Old Dog

The Lost Art of the Revolver Speed Loader

Thanks. good article. My wife and I practice with her little 605 and my Smith 27 and have got pretty quick.....but no where as quick as loading a mag however.

Nice, I have the HKS speedloader for my Colts.  I thought the 2 motions for the HKS speedloader was normal and did not know there was a difference between the HKS and Safariland.  I just purchased what was readily available.

I don't plan on shooting the Colts much but when I get a S&W for competition, I'll definitely need to get the Safariland for it.

Great article Old Dog, thanks for posting!  The Youngin's will get the idea!

I use these techniques in IDPA competitions as well as USPSA.  The reload technique was taught to me by my friend Mike, OTJ for 28 years, did lots of "stuff" including Dept. Training Officer.  I use HKS in both my .357's and .44 Model #29.  Been doing it so long it's second nature.  Reloading with the strong hand, from the strong side is the only way to FLYYYYYYYYYYYYY.....

Dave

Since I have relatively small hands, I don't have a problem with being burned by the forcing cone as I use my thumb for ejection.  I've also taught myself to "double-stroke" the ejector rod without looking at it as I'm reaching for the speed-loaders.  For those with larger hands I could see where the technique above would be very beneficial.  Especially for Noobs in an Academy situation.  Bottom line is that any Shootist that's practiced enough through the use of competitions will be a lot more adept at using either technique than someone who only pulls the gun outta the leather every 6 months.......muscle memory depends on actually DOING something, and being "on-the-clock" during the stress of competition will show who can "cut the mustard".

Thanks for posting!

Dave