Sign in to follow this  
ogfarmer

Christie vetoed-- A-3668/SCS for S-2467, 2471 -ABSOLUTE – Prohibits investment by State of pension and annuity funds

Christie vetoed-- A-3668/SCS for S-2467, 2471 (Jasey, McKeon, Cryan, Johnson, Quijano/Gill, Weinberg, Codey) -ABSOLUTE – Prohibits investment by State of pension and annuity funds in companies manufacturing, importing, and selling assault firearms for civilians use

http://savejersey.com/2013/06/christie-signs-budget-vetoes-8-bills/

Governor Chris Christie signed the FY 2014 budget into law today, Save Jerseyans, along with two accompanying appropriation measures; he also issued absolute vetoes for eight (8) separate bills (click here to read his veto messages).

Here are the broad strokes…

BILLS SIGNED:

S-2404/ACS for A-4112, 3675 (Madden, Oroho/Eustace, Singleton, Wagner, McHose, Egan, Coughlin) – Eliminates 10% surcharge on employee UI taxes during fiscal year 2014

S-3000/A-4200 (Sarlo,A.R. Bucco, Van Drew, O’Toole/Prieto, O’Scanlon) – Appropriates $32,976,962,000 in State funds and $13,427,159,762 in federal funds for the State budget for fiscal year 2013-2014.

S-3001/A-4201 (Sarlo/O’Scanlon, Prieto) – Makes FY 2013 State supplemental appropriations totaling $224,837,000, reduces FY 2013 appropriations by $398,006,000, and supplements various language provisions affecting appropriations in FY 2013

BILLS VETOED:

SCS for S-968, 1494/A-998 (Weinberg, Turner/Vainieri Huttle, Watson Coleman) – ABSOLUTE – Establishes procedures and standards regarding public service privatization contracts

S-2188/A3775 (Gordon,Weinberg/Wagner,Eustace,DeAngelo,Benson) – ABSOLUTE – Requires employer notification when relocating call center services outside the United States

S-2644/A-4233 (Vitale, Gill, Weinberg/Oliver, Prieto, Quijano) – ABSOLUTE – Expands Medicaid eligibility pursuant to federal “Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act”

S-2825/A-4172 (Weinberg, Greenstein, Sarlo/Mosquera, Lampitt, Stender, Jasey, Watson Colman, Wisniewski, Caride) – ABSOLUTE – Makes FY 2013 supplemental appropriation to DOH for $7,453,000 for family planning services

A-3668/SCS for S-2467, 2471 (Jasey, McKeon, Cryan, Johnson, Quijano/Gill, Weinberg, Codey) -ABSOLUTE – Prohibits investment by State of pension and annuity funds in companies manufacturing, importing, and selling assault firearms for civilians use

A-3807/S-2595 (Caputo, Tucker, Wagner, Eustace/Rice, Gill) – ABSOLUTE – ‟Corporate Disinvestment Property Tax Relief Act”; appropriates $13.5 million

A-3878/S-2673 (Conaway, Riley, Lampitt, Eustace/Gill) – ABSOLUTE- Requires Commissioner of Banking and Insurance to establish public awareness campaign about new federally required health insurance exchange

A-4171/S-2824 (Wagner, Vainieri Huttle, Stender, Quijano, Eustace/Weinberg, Gill) – ABSOLUTE – Provides Medicaid coverage for family planning services to individuals with incomes up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level

- See more at: http://savejersey.com/2013/06/christie-signs-budget-vetoes-8-bills/#sthash.KDegyO7J.dpuf

Governor Chris Christie signed the FY 2014 budget into law today, Save Jerseyans, along with two accompanying appropriation measures; he also issued absolute vetoes for eight (8) separate bills (click here to read his veto messages).

Here are the broad strokes…

Christie vetoed-- A-3668/SCS for S-2467, 2471 (Jasey, McKeon, Cryan, Johnson, Quijano/Gill, Weinberg, Codey) -ABSOLUTE – Prohibits investment by State of pension and annuity funds in companies manufacturing, importing, and selling assault firearms for civilians use

Interesting ... 'cause that's one of the bills I saw little if any downside to Christie signing. (Feelgood meaningless legislation.)

Interesting ... 'cause that's one of the bills I saw little if any downside to Christie signing. (Feelgood meaningless legislation.)

Im still glad he vetoed it . First it punishes gun makers for making guns that's just trite and childish at best, borderline extortion at worst. Second given the shape of the NJ pension system is in it's stupid for the state to turn it's back on any investment that generate a positive return

As it is worded it would have had catastrophic effects on pension investment. It prohibits investment in a lot of large retailers, several gun manufacturers, and any and all funds and annuities that hold them. It probably also could prohibit investment in any commercial real estate funds that lease to them. Possibly ban investment in shipping companies/facilities that move their stuff around, etc. This would seriously hinder a troubled pension system and increase administrative overhead.

Not really, NJ Pension invests in companies like Raytheon that make nuclear arms.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/chris-christie-slams-president-obama-93575.html

Chris Christie slams President Obama
By MAGGIE HABERMAN | 6/28/13 3:29 PM EDT

So much for the Chris Christie-President Obama bromance.

The New Jersey governor, distrusted by conservatives after his hug of Obama following Hurricane Sandy, slammed the president at a town hall meeting on Friday as “more concerned about being right than he is concerned about getting things done.”

He also repeatedly described himself as a “conservative” leader.

The moment, which the Democratic Governors Association gleefully emailed around, was written up by the Newark Star-Ledger.

The episode illustrates the delicate dance Christie faces as he tries to rack up a wide reelection margin in Democratic-tilting New Jersey, without further inflaming conservatives in key presidential primary states.

It would be more than a little strange to see Christie as the poster child for the Second Amendment -- but if he vetoes those bills -- I'll take it!

I predict he will veto most but sign mental health and 50cal ban.

I predict he will veto everything, with the possible exception of the mental health provision. 

CC's presidential aspirations will not go very far if he is viewed as unfriendly to the 2nd Amendment. 

I don't give a crap about all your ifs ands and buts. This is a start. A small bit of progress. A small beginning. I'll take it.

Yay God. Yay Big Boy. 

I emailed a bunch of NJ legislators to tell them that compared to Big Boy they have no brains. I have no interest in peaceful loving gun debates at this point in the action. 

Don't forget your thank you email to Big Boy.

thinking out loud here....a bill to pull out investments in a booming industry..with record growth is somehow "taking a stand/picking a side"? or just protecting pockets ......as much as everyone here thinks hes going for the w.h.... i dont think he is...and even so...all the anti politicians in office were elected as such...so its not hard to see what the true voting majority opinion is...while on the njgf its pro gun/2a......the elected officials seem to show otherwise...and in all reality any bills that hit his desk... unless they effect the voting majority (as stated above) which isnt the gun owning minority like the one he vetoed...will either be passed by default or signed with minor modification

thinking out loud here....a bill to pull out investments in a booming industry..with record growth is somehow "taking a stand/picking a side"? or just protecting pockets ......as much as everyone here thinks hes going for the w.h.... i dont think he is...and even so...all the anti politicians in office were elected as such...so its not hard to see what the true voting majority opinion is...while on the njgf its pro gun/2a......the elected officials seem to show otherwise...and in all reality any bills that hit his desk... unless they effect the voting majority (as stated above) which isnt the gun owning minority like the one he vetoed...will either be passed by default or signed with minor modification

I agree and his veto was "just protecting pockets"