not healthy for anyone...

I don't mind people posting their issues, but I do hate when they wish to keep ranting without reconciling. I'd rather see someone come in here and say, "Regarding my issue with OSArms, i had a great discussion with the owner and he made everything right"... How often do you see posts like that here compared to others. Don't expect the owner to come in here defending himself either. Not everyone has computer or internet savvy..

That's the whole reason for the forum, to post personal experiences you had with an establishment good or bad. If you had good experiences with them great. I myself haven't had bad experiences with them just feel they are pricey. I myself read the post good or bad about an establishment or a product and make my decision.

My only issue with OSArms is their pricing, although the prices appear to be coming down. I knowingly paid $60 more from them for an M9 than what Meltzer's had it listed for simply because I liked the the guys in Ottomanelli's more.

I like the guys in there and have never had a terrible experience with anyone. They have been a bit "short" at times when it was really busy, but I have no problem with that.

If their pricing continues to drop and align with other shops in the area, they will be my go-to LGS.

Bhunted I agree 100% with you in regards to most people only post complaints. Unfortunately that's what people do. As I don't have a problem opening up my mouth to a sales person or owner if I am unhappy with service, many people are shy or more reserved and choose not to speak up. You will find good and bad with any establishment I give a place a few chances before I take them off my list of providers.

I was in there yesterday looking at this shotgun: http://grabagun.com/remington-arms-co-guns-81209-870-tact-magpul.html

Online, after transfer fees, would run me $726. 

At Ottomanelli's, $871. Though for that extra $145, I get to support a local business where the kids behind the counter act like I'm wrong for interrupting their youtube video watching. (At least it was  a hickok45 vid).

I purchased a handgun at Ottomanelli's this week. I paid $630.00 plus $44 NJ sales tax plus $17 NICS,total of $691 for it, but before that I did plenty of research on the Internet. Gunbroker's best deal listed them for $569.00 buy it now. Then add 3% for CC fee, $17.00, then add $35 shipping, then add $50 for the FFL transfer. That totals out to $671.00.

If your online buying = gunbroker, you're doing it wrong.

My only issue with OSArms is their pricing, although the prices appear to be coming down. I knowingly paid $60 more from them for an M9 than what Meltzer's had it listed for simply because I liked the the guys in Ottomanelli's more.

I like the guys in there and have never had a terrible experience with anyone. They have been a bit "short" at times when it was really busy, but I have no problem with that.

If their pricing continues to drop and align with other shops in the area, they will be my go-to LGS.

I do. Big time. 

Where I work, my "customers" are the dregs of society: druggies, thieves, burglars, murderers, gang bangers, assorted thugs, etc.  And unless I get sh!t from them first, I always treat them with at least a modicum of respect*. 

I expect at least that much from some guy who's paycheck might be coming out of my pocket.

*Pedos excluded. 

As for the OS fans: If you love the place, great. Maybe the rest of us have all coincidentally had "rare" bad experiences. 

But that's been our experience, nonetheless.

And it's not just the $. I shop frequently at Effinger, despite the higher prices, because I'm a big fan of supporting local gun shops.

I would also, gladly, pay $50-$100 more to buy something from a guy like Rick at OMG. He's never been anything other than knowledgeable, professional, helpful and an all around nice guy. 

An LGS like that, I'm more than happy to support. 

Well, maybe they should say nada or grow a set. In this hobby, we are gun owners with a passion. A passion that may require a big set of nadz these days. ;)

An old cliché works for this I think, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"... Especially if it's happening to you as you stand there. If you were getting pist by a salesman's action, why would you hold back? Is it possible that it is you and not them?

Another cliché I don't agree with. "The customer is always right"... As far as I'm concerned, that went out with the dark ages long go. People today will beat you to the ground to save a dollar and after brow beating you, go shopping elsewhere. I've seen businesses close just for that reason. Just one of the reasons we lose mom/pop stores these days. That saying was around many years ago when little stores bent over backwards to make money.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_customer_is_always_right

There is just too much bitching these days and most likely over nothing..

Like the other fellow said, they were a little short because of being busy.

Maybe it's just me, but in most cases owning a gun and being meek doesn't cut it.

If you are a consumer buying in a brick and mortar store. Stand your ground, be civil and try resolve your issues. Walking away will not fix it for you or the next person.

Bhunted I agree 100% with you in regards to most people only post complaints. Unfortunately that's what people do. As I don't have a problem opening up my mouth to a sales person or owner if I am unhappy with service, many people are shy or more reserved and choose not to speak up. You will find good and bad with any establishment I give a place a few chances before I take them off my list of providers.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Bought my last two handguns there and their prices were in line with others. I could find both guns cheaper and more expensive online but not anywhere around here.

