Little Red Rooster

storing pistols and O/U longer term

I am leaving the country for work for an extended period of time. I will likely be back to the area every 6-12 months over the next few years.

I own an O/U and three handguns. My unlce who is very trustworthy, lives in a very safe area, and a gunowner himself has offered to keep my firearms in his secure gun safe.

**In regards to the pistols: what is the best way to store them to prevent damage, rust, etc????!

I am not a long time owner and have tried to do research on this online, however, I trust this forum for the best answer to my question more than random articles online.

I am storing a Kimber Custom 1911 (which I know can rust if neglected), a stainless Ruger Vaquero, and a G19. The O/U is a CZ Canvasback 12ga. Not so worried about the G19 or the 12ga, however the Kimber and Ruger are my babies and I want them in good shape when I'm back.

Thanks for your suggestions!! Much appreciated.

I'd just give them a good oiling , keep them in wax paper , and it's factory case.

but more importantly - legal issues 

You cannot just *give* your uncle all your firearms to hold on to for safe keeping. He'll need to legally take possesion of the firearms, The shotgun with a simple COE sheet you both fill out, the handguns each need a handgun purchase permit. You pretty much have to *sell* them to him to hold on to them, and then you return you'll need to *buy* them back with additional purchase permits when you plan on taking them back. There doesnt need to be any money exchanged, but he'll be the legal owner

Also, when you return - you technically will not be able to take them to the range on your own , he will have to go with you, since they are technically his. 

Awesome right? 

Bury the Glock in the yard, and it will be GTG whenever you need it. As for the rest, clean and lube them well, and leave a protective coat of oil on the outside (just a thin rub down). Make sure the safe has some sort of dehumidifier, or dessicant packets and you should be fine.

Otherwise, I can take them off your hands and put them to good use while you're gone.

So I guess I have one choice to avoid potential legal problems as there's no way he could get 3 permits before I leave in this state...?

1) I can store them legally in the Firearms Support and Storage in Whippany NJ which would allow me to legally keep them there for the time abroad and I will just have to pay the monthly fees to keep them there.

The only other choice which doesn't seem to be advised would be to keep them in his safe. I am completely confident that if I did keep them there, that they would never be removed by anyone except myself. He is completely trustworthy.

If I am moving out of the state- since my guns are registered with the NJSP - does that mean they'll get some sort of notice and look for where I am reloacting and try and track the pisols' whereabouts????

To the original poster, I "get" your meaning of trustworthy. Do NOT store guns in original cases. Many of them have foam, which acts like a sponge and will cause rust. My favorite anti-rust treatment is EEZOX. Great stuff. Also, if you are storing in an enclosed space, consider getting a Golden Rod. It heats up the air and prevents condensation from forming.

Now I am a bit worried about the legality of this...

Could I not change my official home registration address to my uncles and claim that as my U.S. place of residence and then keep them there in my own safe? Any LEO's have guidance on this?  I do have to change my permanent address anyways and was considering doing it there already.

I will still be a US taxpaying citizen and have a legal address - so I would think that changing my address to his home would legally count that as my home, therefore allowing me to store the firearms there.

That would make sense to me and I don't see why you couldn't do that. 

I have no connection with Firearms Support and Storage, and have never used their services.  But, were it my decision, I would store them there if the rates aren't out of line.  There are too many pitfalls leaving them with your Uncle.

Changing your residence, you would need to change your FID address and that could be a mess.

God forbid; a fire or theft at your Uncles place could be a very troublesome event with guns he does not own.

I did a bit more research and it seems that if I change my NJ DMV registration and USPS address to his residence - then that is considered my home and legal address and the guns can be properly stored there.

As for the O/U I am going to fill out a Certification of Eligibility to transfer the long gun to him legally so he can use it.

If you still intend to own your home while you are away, I don't see why you can't change your DL to your uncle's address.  Keep your guns there, and just change your DL back to your FID's address when you get home.  Of course this only works if you are keeping your home while you are away.

If I own a shore home, and a home in Cherry Hill, I can make either of those homes my home address.  

If your uncle rents you the space for say $1 (rental agreement needed) you can store your pistols without incurring the cost of pistol permits.  You will need to secure them such that they are no accessible to your uncle so there can be no question about posession or control. 

I would just prepare the guns for long term storage and rent a locker at a climate controlled storage facility located on route  to or from my temporary residence when in country. Simple, it's in your name,you alone have access and the newer facilities are very secure and I'm sure quite a bit less expensive and convenient if the OP is not close to Whippany.