The big difference between them and the 4 - 5 other shops I tried first was they had the stock.

Michael Jr was very helpful and friendly as were the other staff members I've dealt with there.

I cant stand those guys...  every time I went in there I walked out with an empty wallet.  ;)   Truth  is, never a bad experience at Ottomanellis... great friendly staff, nice selection and prices are decent.  I actually do avoid going in there for fear of a new toy following me home. 

I don't see a problem eating. There is very little room in back. They are non stop busy. If they had to hide to eat, you'd be waiting for help. Prices are about average for the times. And all the hours I spend there, I never seen anyone talked down to. They are the most friendliest people I know in the business.Not sure what you are expecting, but I have no issues with them. I'm not related to them and only originally known Nino from here. Since day one, I've always got warm welcomes and a handshake from everyone. But rating them like a a restaurant just doesn't work.

+1. It's the modern day barbershop. Pull up a spot and shoot the breeze. I've never seen them talk down or chase anyone out of the place.

I cant stand those guys...  every time I went in there I walked out with an empty wallet.  ;)   Truth  is, never a bad experience at Ottomanellis... great friendly staff, nice selection and prices are decent.  I actually do avoid going in there for fear of a new toy following me home.

Lol I hear that man. I have purchased rifles and handguns from them and have only experienced nothing but a very knowledgable freindly environment that welcomes you in their store. I am yet to even meet someone that says different then that and have to think that the complainers may have an agenda of their own.

I was there around a week ago.  I had walked in with a buddy of mine (who I've introduced to guns and converted him...he is currently going through the arduous process of getting an FID) to see if they had an hollow points in 9mm.  Unfortunately they didn't, but I really didn't expect them too either.  I didn't get his name, but there was an older gentleman behind the counter and he was very helpful and very kind.  He was talking about, and showed my friend some of the knives behind the counter as I perused their wares (I'm thinking about getting a new handgun).  Needless to say, I had a good experience.  We also talked about some of the laws (answers I knew, but just curious as to what he'd say) and he was knew what he was talking about.

ON THE OTHER HAND

In fairness to others, I understand what others on this thread have said about the "kids" that work there.  I have gone in, and witnessed them being condenscending to myself or people who aren't generally "knowledgable" as they are.  I would recommend calling and telling the owner/manager about this, and I guarantee you it will change.

The staff is very friendly... last two times i was there i had basically every staff member come up to me at least once and ask if i wanted to see anything / needed help with anything so they get an A+ for customer service for that....   The first time i visited the store nino (the kid because i think there are 2) stayed open and didnt even rush me and my buddy out even tho they were closed (didnt realize this until i got to the car and saw the missed calls from the girlfriend)   Got a phone call on more then 1 item i asked them for in the past and got a call the day they got S&w 500 ammo in during the crunch..... 

Was going to share my experience about that place.  Yes, both times I went in there after visiting Ant's new range.  They have a ton of selection, but both experiences left a lot to be desired.  First time I was there, either owners or employees were eating on the counter and when asking a question, talked down to like some newbie moron.  Second time.... was far better, asked if I can be helped, but still, felt talked down to.

Selection A+

Prices C-

Service D

I Really Really REALLLLLY couldn't agree more. Although i didnt get talked down to and did find them friendly.. they had 2 younger guys working there so i cant image them talking down to anyone..

Try to understand something. Brand new company does not always yield good prices to start. For example, a company may expect you to buy let's say $250,000.00 for a first time stock buy. If you can maintain those sales, they will bring you into a better tier of wholesale pricing. This may not be every manufacturer or distributer. But these rules apply on lots of products, not just guns. I had over 3 online stores. Some required me buying no stock. Others I had to buy a min $5000 of stock a month...

So, that being said. Give them a chance to get established. I'm working on my 3rd gun from them. They do not gouge... Prices may be at Man. Suggested Retail... But continue to not give them business, then don't ever expect good pricing. It's that simple.

I've seen some of you folks go panic buying for dozens of mags for your ARs... If you choose not to give a local business a sale because a gun might be 40 bux outside your price range, then you should be ashamed. And you wonder why small business are scarce because big box stores wipe them out. Sort of reminds me of my ex wife going shopping with her girl friends. She would drive an hour away and waste gas to save 2 bux... Never could get that through her head...

They treat me good there. Unless I can literally save hundreds of dollars or they cannot get something I need, I will continue to give them my business because I do want to see them survive and someday be the best shop in town...

Typos courtesy Apple...

Are they new? I was under the impression they moved from another location. They are not new to game, volume wins out over price all day everyday, something those box stores know very well... you try to nickle and dime people and sales drop.